Keeping a tidy case...Tips please!

RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
edited July 2005 in Hardware
Hello, as you may or may not know, I finally got my new PC built. Now, I want to put some pics up, but I want to get it clean on the inside first. What are some tips you guys would reccomend for keeping a clean case? I read the article on SM about wire management and such, but I would also like to hear some tips from you guys. I have 2 big IDE cables that are shielded that just take up half the case it seems. I have the 2 SATA cables, which should be easy to hide and then I have the numerous Molex connectors. I was thinking about unhooking the fans from the mobo and just connecting them to the molex connectors, the wire from the fan to the mobo is always in the way and is quite obvious when you look into the case(I have a side window). Thanks for your help.
-Kyle-

Comments

• mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited July 2005
    For the flat, wide IDE cables, split the IDE cables into strips and zip tie or tape the strips together.

http://www.7volts.com/cut_udma.htm
    http://www.7volts.com/round.htm

I have split quite a few 80 wire IDE cables and have only wreaked one. Spliting your IDE cable will really tidy up the inside of your case. I do reccommend that you go with the safety pin spliting method.

Also, load up on zip ties and electrical tape. Zip tie loose wires to your case. Tuck unused and excess wires away. If possible, you can tape unused power wires to the back of your mobo tray. For fan wires that are too long, shorten them by folding the wires to the length you want and zip tie the folded wires.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited July 2005
    put some thought into the routing of your cables. Take your time, experiment with folds and routing. Dont hesitate to replace a cable with a longer one to achieve a better routing.

Power cables are the hardest to route nicely. Take alot of time and try some different things. Be patient, some times it takes hours to find the right folds and routing.

sticky back mounting squares are your friend. they allow you basicly attach a zip tie anywhere you want. Electrical tape is ok, however a little goes along way. you dont need to wrap a hole ide cable in it, it looks tacky. usually 3 small pieces will suffice.

maybe ill take some pic sometime of some of the stuff we have done around here and post it up.

good luck...
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    those are some great tips. I have a new case on its way, and I'll need to organize my case a LOT more than how it is now! I'll try some of those too! Thanks
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    ahh yes you could also install filters on your intake cooling fans (ones in front of your pc) to prevent the entry of dust into your pc.. i hear pantyhoses work well :cool:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    Be patient, some times it takes hours to find the right folds and routing.

sticky back mounting squares are your friend. they allow you basicly attach a zip tie anywhere you want. Electrical tape is ok, however a little goes along way. you dont need to wrap a hole ide cable in it, it looks tacky. usually 3 small pieces will suffice.

It's true. I spent an entire afternoon a few years back organizing mine. But believe me, it's well worth it. Your temps also drop as a by-product of more airflow.

As for the electrical tape... that's quite nifty. I've wrapped the big 20-pin power connector in it ;D It actually looks decent. You can't really tell it's not heatshrinked unless you get up close and look. Plus, I have all the ports on front electrical-taped together, to tidy up. Hell, in our new car, they didn't even heatshrink some things. Brand new off the lot, and there's electrical tape on some wires and a bit of duct tape in there, too :rolleyes:

As for actual tips. Remember there's a lot of space between your motherboard tray and the right side of your case (or left if you've got those funky ones). Just enough to get a molex in there sideways, so use it! Also, keep in mine the quarter inch or so of space between the case's top, bottom, left, and right edges and the removable door on the left side of the case. You can easily route cables in there and duct tape them down. Don't be afraid to fold up those IDE cables and stick them between your optical drives.

And (obviously) remember - the easiest solution is usually the correct one. Any cables that absolutely must be seen (mobo power, for example) - make them as short as possible from where they go, to where they disappear. It helps a lot ;)
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited July 2005
    Mission Successful!!
    The case looks a lot better. The overall system temp. dropped about 5-6c! How is that? Thank you all for your help, my rig looks preety good on the inside now.
    -Kyle-
    edited July 2005
    Riddick wrote:
    ahh yes you could also install filters on your intake cooling fans (ones in front of your pc) to prevent the entry of dust into your pc.. i hear pantyhoses work well :cool:

yep my new case has 2x 120mm fans, one in the front with a filter.

Congrats Rivers! I wasn't able to organize my new case much, but it doesnt look bad. Its average for a case w/o a removable mobo tray. :)
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited July 2005
    I feel your pain! I don't have a removable mobo tray either, made things preety tough, I hid all my wires behind the hard drive cages though. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2005
    yeah i tried to do some of that, but didnt have hours and hours (on top of 3hours of work with transfering the case and getting it to work), to make it perfect. I used.. one ziptie and 2 pieces of electrical tape haha.. I'm real happy with how it is now though :)