new computer cpu mhz wrong

athalonheadathalonhead Member
edited July 2005 in Hardware
I got the cpu and memory and the computer turned on ok. I havent installed the operating system yet.
On the 1st screen it says the cpu is 600mhz. and the memory is 100 mhz. What do I have to do to correct this. or waht other specs do you need. I want to get the bios rite efore installing windows.
In bios
hardeware monitor
vcore voltage 1.63volts in

advanced
cpu external frequency 100mhz
cpu frequency multiple 14.0 volts
xcpu vcore 1.575 volts

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    This is a mobile athlon XP, right? It will default to 600 mhz until you set the proper multiplier and FSB. Assuming you're talking about the system in your sig, the rated speed for that chip is 2.0 Ghz. So, set your multiplier to 10x, and your FSB to 200mhz in the BIOS, and it should be ok.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited July 2005
    Yes it is the one in the sig I changed the multiplier to 10x.

when I change memory frequency from auto -to by speed -
    the resulting frequency changes from auto to 200mhz
    Is this what I want or am I missing somthing.
    edited July 2005
    Yup, 200mhz is correct for both your memory and your front-side (what it's calling your "external") bus.
    edited July 2005
    I must be doing somthing wrong because the computer shows a black screen even though it is on. I have to push and hold the button to turn it off and when I turn it back on it says it is in safe mode and go into bios to set cpu
    this is what i did
    cpu external frequency set from 100 mhz to 200mhz
    cpu frequency multiple setting from auto to menu
    cpu frequency multiple from 14.0v to 10.0v
    memory frequency from auto to by speed
    which changed resulting frequency from auto to 200mhz
    I also changed system performance from optimal to user defined and changed the memory frequency that way with the same results
    after saving settings and exit bios comp does not restart and the screen goes black. I have to push and hold power button to turn comp off It then starts in safe mode
  • edited July 2005
    One other thing you might need to do is to set your vcore voltage up from what the board is trying to run it at. See if there is a setting in bios that allows you to set the processor core voltage and then manually set it for around 1.6v and see if it will boot. If I remember right, my 2600 would default to 1.45v or so unless it was manually set in bios.
    edited July 2005
    Vcore is set at 1.575- I set it at 1.6 along with the other changes with the same results. should I just chage the core voltage and nothing else?
    edited July 2005
    Setting the voltage to 1.6 isn't a bad idea, but it shouldn't be absolutely necessary. Those mobile chips are designed to run at low voltages.

I had a similar problem with my computer not restarting after BIOS changes. I ended up having to hold down the button to turn it off, then turn of the PSU, turn the PSU back on, and then start the computer. It did actually save the BIOS changes each time, but it wasn't wanting to restart.
    edited July 2005
    Ok I set the cpu multiplier to 12.0v cpu external to 166 mhz now it says unknown cpu but the mhz now says 2000mhz. if i set multiplier at 10and cpu external at 200 after saving settings and exit bios comp does not restart and the screen goes black. I have to push and hold power button to turn comp off It then starts in safe mode.