Athlon X2's - Toledo and Manchester

OrianeOriane Turn around.
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I'm new here and kind of overwhelmed by this forum, but there is some good stuff too. Sooo ....

I'm thinking about the X2 as my next CPU. This thread I'd like to talk about them and if there is one already, I haven't found it- please post it. I found the following which I thought was really good considering they seemed to put it in the ring with everything else that's worthy-

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q2/athlon64-x2/index.x?pg=1

Thoughts please. I'm thinking ASUS A8N- but I haven't cared about this stuff in a while. Good mobo / memory recommendations appreciated. I'm thinking 2GB mem min.

Also, I do game but I do more with RL number crunching and video editting- which is what is really pushing me to upgrade.

But if you want to use this thread to just talk these procs go for it- it's not just about what I want.

Thanks everyone.

Current system-

AMD 2600+ Barton Core - OC'd 15% (191/166)
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Rev2 1008
PowerColor ATI X800XT (replaced 9600 Pro) stock 500/500
Antec TrueBlue Power 480W
1GB(2x512) Kingston Hyper-X PC3200, 2-3-2-6
74GB SATA Raptor + 160GB WD ATA
Plextor 716A DVD+-RW & LiteOn DVDROM/CDRW
WinXPro Sp2

(Planning to reuse X800, Raptor, PS, and Plex.)

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    You're Only Choices are

1) DFI Lanparty UT (NF3 AGP - X2 support with original BIOS)
    2) MSI K8N Neo2 (NF3 AGP - X2 support with BIOS v1.9)
    3) Abit AV8 (K8T800 Pro - X2 support with BIOS v22)

They all have their good points and bad points. I have all three and the Abit has given me the least amount of problems. Make of that what you will.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I hate to break it to you, but if you want to update to the newest components, your video card isn't going to work. You're going to need to buy one generation out of date.
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited August 2005
    Thanks.
    Thrax wrote:
    I hate to break it to you, but if you want to update to the newest components, your video card isn't going to work. You're going to need to buy one generation out of date.

True, and don't hate to say so- I'm just getting up to speed-

I'm not stuck on AGP though. It's okay to dream and talk PCI-Ex here.

In my case, if I do go PCI-Ex it may be a X8xx$ (maybe AIW-like) card (<$400). But this discussion can go to the sky if it wants.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    my friend has an Asus A8N board and he's running a X2 4800+ on it just fine (can you point me to discussions to the contrary Omega?)
    edited August 2005
    Baron - I think he means that the A8N does not support an AGP card.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    my friend has an Asus A8N board and he's running a X2 4800+ on it just fine (can you point me to discussions to the contrary Omega?)
    The A8N is a PCIe mobo. This discussion is(was) about AGP mobos with X2 support. Also I seem to have a blind spot concerning Asus :)

The Asus A8V (K8T800 Pro) probably supports the X2 also (Latest BIOS has a 07/29/2005 date)
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2005
    Just make the full jump, would be my advice (as I just made this jump myself)

I'd reccomend a Toledo, dual 1MB caches rock. Also, the 4400+s seem to be good overclockers, it's rare to find one where either core will complain about less than 2.5GHz... which is above 4800+ specs. :D

For reference, I'm doing a 4400+ in an A8N-SLI Premium, with an x800xl. It's a dream. : )
    edited August 2005
    Jonsey wrote:
    For reference, I'm doing a 4400+ in an A8N-SLI Premium, with an x800xl. It's a dream. : )

Wow. Congrats- :cool:

Please post how it goes- with stock numbers if you can and for sure if you OC. Either way is sounds like you're going to have a great machine.

I think FAH might be liking these too *>thinking of all those single-thread games<*.