Curious...

edited August 2005 in Folding@Home
I'm just wondering how many points you guys have accumulated, and how long it took you to get there.

I'm running this now on 2, possibly 3 machines soon, and I'd just like to know have a timeframe of when I'll be in the top 100.

Right now each of my pc's is working on two huge proteins that should be done in a day or two, so my score should jump a bit, but everytime I load something up on this machine it goes back a few hours, or days.

But regardless give me a reference point.

---

1. How long have you been folding?
2. How many machines, and what specs, are you folding?
3. How many points have you accumulated?

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I'm now entering year 4. :)

How long others have folded won't be an accurate measure of how long it takes to get to a certain point level. Points are always increasing, so it takes less and less time to get to point values. When I started, units were sometimes worth fractions of a point. Now there are 100+ point work units. They do this to weight the game in favor of fresh blood in the friendly competition :)

I'm folding on like a dozen systems. You'll have to check out my stats to see my point level because I only pay attention to how close prof is to me :eek2:
  • edited August 2005
    This makes me consider sneaking this onto peoples PC's.

Competition makes people fiesty :D
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I've been folding since we were the icrontic team, ~3 years(??) ago. I have about 37 active machines, and the slowest one is my Opteron 142 which is a 1.6ghz processor, next slowest is my A64 3200+(2ghz), then after that, I believe all the machines are 2.8GHz P4's. There's a couple of celerons in there too, and a pair of HT enabled Xeons. How many points do I have? More than yesterday.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    This makes me consider sneaking this onto peoples PC's.

Competition makes people fiesty :D

If I found my PC overheating, slowing down games or racking up my electricity bill because someone installed something on there without my knowledge I think I'd have to go over and introduce them to Mr Bat and Mrs Fist.

:shakehead
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    As a team, we are 100% against "borging" or installing F@H without user's permission. Please don't lose sight of the fact that this is a charitable, volunteer effort.

If you want to have access to marketing materials that can help people understand folding and why they should join, see our recruitment page. You can also PM me your street address and I will send you a handful of Team 93 business cards, which are great to leave around places like coffee shops, etc.

As for the questions: I've been folding over three years, I have around 35 computers folding for me, ranging from celeron 300s up to ~3.0ghz p4s, opterons, and a64 3700+, etc.
  • rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
    edited August 2005
    :) I started F@H back about mid-December 2004, running anywhere from 2 to 4 machines. I'm surprised I've gotten as high as I have, but I think it was a bunch of 600 pointers that helped out quite a bit.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited August 2005
    Check your detailed stats at EOC:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_overtake.php?s=&u=149415

That will show you how many points per day and week you are pumping, and show you how long you will overtake other users at that rate, and who is catching up to you. Green names are people you will pass if both yours and that users WU rate stays even. Red shows people who will overtake you, and grey shows people not on your threat list.

I have been folding for just over 2 years now, since July '03 and have about a dozen units between home and work computers, folding for Team 93. I cracked the top 100 in April '04. I am currently stuck in the mid-30's, with a couple of overtakes threatening me in the next 90 days. :( Going to have to find some more systems to fold for me!

:smokin:

Dexter...
  • edited August 2005
    I was just kidding about sneaking that on to others computers. :p
  • RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
    edited August 2005
    1. I started folding about 2 weeks after I built my new rig, which was in late June 2005.
    2. I'm only folding on my one machine(the one in my sig) and I may have a 2.0 celeron folding for me sometime soon.
    3. I have folded 7000 points so far.

the end.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    ...You'll have to check out my stats to see my point level because I only pay attention to how close prof is to me :eek2:
    Closer than you'd like, I'd imagine. :vimp:

I started about the same time Keebs did. I made it to 7,500 points after nearly two years, back in June of 2003. That was pretty much all done on one computer, though.

On a dynamic team like ours it may be better at first to monitor your rank in the project overall. You'll find that you'll pass all the people who were Folding only for a short time pretty quickly.

If you go to the User Future page at EOC you can get an idea. When those big WU's you mentioned get turned in you'll likely see your future estimate look a good bit sunnier. :)
  • edited August 2005
    Okay well now I need to know something for this machine, because I seem to get less performance in game than I should be getting.

Which client can I use, so that I can quit before I load game, and start it up when I quit, etc....

And how should I go about installing it.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/download.html

I have my other machine running 24/7 on folding (3400+), and I should have my (intel 3.0) running f@h soon too. But this machine I'm trying to max out every last bit of performance because bf2 is so hungry when it comes to hardware.

Some tips would be great, thanks guys.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    You don't have to quit to play games, or for anything else. The folding prog stops as soon as you do anything else on your PC, It only uses your unused CPU cycles. I have it running as a service (I think almost everybody else does) so I don't even have to think about it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    it does take memory though - sometimes a lot. I disable it when I play games not to free up CPU cycles, but to release the extra 50-100mb of ram that FAHCORE takes up.
  • edited August 2005
    it does take memory though - sometimes a lot. I disable it when I play games not to free up CPU cycles, but to release the extra 50-100mb of ram that FAHCORE takes up.

Exactly, I definitely have noticed an fps loss since I started using it.

BF2 can use up to 2 gb of ram depending on your settings.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    I don't know, both of my PCs have 1Gb RAM and as far as I know games play very smooth. I haven't noticed any problems while folding.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2005
    I have been folding for somewhat around two or three years or so, do not know the exact time or anything, but it has been a while.

Right now I have two machines folding.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Ihave been running 3~4 years, from the old Icrontic days also.
    I have three KT7/KT7As running with TBird or TBread CPUS. They range from 1.33 to 2.0, depending on how cold the basement is and how much I can overclock.
    I have two NF7-Ss both running Bartons CPUs. They are at 2.3 and 2.1.

I am reliabley turning in 20k points/month off of this set-up.
    At that level I am loosing ground in the overall project. I was once ranked 1030, but now I am at 1070 and slipping.

To get an idea of how the points have changed look at the number of work units that various people have finished.

1,074 pantelija2 Futuremark.com 349,123 9,960
    1,075 edcentric Team Short-Media 349,029 4,203
    1,076 Mooz-AngaMt Overclockers Australia 348,955 2,004

The three of us have the same total points. The first guy is an old time folder and the last guy is a new commer in the last year or so.
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited August 2005
    I have been folding less than a year - actually my one year aniversary is in a few days.

I have alot of points - but then us Aussies are freaks of nature, we come out of the womb folding, if you have any Aussie genes you points increase, it's just a fact of nature, ask anyone on the team.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    tcith wrote:
    ...if you have any Aussie genes your points increase, it's just a fact of nature, ask anyone on the team.
    I can vouch for that. :vimp:

:respect: :ausflag:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited August 2005
    It's the "Vegemite" for sure. :D
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    I've been folding since I joined SM in June 2004. I had a faithful following of a dozen PeeThree's that earned the bulk of my points until the 'lab' was dissolved. Now I'm folding with my main rigs, including a 3500+, a Sempron 2600+ and some older machines that the rest of my family uses.

:smokin:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I've been folding since just before the old Icrontic went down. At one time, I've had as many as six PCs folding for me, but right now I have four:

1.83 GHz Barton Core XP2500+ (my PC)
    2.20 GHz Barton Core XP3200+ (my wife's PC)
    2.00 GHz TBred Core XP2400+ (mother-in-law's PC)
    2.80 GHz Presshot Core P4 (my parents' Dell)

As soon as I get my HTPC back up and running, that will add another 2.0GHz AMD64 back into the mix.

It seems like no matter what configuration of PCs I run, I'm stuck pretty firmly in 29th on the team right now. I'm expecting a few folks to blow right past me any day now.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2005
    It will be 4 years come Oct/Nov this year.

I've had all kinds of machines running for me. It started off with a P3 800 OCed to 833 MHz until I built my first computer with an 1800+. Those 2 alone were able to get me well back into the top 100. Then more and more people were adding computers and I feel all the way back to like 110-120 or so. Then I started adding computers here and there. I folded on my 1.6 P4 at school, several others I have built but mostly my computers.

Right now my lineup is:
    3200+ A64
    2.4GHz AXP
    2.0GHz Dualie
    2.0GHz AXP (Parents machine)
    2.3 GHz (Sisters)
    2.275GHz
    1.6 P-M Laptop

Believe it or not, on some WUs, the Laptop smokes all the others. At least the AXPs. I havent really had a chance to compare it to my new A64.
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited August 2005
    dragonV8 wrote:
    It's the "Vegemite" for sure. :D

Shhhh don't give away the secret, if all of them start gobbling down vegemite and realising the benefits then we won't look so uber ;D
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I've been folding since it started on and off. I normally can't afford to due to either the noise, heat or some other reason. Still doing it on and off now though, heh.