Dexter or other video experts.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited August 2005 in Internet & Media
I mention Dexter because I know he's on the ball with this stuff, I also know a lot of other members are also, so...
I'm thinking of getting this camera, http://www.panasonic.co.uk/camcorders/nvgs250b/index.htm
and would appriciate opinions. It will mainly be used to film the kids, family holidays etc. I have the Dazzle 150 that I use to load VHS tapes into the PC but what would be the best connection with this camera? would windows movie maker recognise it?
Cheers.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    It's got a USB2 and Firewire port on it so connection wouldn't be too hard, I recommend using Firewire as it has a better sustained data transfer rate than USB2.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited August 2005
    Yep, what Enverex said. Nice looking camera, has all the features you should need. Use the Firewire, it's faster.

Dexter...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Dexter wrote:
    Yep, what Enverex said. Nice looking camera, has all the features you should need. Use the Firewire, it's faster.

Dexter...

And causes less hassle when trying to import video I might add....
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    Cheers guys. I've never plugged anything in to a firewire port before so something new to learn. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2005
    bothered wrote:
    Cheers guys. I've never plugged anything in to a firewire port before so something new to learn. :thumbsup:

It's pretty much like plugging a cable into any other port. I prefer a nice firm grip on the cable, either right on the head of the plug, or about 1 cm (1/2 inch) back from the plug head, depending on the type of cable. I am right handed, so I tend to use that hand for most plugging operations, unless the physical layout of the sytem and its location on a desk necessitate a left-handed grip. I find the port I wish to plug into, using a small flashlight if the port is on the rear of the computer and the lighting is poor. I like to sort of "sneak up" on the port and catch it by surprise, so that it does not struggle too much and prevent a smooth, easy, plugging in operation. I line up the cable to the port, about 5 to 7.5 cm (2 to 3 inches) away from it. I double-check to make sure I have the plug the right way up to properly align to the port - trying to jam it in wrong could cause damage to the plug or the port, and could scare the port badly, making it harder for you to get it done right on the second attempt. I mentally count "1....2....3!" and carefully, quickly and firmly insert the plug into the port.

I've had great success with this method, and have bagged myself many a different port over the years. Firewire ports are fairly easy to align properly due to the V shape on the bottom of the port, so as long as you maintain a firm grip and a swift but sure plugging motion, you should be fine. Good luck!

Dexter...
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited August 2005
    :wtf:
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2005
    ;D Cheers Dexter, but I think the mechanical side of things shouldn't be too much of a problem. I was thinking more about applications or devices that use firewire, never used it you see, so it will be new.
    About the torch, I have mentioned it before but one day I'm going to fit a two foot fluroescent light under the desk, after all, I spend a fair bit of time under there.
    edited August 2005
    bothered wrote:
    ;D Cheers Dexter, but I think the mechanical side of things shouldn't be too much of a problem. I was thinking more about applications or devices that use firewire, never used it you see, so it will be new.
    About the torch, I have mentioned it before but one day I'm going to fit a two foot fluroescent light under the desk, after all, I spend a fair bit of time under there.

Well, as long as I gave you a chuckle, as was the intent. :)

I actually keep a fluorescent light on the floor under my desk at work, because I often change out circuit boards and a/v cables when I am testing gear. We had a spare fluorescent housing leftover from some desk assemblies, it is a fitted assembly designed to screw into the bottom of an overhead file cabinet and then light up the desk. It's nice, because it is all metal-encased with hard plastic over the lamp, so it's pretty solid, so if I bump it I don't have to worry abut shattering it.

Dexter...