Dialup Connection Issues...

Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
edited August 2005 in Science & Tech
I just replaced a modem that was unable to detect a dial-tone. The new modem now dials in fine but nothing can use the internet such as internet explorer, msn messegner, and even the ping command.

So far I have used a winsocket fix tool and a system restore back several months to when it was working for sure but still no luck. All the settings look correct. The strange thing is that there is no additional data sent or received after the intial connection; nothing is even attempting to use the modem. There is a network card but nothing is plugged into it. There is a windows a firewall, but it is disabled...

Ideas would be appreciated! :)

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    Run the Network Setup Wizard and make sure the dial-up connection is set as the default. Get rid of any other Network connections you find.

Windows Networking can be a real bugaboo. Once it gets an idea that things ought to work a certain way it can be a real pain convincing it otherwise.
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited August 2005
    Tried the network setup wizard but had no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though...any more ideas?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    in Device manager is the modem OK?
    I have had a hell of a time getting com port IDs to match with the actual modem.
    edited August 2005
    Yep, device manager reports it as ok.
  • edited August 2005
    I'm not sure how much of this applies because I work for a company dealing with high speed connections, but here's a couple things.

If it's new, drivers installed fine, etc, then it's a connection end problem. Most likely, your ISP may not have your modem provisioned (not sure if this applies to dial-up) so if they cannot recognize the modem, they won't let you connect. This usually applies to cable modems because I'm not sure if standard 56K modems have MAC addresses, but it could be something to check out.

Make sure your protocol is PPP and not TCP/IP.

And if you get an ip address (I think you do with 56K modems too), make sure it actually gets a valid IP address. If you get a 169.254.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 127.0.0.1, or 0.0.0.0, then...well, things aren't good.

I don't know much more than this and, once again, most of this stuff I spewed out is related to high speed internet (other than the PPP part) so I could be wrong.
    edited August 2005
    Thanks for your suggestions, but I recently found out that the computer is just going to be replaced with another one within the company.

No biggie i suppose, though it would of been nice though to figure out what really was causing the issue....
  • edited August 2005
    Take the computer home and play with it (unless they're gonna keep it...if they're gonna toss it, take it). Best way to learn.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    flyrice wrote:
    Take the computer home and play with it...Best way to learn.
    Good idea. :)

If that ends up being the case, send me a PM and I'll mail you a (free) modem. I have a pile of them six feet high just sitting here gathering dust. :mullet:
    edited August 2005
    Actually, it was a service call to a local office.(I work for an pc repair shop and ISP) So...I don't think they would let me take it home. Heh, not that it would do any good anyway. All I got is a cell phone and a cable connection at home...no phone service for me!

Thanks for the offer profdlp but I have my fair share of modems here at the office. :D