Seagate or Maxtor?

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited August 2005 in Hardware
I have always ran maxtor..not sure why, but i have. I've never had one dye on me, the oldest being 8 years old.

Im looking to buy a 250 gig SATA drive and ive narrowed the choices to seagate or maxtor.

Seagate has better Seek times and lower lattency.

All the while

Maxtor has slightly higher seek times and higher latency but a 16mb cache. The seagate only has an 8mb cache.

Lemme know what you think. cause if i get the seagate i wanna catch the sale and get my $5, otherwise im leanin towards the maxtor..simply cause i always have.

Both have NCQ so that is not an issue

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    not sure which one is better specs of the two, but a lot of people just dont like Maxtor. I have one, and its great (so far), and a lot of other people in this thread like Maxtors also. I'd bet that most people will say to get a Western Digital over Maxtor and Seagate. I would probably get a WD if I ever replaced mine.
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited August 2005
    Seagate has a 5 year warranty and Maxtor has 3 years.
    They both perform great and are fairly quiet. I'd go the
    seagate road just because of the warranty.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited August 2005
    Seagate. I've heard that you don't even notice the diff between 8 and 16mb of cache.
    edited August 2005
    ahh.. didnt know that about seagate :thumbsup:

do you know what WD's warranty is?
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited August 2005
    ahh.. didnt know that about seagate :thumbsup:

do you know what WD's warranty is?

I just ripped this from the WD site @ http://support.wdc.com.
    Depending on the hard drive model the warranty varies:

"WD Protégé EIDE hard drives carry a Standard Warranty Period of one (1) year. WD Caviar, WD Caviar SE, and WD Caviar SE16 hard drives carry a Standard Warranty Period of three (3) years. WD Raptor, WD Caviar RE hard drives carry a Standard Warranty Period of five (5) years. Western Digital Mobile and External Hard Drives carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year."
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    yeh...I dont particularry care for WD unless its a raptor, and if anyone would like to buy me a raptor for my b-day (march 17th) feel free too. I dont care if its 36gig or 74gig. but i may just go with the seagate considering the longer waranty and cheaper price.

EDIT: I like the new avatar pilotswings, i need to find, or make, a new one pretty soon..
    edited August 2005
    airborn I went ahead and ordered that raptor for your birthday. I chose standard UPS shipping, so it'll arrive in some odd place anywhere on your property sometime in March. Enjoy! :D
    edited August 2005
    awesome...glad to see that you have money to spend.

to bad you dont know where i live...i'll just have to search all of oklahoma for the box. ;D

EDIT: completely off topic and doesnt really matter at all. but i put my 6800 GT in my computer only running a 330 watt antec truepower. and i expected it to say its running on low power or something, but it hasnt said a peep. but i havent really gave it an exercise yet..the hardest thing its had so far is arx fatalis which came with it. heh heh heh...im such a cheapo.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2005

to bad you dont know where i live...i'll just have to search all of oklahoma for the box. ;D

Oh SHEEEEEEET !

Oklahoma? DUUUUDE! Your profile says your in Colorado and I just found your drive under the pillow!

Awesome!

Love Ya Man!

Tex
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited August 2005
    seagate...
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2005
    maxtor ( grin)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited August 2005
    im a maxtor man, i own ... i dunno a dozen maxtor drives?

i also own a seagate, it was a 1st generation SATA drive when they first hit the market, its alot louder than my new maxtors, but thats like 2 years difference so its not very fair.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Bad_Karma! Welcome back, I haven't seen you in a long time :D
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    I would go with Seagate. You probably won't notice any difference between them, though.

However, I've heard that 16 meg cache, since memory is so cheap, does almost nothing for performance, and is more of a marketing/selling point. Don't base it on that.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    Seagate

(In my opinion this is like as asking asus or pc chips)
    edited August 2005
    mm thats the first lie ;D
    no way! i just googled airbornflight and the first match was your name, address, ss#, location of where you keep your money, and the times that you're not home! I guess I'll just buy another one and ship it to the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited August 2005
    I went with seagate as they are the biggest manufacture of hds and had good reviews.
    Maxtor had alot of bad reviews-- BUT-- If you have had good luck with a certian brand maybe you should stick with them.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I have a relatively new Seagate 250gb SATA and I love it. Silent and dependable. I've not owned a Maxtor, but I've heard more bad things about them than I have Seagate.
    edited August 2005
    I have a more dead maxtors then I can count ... But 1 working one !!
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited August 2005
    WD or Seagate...I like the support WD gives you. Maxtor? na
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I have 2 dead Seagates, a dead Maxtor, a dead IBM Travelthingy, a dead Hitachi and a dead Western Digital. So in my eyes they all suck.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    Myself I buy 1) Maxtors or 2) Western Digital - I dont even consider Seagates.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    I've had many different brands of drives, failures in all of them, but usually once they're > 5y old.

Can someone PLEASE fix the spelling of "Maxtor" in the title. It's killing me.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    The Seagates I have had die all died when seagate had a 1-year warranty on the models in question-- and they all died after the warranty was up. With the 5-year warranty, it would be worth a try for the Seagate.

I agree wtih the majority that Maxtor does not have the best track record, have never returned a WD or a Seagate right out of the box, but have had to RMA DOA Maxtors and Samsungs.
    edited August 2005
    shwaip wrote:
    Can someone PLEASE fix the spelling of "Maxtor" in the title. It's killing me.
    lol first thing i notice is spelling. :shakehead
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    lol first thing i notice is spelling. :shakehead

At least the grammar and punctuation were correct...
    edited August 2005
    heh heh heh...i was in a bit of a hurry, didnt even think of spelling. sometimes i amaze myself... ;D I didnt even notice it till you pointed it out, too bad I can't fix it.

I dont know though...im thinkin seagate..because of all the good reviews, but I've always used maxtor's. so here is what im gonna do. I'm gonna flip a coin and if its heads its gonna be seagate, if its tails its gonna be maxtor.

HERE WE GO!!!

AND THE VERDICT IS..........MAXTOR!!!! (should I flip again)
    edited August 2005
    Flip till you get seagate.
    edited August 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    At least the grammar and punctuation was correct...
    yeah, yeah, yeah...
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited August 2005
    GrayFox wrote:
    Seagate

(In my opinion this is like as asking asus or pc chips)
    So your saying Seagate is like PC Chips I assume. ;D
    I have something against Asus. All my boards seem to die.

Anyway I would go with Seagate.