Seagate or Maxtor?

2»

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    And I've had 3 maxtors, oldest one is ~5 years and its still kicking. To each his own.
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited August 2005
    And I just had to replace a dead Maxtor. "You pays your money and takes your chances."
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2005
    I've mainly used WD drives and have had great luck with them. I had a 30GB Maxtor, 60GB Maxtor and an 80GB Maxtor all bite the dust. They were all older drives though (like the first generation 7200rpm drives). I just bought a 7200.7 seagate storage drive, and I've been very happy with it. It's pretty quick, and almost silent. The 5-year warranty is a real plus too.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited August 2005
    I have 2 dead Seagates, a dead Maxtor, a dead IBM Travelthingy, a dead Hitachi and a dead Western Digital. So in my eyes they all suck.
    Wow thats some track record with hds. Were those 24/7 computers?

My segate is working fine and is pretty quiet but this computer has only been running about 1 month.I le
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited August 2005
    Dell sent out a quick action team to my last employer to replace over 150 bad Maxtor drives. They replaced them with Seagates - nuff said.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited August 2005
    anybody think that the orientation of your hdd matters? as a hdd in a horizontal positon will last longer than those mounted in a vertical position....

also, i have had 1 seagate hdd (10gb), i maxtor hdd (80gb), and 1 wd hdd (40gb) die on me over the past few years. seagate and maxtor where out of warranty, but wd replaced my 40gb with a brand new one after almost 3 years. i might try hitachi or samsung next...but for now wd all the way.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2005
    As long as the drives not upside down its fine.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited August 2005
    upside down really affects them? :scratch:

100% functioning drives here, never had one die, although I kind of "screwed" one up and sent it into Seagate rma only for them to send me a drive twice as big (from 80 to 160) :shakehead
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Wow thats some track record with hds. Were those 24/7 computers?

My segate is working fine and is pretty quiet but this computer has only been running about 1 month.I le

Nope, not 24/7, just general use.
    edited August 2005
    D00D wrote:
    upside down really affects them? :scratch:

100% functioning drives here, never had one die, although I kind of "screwed" one up and sent it into Seagate rma only for them to send me a drive twice as big (from 80 to 160) :shakehead
    I read something one of my buddys linked me to saying the main reason emachines hdds fail so often is because there mounted upside down ;D .
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    why do they mount them upside down? :scratch:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    because they build those computers in the Southern Hemisphere where everything is upside down

we need to ask our Australian buddies if their hard drives are upside down :scratch:
    edited August 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    because they build those computers in the Southern Hemisphere where everything is upside down

we need to ask our Australian buddies if their hard drives are upside down :scratch:

No they just spin backwards :D