Device manager says I have 2 processors

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Hardware
Hello All
I am new to the forum. And only know enough about computers to make myself dangerous. With that said...Here is my problem.

I just finished building a new machine, It is my first attempt at a raid array. Everything runs great. But in the device manager under the hardware tab it lists 2 processers ??? On the General tab it lists one. And Sandra max 3 lists one. Is this a problem? Or just something to do with the array? There are no yellow bangs.

Here is a list of the components.
Mobo Intel D875PBZ (onboard Raid 0 ) P08 Bios
P4 3.0 Ghz 800Fsb
2 Western Digital 120Gb 7200rpm SATA drives
2 512mb DDR Pc3200 400mhz on dual channel
OS XP Pro with SP1

Any insight into this would be appreciated.
If you need more info let me know.

Thanks

Scott

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    The P4 3.0 probably has HyperThreading... which provides a "virtual" dual processing capability. It would show up as two processors in the CP, and I don't think that anything is wrong.

Welcome to the forums!:wave:
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited August 2003
    Not to worry my friend. Welcome to the forums. You have a new P4 with hyperthreading. That means there is one physical processor and two logial processors. It works like two but there really is only one. That is the way it should be. Enjoy the machine.
    edited August 2003
    BTW: Check out the Folding@Home forum here if you have the chance... you'd be a very welcome addition to the team! :fold:
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    That would explain it.

Thanks guys !!!

Scott
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Scott....

If you deside to fold with that bad boy... you need to install 2 instances. the Hyper Threading will only allow F@H to run on one of the processors. Let us know if we can do anything to make your say enjoyable.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    ...and the Vultures are circling. ;D;)

Welcome to Short-Media Scott.:cool:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    scott...fold or ill kill u....i swear to god scott...u will not live...mwahahahahha
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2003
    :rolleyes: Ignore WuGaRoO... apparently, he forgot his meds this morning ;);D
    edited August 2003
    no no no, WuGs... as vultures, we must wait until he dies to eat him... :hair:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    You got to give him credit, The WuGgaRoO doesn't do anything halfway. :vimp:

Edit: Noticed that you're from Medina, Ohio. One of my favorite Uncle's lived there most of his life. Beautiful place.
    edited August 2003
    Vultures , Killing , Threats........

Go easy on the new guy. LOL... I was scared,
    I had to figure out what folding was before I replied.:eek2:

Now what is a fella supposed to do..? Where do I get the latest scoop on Folding? This machine will be my primary business computer. What kind of security issues are there?.etc. etc.

It sounds pretty cool but , my business security is first.

Any links to these topics would be cool:cool:

Thanks again

Scott
    edited August 2003
    Folding does download information automatically from the Stanford server. However, if you run a good AntiVirus program with regular definition file updates, as well as a quality Firewall, you shouldn't experience any problems. I use Sygate Pesonal Firewall... it's been demonstrated as superior to Symantec and ZoneAlarm in blocking unwanted intrusions to your PC. Sygate actually asks you for each incoming or outgoing communication whether you want to allow it once, block it once, allow it always, or block it always. And for the "Always" options, it never asks again, it just does it.

As long as you are aware and monitor your PC's security, you should be completely safe, even running F@H. :fold:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    to optimally use ur 3.0ghz comp though here is what u need to do...first u need to download the 3.25bets console...which can be found here
    http://folding.stanford.edu/beta/beta.html
    download the console version and make two different folder on ur desktop labeled folding1 and folding 2
    now download the file into both folders... after this happens run the program in folding1, and for ur username put down whatever, for team put down 93 and the rest of the answers are no...except "changed advanced options" u gotta click yes on that....the rest of the answers are easy...for cpu put down 100, for low or idle, put down idle, and for cpu id put down 1

now do the exact same thing in folding2, except instead of putting down cpuid: 1...u put down cpuid: 2...cuz hyperthreading makes ur comp seem like u have two cpus..but u really dont...anyways..do that...then make shortcuts of both programs and put them in the startmeu->startup...afterwards, leave both programs open allll the time to rack up heap big points
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    scott said
    Vultures , Killing , Threats........

Go easy on the new guy. LOL... I was scared,
    I had to figure out what folding was before I replied.:eek2:

Now what is a fella supposed to do..? Where do I get the latest scoop on Folding? This machine will be my primary business computer. What kind of security issues are there?.etc. etc.

It sounds pretty cool but , my business security is first.

Any links to these topics would be cool:cool:

Thanks again

Scott
    Go here for all of the info. Our resident Folding guru, General Keebler, has put together a nice easy summary of what you need to know.

As far as security, etc. - no worries. This project has been in place for a couple of years with no known exploits, etc. It is definitely not Spyware/Sneakware/Adware, etc.

It would be great to have you on our team (Team 93). This is a very worthwhile project which is already beginning to pay dividends. Plus, we have a lot of fun doing it - Team 93 is known for being the place for fun!
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited August 2003
    All this may seem a bit daunting, but it couldn't be simplier. If these guys still haven't convinced you to start folding, I have no doubt this will:

http://www.teamshort-media.com/videos/foldflash2.exe
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    Man you guys are like vultures.

I like it.:)

Well anyway scott, the choice is yours. If you choose to then you can help out a number 8 placed team and possible help the rid the world of harmful diseases. The forums are a nice place to hang out and the team really makes it like a community. If not then thats fine too. The forums and team are always open.:)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Welcome to Short-Media Scott :D

I would apologise for the folding team but they are a law unto themselves ;D

Stick around, this place is a hive of information and the peeps here are a top crew :respect:

For your information...

Several of us run Folding@Home on corporate level machines on very secure networks. It has no spyware, adware or any such risks.

It's sending and receiving is no different to a web-browser (only safer!).. as it always initiates the connection to the Stanford server and never waits for an unrequested inbound connection (it's not a listening service) :)

Apart from that, stop in the pub for a :beer: and admire the talent in the babe thread :vimp:

oh and watch our for our Wugs if he hasn't had his meds.. he is harmless .. honestly :wtf:
    edited August 2003
    Ok Ok you have me in submission. I will fold.

Wugs....It is my duty to report you to SETI@home. They have been looking in the wrong place!!!

I did alot of reading since this thread started, This sounds like a pretty cool deal. My machine is idle most of the time. I would be glad to help. It will probably be a few weeks yet until I get the new P4 online. I am a one man shop and pretty busy right now. when I get the time I will put 3 machines on it. 2 p3's @800 and the new P4. And of course I will put in for team "92"

Just kidding "93"

As far as my original problem goes... you guys are awesome. I posted a question and had an answer in less than 5 minutes. What a great resource. And I am not through with you guys yet. I am sure I will have more questions as I tweak the new machine in. I am amazed at what a difference there is from this old P3.

Thanks a million

I will fold

Scott

wugs....the men in black will be there shortly............
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Welcome aboard! :)

Yes, each pipe internal to a P4 3.06 GHz will look like a whole processor to XP or 2000 and you can run a console session of folding as a Windows service on both at once. One session gets machine 1 ID, one gets machine 2 ID, and in the services mgt for Windows you can tell it what "processor affinity" to use. Any windows service can be given a processor affinity that has that option. Those programs that do not know about hyperthreading typically go to first pipe, so one way to make things faster for them is to hook services to the second pipe-- will have a higher number.

If you want to set things up, post and let us know what Widnows and one of us can tell you how to set processor affinities. The next Windows, code Longhorn and pushed back to 2006, will handle Opteron multipipes and P4 Hyperhtreads better. If you have XP, it is possible that the SP2 now set for 2004 early will have Hyperthreading built in. We wioll see more when word gets out about the samples being sent to some in a few months of early Longhorn Betas, if that feature is there early enough to be service packed, and if I learn it will definitely be I will let you all know as I do not sign NDA gags fro Microsoft but have lots of networking contacts such that if I know will be legal for me to tell.

That is why and what, gotta be "short" and brief here. :)

John.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    scott said
    And of course I will put in for team "92"

Just kidding "93"

Oh yeah, you're going to fit in JUST fine here... :D:vimp:

I think we're just about the most smart-assed team there ever was, so welcome home ;D
    edited August 2003
    scott said
    Ok Ok you have me in submission. I will fold.

Wugs....It is my duty to report you to SETI@home. They have been looking in the wrong place!!!

I did alot of reading since this thread started, This sounds like a pretty cool deal. My machine is idle most of the time. I would be glad to help. It will probably be a few weeks yet until I get the new P4 online. I am a one man shop and pretty busy right now. when I get the time I will put 3 machines on it. 2 p3's @800 and the new P4. And of course I will put in for team "92"

Just kidding "93"

As far as my original problem goes... you guys are awesome. I posted a question and had an answer in less than 5 minutes. What a great resource. And I am not through with you guys yet. I am sure I will have more questions as I tweak the new machine in. I am amazed at what a difference there is from this old P3.

Thanks a million

I will fold

Scott

wugs....the men in black will be there shortly............

Glad you are joining. Wugs would fit right in with Seti.;)

OT but GO OHIO!!

We have a lil competition with Canada.
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited August 2003
    LOL the fact that he had the balls to ask an Intel question here, with the being a pro AMD forum (yes it is) says he belongs here..

Welcome Scott.

Tek
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    We do make allowances for the honest, intelligent Intel folks among us. :eek2:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Leonardo said
    We do make allowances for the honest, intelligent Intel folks among us. :eek2:
    But they're kept on a short leash :p

Welcome to the forums scott and enjoy your stay. :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Loosen it up, will ya? Can't you see I've got Barton in the hutch as well? Jeez. (Too bad about the POS Dell P4 Omniplex boxes at the office - ain't my fault, see! :eek2: )
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited August 2003
    I have lots of Intel folding power. You have to take what you can get. Not a lot of businesses run AMD. :(

:fold:
    edited September 2003
    Hi Guys

Remember me ?
    Well I have F@H running on 3 machines now. The P4 is really chewing up the WU's. Some questions?? When it downloads a "packet " is this one WU, or the 500 it says ? In all of your guys post you have a WU score, is this score groups of 500 ? And what is a ranking ?

I am only running one instance of F@H on the p4 but the task manager shows both processors running at 100%. If I do want to run another instance...how do I schedual the processors?

XP Pro with SP1

Proud to be a member of "Team 92"

just kidding "93"

Thanks
    Scott
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Hey scott.

_I_ Remember you, I can't speak for the other heathens around here ...

A packet is one WU. It is divided into chunks. The WU you just got is 500 chunks. Our WU scores are in single WUs, not groups of anything.

I'll let a smarter person answer your dual folding question.
    edited September 2003
    It shoudnt be 100% on both CPUs. One client will take one or the other CPU.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    The different work units come is different sizes and are broken down various ways. Some count steps, some are broken into 400 steps, some just report the % finished.
    Ya, a 3GP4 will chew through them pretty good.
    When you get a chance visit the sig genrator and get yourself a folding signiture.