Help Wanted

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Milestones
Forum Supermod seeks milestone poster. Must have e-mail account and willingness to receive multiple e-mails per day. Ability to think of creative phrases for passing milestones a plus. Applicants should be familiar with typing ": fold:" repeatedly (or using the copy/paste functions) and the "create new thread" button. ;)

I'm slammed between my responsibilities on this site and the college year starting. The milestone staff is generally under the same umbrella. If anyone else is interested in helping out as possible, let me know and I will add you to the distribution list (as soon as I get the chance :p ).

I can't promise anything except my gratitude for taking a task off my plate. (at least partially... I'm not looking to hang anyone out to dry doing the milestones on their own :) )

Comments

• edited August 2003
    I could do without the flood of milestone threads, and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'd be ok with me if it were left to the individuals to celebrate their own milestones.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    TheSmJ said
    I'd be ok with me if it were left to the individuals to celebrate their own milestones.

Ditto :thumbsup:

NS
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Keebs,

If you want, I can do it if. Drop me a PM.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    It may be time for a modification to the system. I'll suspend the call for help for now. Thanks for volunteering, Necro.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    if nething i should do this...i got the 1337 skills at making damn nice milestones :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    I wouldn't argue with those who feel that people should post their own milestones, that makes sense in many ways.

I do know that it really made me feel welcome back when I was a new Folder and while scanning the forums saw myself being congratulated. It was totally unexpected, and much appreciated. I would have never thought of announcing it myself.

There are some who would never post their own milestone announcement (too shy, or too modest). I think there should be some mechanism in place to make mention of notable achievements. I like the current system, since it rewards more milestones early on in the process. I think this encourages the new team members, and might make the difference between someone sticking with it, or deciding it really doesn't matter and quitting.

And I know the call for volunteers has been suspended, but stick my name in the hat anyway. :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    On the old Icrontic when people were being congratulated, Im sure it felt special (I never did as these were the days when 1 work unit was worth 1 or 2 points, not 70) due to the small amount of people. But now due to the sheer amount of people getting milestones and the almost automated feel to it, it makes it seem as special as being called up on your birthday by a robot to wish you well.

Just my thoughts.

NS
    edited August 2003
    NightShade737 said
    ...But now due to the sheer amount of people getting milestones and the almost automated feel to it, it makes it seem as special as being called up on your birthday by a robot to wish you well.

Just my thoughts.

NS
    That's a good point. I wasn't able to put it into words as well as you have, but the "Iffy" title on my previous post was meant to reflect my mixed feelings. I have tried to put my own personal "way to go" message into all of the milestone threads, and find it hard to keep from repeating the same old (sincere!) remarks. We ought to give credit to Keebs for finding creative new ways to announce them. I'll bet his thesaurus and dictionary of popular idioms are about worn out by now.

I've been getting a kick out of Leonardo's "I got tired..." thread. Maybe we could appeal to our competitive natures and have a "Call Out" thread so people who are on the verge of passing someone could let the victim know they are about to be smoked. The milestones are arbitrary. I know I have more fun seeing myself move up in the standings than I do reaching a particular number. (Though I do enjoy both).
    edited August 2003
    They used to post EVERY milestone, too. I'd bet we're actually posting less now than we were for a time on Icrontic. The announcement in this and the folding forum describes the new system. That will further cut the number of staff posted milestones by about a third.

A "call out" thread would be fine, go ahead and start one if you like :)

I will continue to ponder how best to deal with the work load, including coding additional functions into the milestone script if need be and/or taking you all up on your offers.

You think it's challenging to make milestones sincere? :p I've been welcoming EVERY new member of the forums. Try to say "hello" 400 different ways ;D
    edited August 2003
    General Keebler said
    ...You think it's challenging to make milestones sincere? :p I've been welcoming EVERY new member of the forums. Try to say "hello" 400 different ways ;D
    Easy, my man.

Just put your lips together and go here.
    Piker...:vimp:
  • JakeJake Alec Baldwin's Chest Hair
    edited August 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    if nething i should do this...i got the 1337 skills at making damn nice milestones :)

From what I've seen, WuGgaRoO is one weird-ass dude. He's got my vote.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    NightShade737 said
    But now due to the sheer amount of people getting milestones and the almost automated feel to it, it makes it seem as special as being called up on your birthday by a robot to wish you well.

It's so wonderful precisely because it's not automated. I switched from Rage3D to Icrontic when I realized Icrontic was really getting some standing; I liked Icrontic better anyway. But Rage3D was impersonal about it. I dug up a thread a month after switching, welcoming me to Team 93; it had several replies and I'd never noticed it. At that moment I knew I would stick with 93.

This atmosphere is one of the things that makes us great.

Yeah that was pretty sappy but what I'm saying is it would be great to keep the milestones.
    edited September 2003
    I think they have been parsed to a point where it will be manageable from now on. That, and FA actually decided to post some so I can tend to other matters :p