Really loud radeon fan

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited October 2005 in Hardware
The fan on my video card is making a real LOUD noise when I start up my comp

MRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAer

then it settles down

any idea why its making this noise?

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    If its anything like the fan I had on my 9800 its a cheap piece of crap. I replaced mine with a zalman heat pipe system. It works a treat :thumbsup:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2005
    Would it happen to be an X850?

If so, mine does the same thing. It revs up to full speed on bootup, and then reduces to it's usual 5% speed. It's virtually silent at all times except at bootup when it sounds like four delta's stacked on top of eachother running at 14V. :D

I have never had my x850 increase it's fan speed during use. It only ramps up when it approaches it's maximum GPU temperature.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2005
    Clean off the dust.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Grayfox is right. Pull the card from the computer, and spray compressed air into the gap between the fan's housing and rotor. If it still continues to buzz badly, consider a little (half a drop or less) of light machine oil. The way you lubricate a tiny fan is by pulling back the label on the top of the rotor, which will reveal a pinhole. With a syringe or similar applicator, squeeze in about half a drop of light viscosity machine oil, such as "3-In-1".
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited October 2005
    I also have the 9800, I will clean my fan out tommorow and check back with you guys and see the results.