Linux Download

edited October 2005 in Science & Tech
First of all - windows sucks!!! :p

I tried to download a free copy of linux and all the p2p sharing programs but none of them have the original linux copy.

Can someone tell me where can I download a free linux copy?
or a p2p program that share it?

if someone have that answer email me - profugo12 (at) yahoo (dot) com :thumbsup:

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
  • edited September 2005
    Why can't anyone download Red HAt linux 9 Enterprise I liked to learn how to use that on my new 320Gb harddrive.

I tried to learn it a while back I have the software but I could never get things to work right like connecting to the internet. Everytime I opened up Mozzila I would get a yellow background with red text and that's it.

So I moved on to Windows 2003 Server Enterprise.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2005
    :) try debian its by far my fave distro.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Gentoo here. Running it most the time as the desktop on this machine, runs 100% of the time on my laptop now and have been using it as a server on my... er... server... for the last 5+ years.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Why can't anyone download Red HAt linux 9 Enterprise I liked to learn how to use that on my new 320Gb harddrive.

I tried to learn it a while back I have the software but I could never get things to work right like connecting to the internet. Everytime I opened up Mozzila I would get a yellow background with red text and that's it.

So I moved on to Windows 2003 Server Enterprise.

RHEL isn't free - Fedora is the closest free relative to RHEL.
  • edited September 2005
    Alright your right. How much does it cost I have it put it was given to me as a present. Only problem is I can't ever seem to get it working.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    If you want to try out RH Enterprise but don't want to pay the price for the support, etc, you can always try CentOS - it's very, VERY close to RHEL

www.centos.org
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    ...you can always try CentOS...
    I'm not sure what level of expertise you're at, but speaking solely for myself, I found it to have a lot of options while being manageable for a (nearly) total n00b (me).

I even got one of our future SMx rigs running on it in less than an hour, using Prime's Linux FAH Guide.
  • edited September 2005
    So if I use Centos (free right) I can do all the stuff I can do with my Red Hat Linux 9 Enterprise.

Because with the RHL I can't get anything to work. I followed all the instructions in their large manuals that come with it and still couldn't get anything to work.

Spent all that time installing it and the most I got out of it was a successful login as root.

I will have to give this centos a try what about fedora is that any good?
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited September 2005
    Wait wait wait... You are new to linux right? You are going to need something that is easy to learn, and an all-around distro.

I highly reccomend Ubuntu, i mean, its easy to install, great support, VERY easy to use, what else could you ask for?

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

get it here.

Oh, and its free.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2005
    has anybody tried Linspire? i got it a few weeks ago when it was free...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    JChretien wrote:
    has anybody tried Linspire? i got it a few weeks ago when it was free...
    I downloaded it, but haven't gotten around to installing it. I'm eyeing it as a replacement for the OS on my Print Server computer.

Sorry if this is slightly :topic: , but is this a dumb idea for a n00bius Maximus such as myself? :o
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Actually Linspire is made more for total noob's to Linux. BUT, lots of the software programs you get with a full-fldged Linux distro .iso set are NOT built into the Linspire distribution set by default-- you get to go get them, typically from Linspire's subscribed-to online library. Yes, it is easier to get them once you get a subscription and they are tested and sometimes reworked (and I do not know if the free version comes with one), BUT, for those that are non-noobs there is a much wider variety of software available free (free-beer, not take-use-and-never-submit-bug-reports, etc.).

I am using Mandrake or Fedora myself-- never can tell which I'll be posting from.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited September 2005
    I think Fedora Core X is a great starter linux distro. It's easy to install and use, but also very flexible. I've been using it for quite some time, and have been very happy with it.

I have also used Gentoo, but it is not straightforward to get going. Just about everything is compiled from scratch. Took me almost two days to get running on an old pee three. On the flip side, I learned more about linux from going through the gentoo installation procedure than anything else :D
  • edited September 2005
    I want to be able to find something that relates to RHL extremely closesly so when I am ready for red hat I can just install it and I am up and running.
    edited September 2005
    Why the obsession with RHL?
    edited September 2005
    Then, back to what I said, CentOS is the distro for you. It mirrors RHEL almost exactly.

If you're talking about RH9, which is pretty outdated, then you need Fedora. Fedora is the continuation of the RH Linux line.

So, to clarify:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL): Costs money
    Red Hat 9 (and 8,7,6, etc.) - End of lifed by Red Hat
    Fedora Core (1,2,3, etc.) - Continuation of the RH9 product line

CentOS: Community Enterprise OS - almost exactly identical to RHEL, but open source.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited October 2005
    So if I use Centos (free right) I can do all the stuff I can do with my Red Hat Linux 9 Enterprise.

Because with the RHL I can't get anything to work. I followed all the instructions in their large manuals that come with it and still couldn't get anything to work.

Spent all that time installing it and the most I got out of it was a successful login as root.

I will have to give this centos a try what about fedora is that any good?

You havent been clear on what all you DIDNT get working. I can chunk fedora on and it sees all my NIC's and sound etc... on the install. I run internet through a router and it figures it all out fine. the only thing I have to jack with is setting up SAMBA for windows file sharing.

Tex
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Listen, if you really, and I mean really want to get to know and understand how linux works, then I suggest you sit down and take the time to install Gentoo from the minimal install CD. You will learn more about linux in 5 minutes with Gentoo than you will from any of the other popular distros if you used them for months. I know because I used Red Hat, Mandrake, Linspire, and so many other linux distros over the years. When I decided to take the plunge into Gentoo, it was like the blinders were lifted off my eyes. Seriously, if you want to learn the ins and out of linux, go with Gentoo, and forget about a GUI for a while. CLI (command line interface) is the way to go. It'll be a pain in the ass at first, but the feeling of accomplishment you will feel after an app works correctly because you used the correct USE and FLAG parameters (it's been a while since I used Gentoo, can't remember if that's correct ;D) and it compiled correctly, well it's so much better than merely getting mozilla to run in your Red Hat GUI.

Once you get Gentoo down, then it's time to really get to know linux and that's when you start the journey on your own linux from scratch system. Again, this will be a tremendous pain in the ass, but you know what, nothing in life worth attaining is easy. If you take the time to really learn linux then you won't be feeling like a moron when you have to post questions about how to install your mozilla RPM because it doesn't work when you type make mozilla.rpm or your apt-get is broken because it doesn't work when you type rpm -ivh tar zxvf apt-get install linux.tar.gz. Anyways, that's my advice, you can take it or leave it now, but believe it because it will happen if you don't, you'll look back on this and say I should have listened to that guy because I would know so much nmore now.
  • edited October 2005
    Alright I'll give all of them a try, all on different harddrives. The obsession with RHL is that is what I'll have to use in the corporate world, because I just have to.
    edited October 2005
    You're missing something important: RHL does not exist anymore. V9 was the last red hat linux.

Red hat only does enterprise now, so RH Enterprise Linux is what you should focus on, if corporate usage is your goal. If you can't afford the $349 to buy it, then get CentOS, which is very very similar.

Fedora Core is the logical continuation of what Red Hat Linux was, but it is not corporate and is not an official red hat product.
  • edited October 2005
    I have RHL9 Enterprise and almost all the other versions too. Thank god I have them for experimental reasons.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Wait wait wait... You are new to linux right? You are going to need something that is easy to learn, and an all-around distro.

I highly recommend Ubuntu, i mean, its easy to install, great support, VERY easy to use, what else could you ask for?

Jengo is on the right track.
    I don't profess to know anything about Linux but I do know about Mark Shuttleworth and the fact that he is willing to put his money where his mouth is.

He is behind Ubuntu so I know it is going to be very sucessful and if he has his way it will remain free.

check out this link: http://www.iafrica.com/pls/procs/SEARCH.ARCHIVE?p_content_id=489569&p_site_id=2
  • edited October 2005
    I heard that that distro doesn't have much with it I'll have to try Fedora Core 5
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited October 2005
    I guess I'll be the odd one out and recommend SuSE Linux. They just released version 10.0. Install is a breeze, and the distro comes with many quality packages and apps.

They have recently changed how they release software. What used to be the "Pro" version is now released as free. They have changed the name to "Eval" and it offers everything the boxed set offers minus the tech support and the manuals in book form. There is also the OSS version which strictly offers Open Source software only. (The Eval version offers closed source items such as Java, Acrobat, et cetra..)

For more info, check out http://www.opensuse.org
  • edited October 2005
    Umm I don't like the sound of Gentoo it doesn't sound powerful enough. So with RHL products are free for me (Yes even RHL Premium Edition $2499). I'll have to try this Fedora (When is 5 comming out)

But I do have some good questions about the OS

What doesn't it support.

I need to be able to run Battlefield 2 Ranked Servers
    Dual Xeon Processors(AMD not exceptable I am looking for pure brute force power to get the most sells 3.8GHZ dual/maybe Quad one day)

4-8 gigs of RAM, 10/100/1000 Ethernet/Firber and Some pure T1, T3, --> OC-3, and in the future pure OC-192

External Harddrives, No Tap drives.

Hot swappable drives, powersupply, etc.
    edited October 2005
    Umm I don't like the sound of Gentoo it doesn't sound powerful enough.

Wow... Linux is what you make of it. Linux is only the kernel when it comes down to it. You can customize and add to it any way you want. If anything, Gentoo is probably one of, if not the most poweful Linux distro because of the fact that you can compile everything to run on your architecture, plus the ease of installing software is only matched by apt-get on debian. You have to stop thinking that Red Hat IS linux cause it ain't. RH uses RPMs for installing packages and you'll soon see how that sucks when you're confronted with recursive RPM dependencies. Give Ubuntu a shot, probably the easiest noob distro friendly, and very useful too.
    edited October 2005
    Yeah, what Kanez said. Learn more about Linux before you start passing judgement on something that you have no idea about...
    edited October 2005
    yeah that's like saying a pontiac is the best car because that's the only one I've ever driven.
  • edited October 2005
    mmmm ok. (Battlefield 2 tournament comming soon.) I have to finish updating 150 computers Windows XP update. We don't have automatic update because my people haven't finished test SP2 on the pcs. I know half of them will have to be reformated because of the damage it does. But as soon as I am done I will try the OS you speak of.)