Running Sub culture on winxp

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited April 2008 in Gaming
I'm having problem running that game. Apperently it's not good to have a modern computer and trying to run old games on it. :rolleyes: I know i've gotten it to work before but that was while i was running either win 95 or 98. It's made for 95 but i recall running it later than that.

The problem now is that it wants glide drivers, but that's for cards i don't have. I'm using a ati 9800 pro running catalyst 5,7. What do i do to run this game. It's possible to install several versions of the game including d3d and 3df. The only version that works for me is the software but it's really sluggish.

Unfortunatly it looks as if the company that made it is gone so there's no chance to get a patch. Wish is was as simple as running another game i have, Recoil. It too was made in the win95 days but runs just as nicely on xp.

Comments

• gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2005
    http://www.smiff.clara.net/utilities/wrappers/

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/glidewrapper.html

this might help it is a glide wrapper

also the Program Compatibility Wizard might be of some help
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    If you can't get a wrapper to work, you could always get an old Voodoo2 passthrough card and use it on top of your Radeon. The only time the old Voodoo should be used is when Glide is turned on.

I did that once with Deus Ex, to experiment between D3D on my GeForce and Glide on my Voodoo2. Yeah, the GeForce was way better :D

Incidentally, if you want to try it, I could sell you my Voodoo 2 for cheap ;)
    edited October 2005
    :thumbsup: those things are hard to come by

I kinda want to put a older box togeather

P2 or 3 450 - 600 512 meg ram voodoo 3 3000 etc

on of these days :shakehead
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    gibbonsl wrote:
    :thumbsup: those things are hard to come by

I kinda want to put a older box togeather

P2 or 3 450 - 600 512 meg ram voodoo 3 3000 etc

on of these days :shakehead

I had a similar idea :). I've got a Voodoo 3/4/5 (honestly I'm not sure) that I never managed to find good drivers for. I have a dual P2 system I wanted to put it in, but I never managed to get Windows to install on it. I wanted to make it my Quake 2 (w/ Weapons of Destruction mod) system :D. I guess I might give Linux a shot on it, since I think Quake 2 is available for it.

Jeez, where did I get all these Voodoos from? I have a Voodoo 1, 2, and a 3/4/5 ;D
    edited October 2005
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited October 2005
    Thanks i'll try the wrappers. I can't put together another system since i have no parts and even if i did i wouldn't have room for it in my room.
    edited October 2005
    Ok i've tried some but no luck. Here's what happened.

eVoodoo_v2.0.4 - Produced a windows with a evoodoo logo in it but nothing more.

eVoodoo_v3.25.zip
    GlideWrapper078b
    xgl200_v0.04a

Produced blank windows, most was fullscreen, but that's all.

I'll try more from http://www.zophar.net/utilities/glidewrapper.html later today. If anyone has any ideas why i failed please let me know.
    edited October 2005
    what about the Program Compatibility Wizard

did you give this a try

start menue - programs - Accessories
    edited October 2005
    gibbonsl wrote:
    what about the Program Compatibility Wizard

did you give this a try

start menue - programs - Accessories

Hmm didn't think about it. Thanks i'll try it and get back to you. :)

Edit

Nothing more than before. tried to set it for both 95 and then 98 but no go. I used all options but it did do one thing. When i run it there's flashes and the window goes from window to fullscreen then back to window but when using the compatibility mode i saw a logo screen so something changed. I don't recall seing it before.
    edited October 2005
    I'm starting to think that i'm never gonna run this game again. Doesn't anyone have any ideas. Looks like i need to go shopping for an old vodoo card then because i doubt those wrappers will work.

It kinda makes you wonder. Will games like unreal tournament work on whatever graphics card i'll use in 5 years or should i keep this one around just in case i feel like playing an older game. Wish i was a programming wizard, maybe then i could crack the game so it'll run on whatever hardware there might be. Oh well. :bawling:
    edited October 2005
    can you give me a link to the game and who made it

maybe I can find something to help

google comes up with a game but not sure if it is the right one

is this the one?

http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/subcult.htm
    edited October 2005
    The game was made from a company called Criterion Studios. They're not around any more but you're welcome to try google. I did a quick search but all i found was cheats and some reviews.

The link didn't work. I'll try again tomorrow.

Edit
    It worked and yes that's the game. I'll read the page in the morning. :thumbsup:
    edited October 2005
    the web page states their is a patch for xp

you have to contach them to get it

google does not help me with this one
    edited November 2005
    I've tried looking for a patch but it looks like i'll have to contact them. Hope they still have it.
    edited November 2005
    Well i sent them a mail but in the reply they said that the software version is all there is and that they found the patch via a google search so i did one and found some patches.

The patches i found was
    sccyrix - only good if you have cyrix card
    scpatch - updates version 1.14 and 1.15 to 1.16.
    scultamd - drivers for amd 3dnow
    Cyrix obviously doesn't work but i did install the others with no more luck. I'm starting to think that it might be a controller issue. If i turn graphics up high they look ok and surely my computer is fast enough for this when it can run UT 2004 without trouble so i don't think it's a cpu or ram issue.

I even installed Sandra but found nothing to worry about. Maybe the game doesn't like my wireless keyboard and mouse. I connected my microsoft mouse but no luck so i'll try with my other keyboard as well. The ms mouse is in case the batteries on the wireless runs down which they do every week but i kept the keynoard just in case something would happen to the other one.

BTW i realize that i'm not making myself clear on my problem. The problem is sluggish controls. The game can be run in the software version and graphics can be turned up to a nice level but trying to move the mouse or click is slow. This goes for the meny as well so it's not just in the main game.
  • edited November 2005
    Awwwww... I installed Sub Culture today and wanted to play again. What happens? I run into the same problem...

Direct3D gives me an error ("Error in loading screen") and Software results in the same input problems you mentioned (Using a noname keyboard and logitech mouse). I'm pretty sure that it is a problem of the game itself on XP then :(

Did you contact Criterion or UbiSoft?
    edited November 2005
    Criterion seems to be no more and i didn't think of contacting ubisoft. That's excactly the errors i get.

Go to http://www.n9gaming.com/pc/patches/s/2/ and download the patches there. Scroll down. Then tell me how it went. Do you think you could contact ubisoft. I'm not that comfortable emailing people. It's good to know i'm not alone with these problems.
    edited November 2005
    I soon have it. I got the controls fine by selecting compatiblility mode for win 95 but all keys weren't mapped. Also when i tried going back to the meny it complained about not finding the cd. I'm trying to make a disk image now and will see of deamon tools can help otherwise i'll get a nocd patch and hope that works.

If you install the amd drivers the gamma setting will be up to max but i just changed it and everything was fine.
    edited November 2005
    It looks as if the cd is in worse shape than i thought. It doesn't recognice the game at all now but i can install uninstall but that's all. Whenever i try to create a disc image it ends up broken somehow even though the copy process works. I need a nocd patch soon or i'm not gonna be able to play this game at all.

I'll try to copy again, this time with raw mode. It'll take some time so i'll get back later. I'm using roxio disc copier btw.

Edit
    Raw mode didn't work either, i'm stuck. :mean::confused: :bawling:
  • edited November 2005
    I had the same "no cd" error in some of the compatibility modes (guess it was Win95 then). I think I restarted or reset the compatibility modes or something. If your disc is unusable now I could make an image and send it to you (should be ok, since you do own the game :) )

What do you mean with "but all keys weren't mapped"? There is some stuff about keys and technical stuff in the .scg files though I have no idea what these files are for exactly...

I will contact UbiSoft if we can't find a solution. Let's try a bit more
    edited November 2005
    So resetting comp mode might work. I just reinstalled the game so i'll patch it up and see what happens. When i pressed A the sub went down bottom first but i can't find a key to make it go straight up. Also there should be a key to activate the rear motor. But i didn't check keymappings so if i can get the game running again i'll check that before starting a new game.

I agree on not contacting ubisoft. Looks as if we might be able to solve this ourself. I'll try using win 98 on compatibility mode because i think i once ran the game on it. Maybe that will fix the cd error.

BTW if the error is just in the game, how come all copies i make fail. I've copied games before this way so i know it works.
    edited November 2005
    I got the game running, check the mapping which wasn't complete as i thought, cruised around the reef and then attemped to dock. I saw the sub go into the dockingbay but as soon as it should switch to i video it complained about the cd again. So i restarted the game and went striaght for docking but the samething happened.

I installed the amdpatch only not the 1.16 patch and set the comp mode for win 95. BTW which version did you install, i went for the full one which means that the needed video files should be on my hd and not requier a cd. :scratch:
    edited November 2005
    I'm getting really sick and tired of this. Tried copying the files to hd and tell the game to look there then i ejected the cd. Same thing. All is fine untill dock. I'm gonna try installing from hd and see what happens.
  • edited November 2005
    I can't test more today. Sorry :(
    I'll try tomorrow before noon again. (Maybe this evening)

I installed the fullversion.
    edited November 2005
    Ok. :) I just tried again and can you guess the outcome. Well it was the same. :scratch: This game has one incredible cd check that's for sure. To bad it's so good. I'll wait with doing any more untill you're tried. I'm out of ideas.
  • edited November 2005
    Hihi, kinda success. Check your PMs. Most ingame messages are czech (?) now, but I will try to find that issue. It's in the exe, changing the other files doesn't help at all. Maybe I can find where the cd check is done, but I want talk much about this here (don't want to get kicked ;) )
    edited November 2005
    I don't see anything other than english in mine! But now i have no music. It's to be expected though since the game thinks all music is on the cd even though it akso was copied. I hate that cd. Love the game though. Played it lasty night and will continue soon. This time however i'm not gonna use any cheats as i have the other times. Check your pm:s. ;)
  • edited November 2005
    Hm, I think I should do a clean install ;)
    Well, no-cd and cd music looks like an impossible task to me. You could try to rip the CD to mp3 and load it in a player whilst playing. Yes, this sucks :(
    I don't think that a mail to UbiSoft would really help us, but I'll write one when I'm in the mood.

I'm glad that we can play software mode without soundtrack at least :)
    edited November 2005
    So you haven't gotten it to run yet, if so a clean install would prolly help. I've played the game alot now but unfortunatly i was unable to resist cheating and used a cheat the would give lots of money.

Can't say that i feel like ripping the soundtrack but isn't it already in software form or is it really tracks like a music-cd. That could explain why i can't hear it. I'll look into it.

It would be nice to know if ubisoft has any tips for us other than this constant patching but you're prolly right. Do as you like. :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2005
    Cheating sucks :P
    Just trade Plancton from the Bohine to the Refinery (I guess that were the docks), you'll get 80 -> 140! Pretty easy to make money that way without cheating :D

The music is on the CD like on a normal audio CD, you can insert it into a CD player and listen to it. There will be just a "play CD track #4" in the .exe.