Pics of folding computers / farms

Comments

• witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited October 2005
    I read your post Enverex and feel a little empty. I'm not a gamer, but I see by your sig that you have mastered whatever game that is - and I would guess you still play it to accumulate more points. But - you know - what's the use in that if we don't appreciate all you are doing in your spare time.

I used to be one hell of a Tetris player - but no one ever told me how much they admired me. :confused:

For some of us, this gets to be a hobby. I love the pictures and respect the dedication. I have never read one hint of bragging or showing off from either Sally or Jon - but in the thread that prof directed you to you will see dragonV8 or Jonshandbrake giving praise and recognition to fellow team mates along with prof and many others.

Since you have never been on the milestones and recognition page you don't KNOW how much that means to all of US!

I hope Bothered gets to page 1 - someday
    I miss Weedo
    and Sledgehammer70 scares the heck out of me. :eek:

You need to lighten up a bit and have some fun with other people - being on a team is good therapy. Jack
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    witenoiz wrote:
    I read your post Enverex and feel a little empty. I'm not a gamer, but I see by your sig that you have mastered whatever game that is - and I would guess you still play it to accumulate more points. But - you know - what's the use in that if we don't appreciate all you are doing in your spare time.

I haven't mastered the game, infact far from it. I hate the game and the only reason I play it is because I want the £35 of fun that it cost me, although that doesn't really work. And no, I don't play it to accumulate points.
    witenoiz wrote:
    Since you have never been on the milestones and recognition page you don't KNOW how much that means to all of US!

Actually I have, I used to fold under the name NightShade737, I was one of the first handful of people that ever folded for Team93 and stuck with it for quite some time. So I do KNOW as you'd say.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Enverex, it's not really cool to down other people for what they want to do. Why try to inflict negativity on others? if you don't like what goes on in this thread, just don't post :(
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited October 2005
    Enverex,
    To be honest, I was surprised by your post. Most of the older members either say nothing about Folding or are very gung ho about it.
    What brought this on?
    You still coming to this site, so I take it, it's not the people here.
    why don't you Fold any more?

Dragstk
  • edited October 2005
    Not to break subject, but the only thing I have is a laptop to fold with and I need to get some stuff off to clear up some space and do a defrag; other than that is there anything I can do to make it quicker with out spending some money? If I have to I will though.
    Specs:HP dv1310
    Intel Celeron M 1.5gig
    512 of Mem
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I'm sure there are tweaks we can find for you. Suggestion: open a new thread in General Software on how to improve your computer's performance, and we'll be right with you. (Nothing wrong with posing the question in this thread - just don't want to break up this thread with some more focused, like laptop tweaking.)
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited October 2005
    there are plenty of us out there with just one machine folding, i'm not around a lot anymore cause work and uni keep me busy but i still pop in every now and again.

The way I see it Team 93 has done an amazing job so far, everyone gets credit for what they do no matter how much or how little. I remember the day I passed 2k doen't sound a lot and since i'm never around it brought a smile to my face to see that even I with my one little machine made it to the notable milestones thread. There is a sence of community here not only on the forums but from within team 93 itself and you know what I like.

I take my hat* off to everyone that contributes in whatever way.

*well i would if I wore a hat but u get my point
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited October 2005
    Hey Prof,

don't take Enverex's rant to heart. He's obviously having a bad time about something and needs to let off some tension. Poor choice in ways to do it though :(

I think you do a great job with the milestones, it must take you ages every day and you do try to personalise them where possible. Good job mate :thumbsup:

My other observation is that the other members that contribute to the milestones on a regular basis are the big producers. It just goes to show that they are dedicated to folding in all respects, even to boosting the little ones along. Thanks chaps :D

Crypto :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Prof forwarded me a copy of the email he receives with all the milestones, be it a small one or a big one. The darn thing is HUGE. He has to manually go through and pick out the milestones that we normally celebrate and then come up with a clever title, witty post, and necessary artwork. 99% of the time he does a GREAT job. He does this on his free time, it's not some computer generated post, he has to create every single thread. There are days he has to do 20 milestones. Does it get a bit boring, I'm sure. Does he get stumped and resort to recycling an idea, sometimes. The point is... he isn't paid to do this. He does it because he loves the project.

As for the rest of us that chime in and congratulate the milestone recipients... we run into the same problem. How many was can you say CONGRATS. Ten times? Twenty times? The point here is.... we don't get paid to do this. We do it because we love the project.

This is as much a family as a team. A pat on the back, even if it is not the most creative, is still better than nothing and a heck of a lot better than most other folding teams.

We do cherish EVERY point that is turned in, for Team #93 or for Team Anonymous. One CPU or twenty...
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Back on subject!

here is the 3800 X2
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Nice rig, Gnome!!!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Dragon Thanks for posting the images! that is a nice massive farm! May I ask what you do for a living? I now have 9 rigs running at home "all AMD systems". I haven't added Folding to 7 of them as they are usually rendering my back log of projects and I need all the Ram and CPU power I can get for those, but during down time I boot them all up on Folding. I guess your running a hole lot of Intel Pent's with HT?

It is great that you are a huge driving force for team 93, I can only hope to get to that level sometime soon.

May I ask what kind of electric bill do you see monthly?
    edited October 2005
    witenoiz wrote:
    and Sledgehammer70 scares the heck out of me. :eek:

Dont be scared!!!! :) Im a nice guy here!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Nice rig, Gnome!!!

Why Thanks You
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2005
    Dragon Thanks for posting the images! that is a nice massive farm! May I ask what you do for a living? I now have 9 rigs running at home "all AMD systems". I haven't added Folding to 7 of them as they are usually rendering my back log of projects and I need all the Ram and CPU power I can get for those, but during down time I boot them all up on Folding. I guess your running a hole lot of Intel Pent's with HT?

It is great that you are a huge driving force for team 93, I can only hope to get to that level sometime soon.

May I ask what kind of electric bill do you see monthly?

Glad to oblige with the pics. :)

Most of the computers are Intel, though we do have about 6-7 Amd's.
    I'm just a supervisor in a goldmine here in West Oz. Were not rich, just average working class.
    Been adding a computer here and there to help the Team get back into the top 10.
    It has become a bit of a hobby with us. As Sally is unable to work or drive, her farm is sure keeping her busy and her mind active.

As for the power bill. :rolleyes: It sure is stopping me from being able to look towards retirement. :D
    edited October 2005
    LOL, retirement what is that ? I still ahve about 500 years to go :)

But I have done allot of upgrades to my famrs/ rigs I will have t post some updated images!
  • MacaholicMacaholic 1 Infinite Loop
    edited October 2005
    Very nice dragon. I like the Antec p160 cases. Never really splurged on one. Always glad to see other individual donors that have been afflicted by folding. As you say, just keep building and purchasing more over time. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    As for the power bill.
    Wild thought... Does the Australian government give tax breaks or other incentives for home use of solar panels? Long shot, I know. Solar panels have never caught on because of their horrendous expense and relatively small energy return on investiment, but one never knows. I realize not all of Australia is the sunny land depicted in tourist brochures, but MUCH of it is! :D
    edited October 2005
    Macaholic wrote:
    Very nice dragon. I like the Antec p160 cases. Never really splurged on one. Always glad to see other individual donors that have been afflicted by folding. As you say, just keep building and purchasing more over time. :)

Thanks Macaholic. Sally seems to have a good eye for cases without actually first seeing them in the flesh. First the Super LanBoy's and now the P160's.

Me, i'm happy with my 2 Lian Li's. :)

Just wish it wasn't so addictive. :D
    edited October 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Wild thought... Does the Australian government give tax breaks or other incentives for home use of solar panels? Long shot, I know. Solar panels have never caught on because of their horrendous expense and relatively small energy return on investiment, but one never knows. I realize not all of Australia is the sunny land depicted in tourist brochures, but MUCH of it is! :D

Leo, the government gives a lot of incentives. Solar panels for hot water etc.
    I did a bit of a search on solar panel pricing. :shakehead

As we have plenty of wind might have to research wind turbines. :)
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Here is my little farm.

The first pic is of 4 headless machines that sit and do nothing but fold.
    The watercooled NF7 is a spare gamer and rarely gets used for anything but folding. The one next to the TV ( With the bear on top ) is the Media center. Also gets little use, except some evenings. The other 3 are .. my main rig , my wifes and my daughters.
    ALL FOLD, ALL THE TIME. We just borrow some cpu cycles on ocassion.

9 for me :)

Scott
    edited October 2005
    Great looking setup, Scott. Always nice to see a few pics. :thumbsup:

If only your location was Medina W.A. i'd be able to say hello. (it's about 30 miles south of us). :)
  • edited November 2005
    Small setup but it still works!

totally forgot that I folded for you guys awhile back!
    edited November 2005
    I have updated images of my Farm! in my office at home :)

Main_Desk.jpg
    Main_Interior.jpg
    main_tower.jpg

A few of the newbies to my rendering madness!
    New_towers.jpg

My 2 new project Mini ATX towers :)
    New_projects.jpg
    New_projects_2.jpg
    edited November 2005
    Nice. What you plan on doing with the "project" Antec Aria's?
    edited November 2005
    I want to sell them! IM looking for a new home for one brand new one in the box. the other one I already have all the components installed, But the damn thing wont post:(
    edited December 2005
    Any new Farm images out there? Maybe Prof. will give us an image of his almight workbench :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    I'll try, but I need to move about six wheelbarrows-full of stuff first. ;D
    edited December 2005
    The joy is taking an image as is, to show the enviornment these bad boys are working in :)
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited January 2006
    Ok I am back in the United States, and I thought I would send a pic of my new workstation. When finished the computer parts will be displayed under the acrylic radiation symbol and lit up by a blue neon.

dsc00877.jpg