Soul Calibur 2

NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
edited September 2003 in Gaming
Well I've read a little bit about Soul Calibur 2 on Gamespy and the game looks pretty good. Since it looks pretty good and I've been wanting a fighting game I went and got it for my PS2 (yes I know I can't play Link on the PS2 and it royally suxx0rz). I havn't played it yet since my PS2 is at my apartment and I am at home for the weekend.

Anyhoo has anyone else played the game yet? I saw some game play footage of Talim a while back at Penny Arcade and it looks like there are some kick ass combos. I've never been a real big fighting game person but I am hoping to change that with this game. With any luck I should be able to pick up on some combos and what not. Right now I am not evens ure what character I wanna play. Heck I am not even sure which characters there are. Talim looks like she is pretty good judging from what I have seen. What characters are you all playing? Got any good combo tips? Just thought I'd make a post and see what everyone thinks of the game so far.

Norge

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    i played it at EB for the game cube it royaly rocks cause of link. I am just waiting for it to drop in price a bit before i pick it up for my gc
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    Yeah I really wish I could play Link. The PS2 version gets some wierd old guy from Tekken. Do you like the game wihtout Link though or is that the only character you played?

Norge
    edited August 2003
    it is a great game even without link But link just adds alittle bit more kick@$$ to it!
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited September 2003
    I don't think any of the bonus characters fit into the game (nor the extra guy for all platforms from Todd McFarlane...forgot his name). I was really wary of all of them, but figured Link would fit in better than the other two. Well, from a character development standpoint, my expectations were certainly exceeded, although I wish he'd talk more. Sadly, I keep hearing how the exclusive characters are way overpowered and have been banned from competetive play. I actually had a rougher time playing through arcade with link than I did with Talim and Taki, but he's not exactly my playing style and I bet if I were more familiar with him I'd understand the "overpowered" thing more.

However, I have picked it up for gamecube and really like the game - tho I don't see that much of an improvement over the dreamcast predecessor gameplay-wise (and many of the stages look to me like they could have been done on the DC.

Talim really is pretty kick-@$$ and alot of fun to play. Take is awesome as always, but the developers have put her into a massive fan-service role this time...she's practically the Mai Shiranui of the series now (you'll especially understand once you finish the arcade mode with her). Mitsurugi has some good combos, but beware of coming up short on an attack, because you will get hurt.

The team battle mode is also nice ;)

Gnomewizardd: I think you're going to be waiting a LONG time for the price on this one to drop...I think it'll be like Halo on xbox - 2 years later and still full price.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Garg has it. He plays it more than he plays SWG. Its super tight. I suck at it.
    edited September 2003
    Yeah I finally got to play the game last night and it is pretty kick ass. I've already beat the arcade on normal with 5 characters and I'm currently working on weapon master mode. So far Talim is my favorite character since she has fast attacks and decent blocking. I don't really like the Tekken guy they added for the PS2 at all. His attacks are all really short range and don't do a whole heck of a lot. I must say that Voldo is prolly the strangest character I've ever seen. You gotta admit the guy is a pimp though. What with all the wierd moves and fancy clothes. So far I really havn't figured out anyone aside from Talim who I like. I'm trying to find someone with a fast fighting style who isn't quite so wimpy as Talim. I mean she ask if the other person is ok before a battle. How wussy is that? She should at least make fun of em when she wins or something.

Norge
    edited September 2003
    Ill find it used sooner or later for 30 bux
  • KiriAKiriA Albuquerque, NM
    edited September 2003
    I played the hell out of the GameCube Import version...and I would have to say that it's a great fighting game...but it DOES get old...quite fast too... If I had to put the system versions in order of "betterness" I would have to go:
    1st - Xbox
    2nd - GameCube
    3rd - PlayStation 2

The PS2 got JACKED HARDCORE on this game... It looks the worst...and Heihachi doesn't help the cause either... GameCube is a good version of the game...except Link. I love Nintendo and everything they have ever done...especially the Legend of Zelda series...but Link isn't good in SC2... His moves suck...and he just isn't good...no matter what you say... Xbox got the best version in my eyes. It has the best texturing...it seems to load the fastest...and Spawn is byfar the best "Exclusive" character added. Namco had a good idea going when they made exclusive characters...but I personally think they should have made ALL NEW characters for the three systems...

Don't even get me started on Necrid...

That is all. =)
  • KiriAKiriA Albuquerque, NM
    edited September 2003
    For some reason it posted 2 times...so I'll say that Talim is a good character!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I picked up the PS2 version the day it came out. I've been craving this game for a long time! JACKED HARDCORE is a little dramatic. It still looks better than the DC Soul Calibur, and that game looked fantastic. I own all three Soul Blade games, and boy howdy have we come a long way from the playstation version (and even more so from the original Soul Edge arcade).

The plot is the best in any fighting game I've played. Even more weapons than in Soul Blade. Edge Master is even more expansive. Lots of characters (hell, I've still not played as them all, since I'm still getting a feel for my favorites from the last 2 games).

To me, this game took everything that was great about Soul Blade, expanded on it, and gave it even better graphics than Soul Calibur.

I've heard it looks the best on the X-box, but I have a hard time imagining how without seeing it. I still have flashbacks of the blocky graphics and laggy action of the PS1 game, so I'm totally satisfied. Heihachi seems out of place, but I'm sort of honored that Namco gave the playstation users one of their own.

And my God Talim is mean! The word combos applies best to her. Don't let her get on a roll!
    I love the way Soul Edge fights in the new game. Changes weapons twice in the middle of the single round, and he uses the badass Soul Edge and Soul Calibur weapons in Edge Master mode.

I'm working on going through Edge Master for the second time now. Must not rest until every feature is unlocked!

(edit for spelling)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I like to play Talim; the speed is really impressive. I think the reason why everyone was saying how Link is overpowered, is because he has long range attacks, like the arrows that can shoot all the way across the arena, and the bombs he throws.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2003
    i played talim originally, but having played a LOT at arcades, i can say without a doubt that once you get into the game the most powerful characters are Voldo, Raphael, and Kilik. fortunately i play none of them, astaroth all the way!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I'm afraid to say who my favorite characters are, Namco keeps killing them off or taking them out of the sequel!

Han Myong - "guest fighter" in Soul Blade only
    Li Long - Dies at end of Soul Blade
    Sigfried - my original favorite, taken out of the lineup after SC1
    Hwang - swapped out for similar, yet less cool Yunsung in SC2

It's ok though... Namco doesn't have the guts to kill off Mitsurugi.

Do they? :wtf:

They totally need to make Tanegashima from SB playable :) (the guy with the rifle, heh)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Slapping Link in Soul Calibur 2 is like putting Mario in Mortal Kombat. :skeptic:
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited September 2003
    KiriA said
    Xbox got the best version in my eyes. It has the best texturing...it seems to load the fastest...and Spawn is byfar the best "Exclusive" character added. Namco had a good idea going when they made exclusive characters...but I personally think they should have made ALL NEW characters for the three systems...

Don't even get me started on Necrid...

Spawn to me seems the worst addition by far. He fits in about as well as Necrid (who I think is horrible). Link is the only one I thought had any chance of fitting in due to Heihachi not having any weapons.

I agree that it should have been all-new characters. Unfortunately, I hear SC3 will have Samus and Donkey Kong for the GC2, Master Chief and....er...the cover car from Project Gotham will be NeXtbox exclusives, and the PS3 will feature Jak&Daxter and Squall. Simon Belmont and Solid Snake will be included in all 3 versions ;)

To my (pleasant) surprise, the GameCube version actually is the highest ranked of the 3, barely ahead of the PS2 edition, on Gamerankings.com, which catalogs and averages reviews from dozens of sites and print mags.
    edited September 2003
    Well I've played it a little more and my gosh Talim has some kick ass combos. If you are not quick enough to block her first attack she can just keeping going and going. I love it! Aside from her I havn't played a whole lot but Taki seems kinda cool. A figured out that she can jump pretty high and if I play a little more I bet that could be a pretty powerful set of attacks since it seems that she can attack from the air.

There is going to be a Soul Calibur 3? When is that game due out? The special characters sound kidna crappy all the way around except for Squall. Personally I think Cloud from Final Fantasy VII would have been a better choice, what with his kick ass sword and all, but then again I think FFVII was the greatest game over made. So what if I'm a little biased.

Back to SC2. I found a mission in Weapon Master mode that give you around 30k gold each time you complete it. It is in chapter 9 and you can play the mission as many times as you like. It really isn't overly hard either. You just have to beat 4 enemies while constantly being pulled towards them by a mystical force. You also have to do it with one life bar. It sounds far worse than it really is though since it puts you against the same characters each time. Talim can easily rip em a new one if you keep her combos moving and make a few good blocks.

Norge
    edited September 2003
    I am soooo tempted to sell my GC and its 11 games and get an xbox For ninja gaiden
    edited September 2003
    screw it i am selling my GC tom and gettinga xbox!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    I've found, so far, that I'm best with Sophitia.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    CBDroege said
    I've found, so far, that I'm best with Sophitia.

I noticed. ;) And I still managed to kick your ass with her... :tongue:
    edited September 2003
    I just sold my GC and Bought a xbox with soul calibur II and i am loveing it! OMG spawns moves have made me jizz myself over and over!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    ^^ Doesn't take much to excite the Wizardd, does it ;D
    edited September 2003
    not much at all! except i got a letter from my Ex and now i am pissed!
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Yeah, the game rocks for XBox. I can't get anough of it. Weeee! :)
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Played the XBox import version a ton, its ok, but I've never been much of a fighting game fan. Definitely one of the best fighting games I've played though, just not my cup of tea (And no Virtua Fighter 2 either!!1 Go SATURN!!)
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2003
    yeah great game.

except for the fact that it wont run right on a wide screen TV at least the xbox version. The import version did this too. I was hoping they would fix this in the US version.

Lazy friggin developers. and this game has been in production for how long?
    edited September 2003
    What's wrong with the wide screen version? I use the V-Compression on my TV and set the XBox to Widescreen and it looks wonderful.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2003
    it will only display in the center of the screen. The sides of the screen are just black. when you say widescreen version... do you mean there is a version of sc2 specifically for wide screen tvs?

I have my xbox set up for widescreen. and what do you mean by c-Compression on your tv? are you using the hdtv adaptor for the xbox?
    edited September 2003
    Sorry, I guess I should have explained better. I have the Sony Trinitron 32FS100 which is a standard analog 4:3 television. It has a feature called Vertical compression. Basically if you give the TV a widescreen input and turn the V-Compression on, it gives you 200 more lines of resolution over letting the say DVD player put the black bars in itself.

I use the HD pack with my XBox and run it through the component input and set my XBox to widescreen (I think it just looks better). The game displays in the full widescreen field with no problems. Are you sure you didn't accidentally set your XBox back to 4:3 or it got set back to that accidentally?

I haven't had any issues with the game displaying improperly though. :scratch:
    edited September 2003
    ive noticed I am really good with Maxi those nunchucks are sweeeeeeeet! And if i cant do it with maxi I use spawn and own all!