Pc starts automatically

edited August 2008 in Science & Tech
Hi,

I have recently put on xp sp2, and i have found that my pc switches on autoatically.
I have to switch off the main AC power to keep it from starting in the middle of the night.
Then when i switch the power point on the pc auto comes on.

Any ideas any options in the bios?

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Hi,

I have recently put on xp sp2, and i have found that my pc switches on autoatically.
    I have to switch off the main AC power to keep it from starting in the middle of the night.
    Then when i switch the power point on the pc auto comes on.

Any ideas any options in the bios?
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited November 2005
    Many BIOS menus have an option called Restore Power After AC Loss (or something similar.) It is usually under Power Management Options (or similar name, depending on your BIOS brand and version. In the event of a power failure, it is designed to automatically boot a PC., which is especially useful for servers or other systems performing business functions, where you always want the PC to come back on if the power gets interrupted.

Check that setting. If it is set for "Power On" then either change it to "Power Off." There is also usually a mode called "Last State" which will remember whether the PC was on or off and return it to that state.

Dexter...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    In the "Power Management" section of the system BIOS, look for the heading "Restore on AC Power Loss". Set this to "Power Off".
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    navsta, please don't create two threads on the same topic again. You've just wasted my time in me replying to your extra thread. Your question had already been answered by Dexter but I didn't know. I have merged your two threads together into this one.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    navsta,

My guess is that you have an MSI mainboard?
  • edited November 2005
    I have checked all the options and they are set to off, but still the PC comes on automatically.

whats a MSi mainboard , how can i check?
    edited November 2005
    It's the brand of the mainboard. Do you have the mainboard manual there or is it a pre-built machine?
  • edited November 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    It's the brand of the mainboard. Do you have the mainboard manual there or is it a pre-built machine?

My motherboard is a P4 titan series
    model GA-8SRX sis 645 AGP set

its still boots up atpmatically
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    do you use aol by any chance?
  • edited November 2005
    csimon wrote:
    do you use aol by any chance?
    no
  • edited November 2005
    whats happenign with this one???/
    any ideas
    edited November 2005
    I know MSI mainboards do exactly that and i have to flip the powerswitch on the psu at the back.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Not that it should be happening, but it's worth a try: Make sure "Wake on LAN" is turned off in the BIOS (may be named Magic Packet). But other than that, you'll have to do what Mackanz said, turn the PC off by the switch on the PSU itself.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited November 2005
    Or else you might just try getting a new power supply. One of our computers has the same problem. It's been in multiple machines and does the same thing so (at least for me) it's not exclusive to MSI motherboards. A new, better quality PSU put my computer right... I'd suggest you do the same.
  • edited August 2008
    I had this problem too, so I looked at this forum and confirmed my assumption that it was probably in the Bios, and went in there. What I found, is that it was set to automatically start at 0 : 0 : 0, and everyday. I turned that auto-alarm function (or whatever) off, and I believe it should stop turning on.