best way to share files

BudBud Chesterfield, Va
edited November 2005 in Science & Tech
im running 3 pc's that i want to share files with. 1 pure wireless side and the other 2 will be wired gigabit. Right now i have 3 250's but i would like to get some more hard drives cause im using 600gb as now. I was looking at the netgear sc101 cause it just a network san but you get to put in your own hard drives or should i run a pc as a fileserver? Also windows or linux. I am a windows guy but i don wanna have to mess with the machine much i just want the files available. I know sometimes there are reboots required or maybe hardware failures but i dont wanna have to do it a lot.....im lzy what can i say

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited November 2005
    If it were me personally, I would make one (or build) a dedicated fileserver. Besides the fact that all your files are in one place, how freakin' cool is it to have a computer tucked away dedicated to hosting files? :)

I've always wanted to build one. But I'd say if you go that route, definitely buy a huge backup drive (or two) and schedule it to do nightly/weekly (depends on how much you want to save) backups.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2005
    You could always do some ftp'ing, although that does get annoying.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited November 2005
    Can't you create a folder and set it to share on the network?
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2005
    yea but then the comp has to be on all the time u want to access it
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited November 2005
    Does it? I'l have to see because I have a shared folder between a desktop and a laptop.

Sorry I didn't help much.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2005
    yea so the computer hosting the files has to always be on and i didnt want my main machine to have them if im gaming or doing someing intense on the cpu. Thanks for the idea though
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    pc as a fileserver

i run a duron 1.3 with 768mb ram, 520gigs over 3 hd's, and thats all it has, no cdrom, no floppy, no case. slapped in an 8mb pci vid card and nic

i backup to dual 120gig's on a seperate pc occasionally :D

having the pc on 24/7 isnt a bad thing either...cause it folds:fold:
  • IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
    edited November 2005
    its actually better for the hardware to stay on constantly. it produces more stress on hardware when the pc is shutdown.