windows xp not booting

miinkiemiinkie UK
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Having a bit of a problem with my laptop (Sony vaio PCG-FX601)

On turning it on it does one of two things
1. Tells me operating system not found
or
2. Windows could not start due to error in software:
Load needed DLLs for kernel

This has only started occuring since yesterday. Tried to reset bios to default but now not showing HDD as a boot option. I then set that to auto but still giving same error message.

I could try and use the recovery disc but that would reinstall an image file. It has no repair option.

I would like to be able to boot up into windows even if just once and backup or transfer a couple of pretty important folders and 4 F@H completed wu's.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited November 2005
    Update:
    tried booting with a win xp boot floppy but still getting same error.

biggest disappointment was trying to use a win xp disk to repair installation:
    it found both partitions on HDD but free space on partition with previous OS showed everything free.

Question now is, if i did a repair installation, with whole partition shown as free, would that overwrite all documents on that drive?

mem etc all check out ok. Would seem to be a software/OS error

any help would be much appreciated
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited November 2005
    Help i'm desperate :bawling: :banghead:
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited November 2005
    Guess no choice but to use recovery disk. :bawling:
  • IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
    edited November 2005
    My computer used to do this when a hdd change was made physically. it is probably just looking at the wrong spot for the os boot. Go into your bios and check your settings. I am pretty sure thats what it is. Sorry if I wasnt in time I joined 2 days ago.
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited November 2005
    Thanks IamMrRay
    Just ended up using recovery disk. Been hard at the graft trying to recreate documents again.
    Thanks for the help tho. Think i might have corrupted os when disabling some of the start up stuff.
  • IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
    edited November 2005
    Yea man np, sry you had to do that I had to one time cause of the damn home search virus it broke my heart. Now im bulletproof. but the first part of your problem was the bois settings im pretty darn sure about it. the second part i think you would have ended up either trying to use the recovery console where if you did i think that woulda solved the first part but if not you probably would have ended up doing the same thing.

ttyl dude
    ray