Good SLi PSU?

MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
edited November 2005 in Hardware
I'm in the planning phase of my next computer... I think a 480W PSU will be fine, I want a DFI UT nF4 SLI-DR mobo, here. I plan on a 7800GT, and possibly another in the future.

Which PSU would be a good one for this setup?

Thanks!

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited November 2005
    Hey man, how's it going? Long time no see.

Personally, I'd go with a Seasonic, one like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151024

Reviewed at SPCR here: http://silentpcreview.com/article247-page1.html

That might not be what you want, though. It's super stable, but the reason I picked it is because it's so bloody quiet. Hopefully I can build one soon. I need tires for my car, and then I owe some people a bit of money. I think just after Christmas I should have enough to at least start planning - my next few paychecks should be pretty decent, with Christmas season insanity happening. Do you know what else you're getting so far?
  • IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
    edited November 2005
    I forget what one it is...but it is in the 500W range i think if i remeber right... It is the only one I have seen that has a heat sink instead of a fan. get that man and your system will never make a noise (if you use liquid cooling w/ it)...(except for the evil hardrives (they go click-click-clickclickclick!) ) (non-volitile ram needs to go mainstream omfg!) (i think i spelt that wrong)(o well :P) but yea its a really good and stable PSU but I really dont remember it just type in silent PSU and heat sink and u should get it its pretty cool :D
    edited November 2005
    I like that seasonic one too
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    TheGr81 wrote:
    I'm in the planning phase of my next computer... I think a 480W PSU will be fine, I want a DFI UT nF4 SLI-DR mobo, here. I plan on a 7800GT, and possibly another in the future.

Which PSU would be a good one for this setup?

Thanks!
    If you change your mind and go with the dfi expert be sure that you get a psu with 24pin + 8pin instead of the typical 24+4.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    wow IamMrRay your sig is friggin huge
    edited November 2005
    i know ;D
    I was thinkin of adding some stuff :p lmao
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited November 2005
    Thanks for making it smaller. It's a lot easier to read threads and see where peoples' posts start and stop. :)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited November 2005
    i use an Enermax 500watt psu, i cant complain.
  • edited November 2005
    pc power and cooling 510 watt

or the 1 kilowatt monster lol

very nice psu's uber stable
    just friggen expensive as hell
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Just make sure the powersupply have 24 pins on the atx, dual 12V rails of at least 20 per rail, ready for sli and of a well known brand. That should limit the search and make it much easier.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    Mackanz summed it up quite well. I noticed a lot of people speak of 'watts' when it comes to PSUs.. I have seen 550W supplies with only 16 amps on the +12V rail, so it is not an apples to apples world out there..

With the latest A64 platforms, you want as much amperage on the +12V rail as you can find/afford. I have a PC Power and Cooling 510 express, and it is without a doubt, the best PSU I have ever owned. It is expensive, but you often get what you pay for when it comes to PSUs.. IMO, the OCZ Powerstream supplies are fantastic, and you can't go wrong with them.. The 520 is a great choice, and they won't break the bank..