too many users on my cpu

ginocerulliginocerulli Shanghai, China
edited December 2005 in Science & Tech
I hope this is in the right section, if not, please move. Thanks.

My laptop was previously used at my employment and placed upon their network. There are 5 users and an administrator. I always use the cpu as the administrator. While trying to fix my cpu virus problem I noticed BitDefender spending a very long time on the folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\(one of the users)\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
I was unable to even find that file when I searched my cpu.
I want to empty all these files if they are taking up significant space, and perhaps if you suggest eliminate the users all together.

I am a novice and open to any suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance for you time and help,

Gino Cerulli

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited December 2005
    under folder options you need to uncheck the hide protected operating system files and then set it to show hidden files and folders.

In explorer (not internet explorer) go to tools/folder options/view

then hit apply and at the top apply to all folders

now go to the user in documents and settings directory and you will see new directorys you could not see before, Look in local settings and you can now see temporary internet files

Tex
  • ginocerulliginocerulli Shanghai, China
    edited December 2005
    Thanks Tex,

I see the files now. I imagine it is safe to delete pretty much anything in the temp folders. Any suggestions on the possibility and the value of deleting the other users?

Thanks

Gino
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited December 2005
    There is no harm in deleting Temp Files - Don't delete the Temp Folders

To delete Temp Files:

Go to Start > Run > type cleanmgr, press ENTER.

Chose the C: and click OK - it will take a few mins to scan. On the next screen, check the box next to Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files, then click OK and thats it :D
    edited December 2005
    Go to the control panel. Then users. Then just delete all the old users if your now the only user. It will ask if you want to also delete the files. Just say yes.

Tex
    edited December 2005
    Thanks TEX and Trogan_1000,

I will give that a try :thumbsup:
  • AtticusAtticus Dryden, Ontario, Canada.
    edited December 2005
    This is a touch off topic but Tex might have an answer for me.

A few years ago i was fiddling around and found a small program that shows all the programs that load on startup. It made it easy to add or remove programs from startup but i cant find it and i've searched for sooooo long. :scratch:
    edited December 2005
    hmmm...interesting results to both of these...

first of all TEX:

I am logged in as Administrator, when I looked in the users in teh control panel and only Administrator and one other was shown. I found an additional 4 users in C:\Windows\Documents and Settings.

Trogan_1000:

Clean Mgr will not complete. I have been having this problem for a while now. I will run it, and it gets stuck. In task manager it starts eating up from 85 to 95% of computer usage. It could possibly be related to problems I am attempting to correct here:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40128

however, if i remember correctly, it was not working for about a week before that.

Thanks for all the help guys, I am learning a great deal, I appreciate it.

Gino
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2005
    Atticus what you're looking for is.. msconfig, which didnt come with win2k. BUT if you have winxp all you ahve to do is go to start -> run -> msconfig :D

Gino - if all else fails, its probably time for a nuke and pave =/
  • edited December 2005
    I suggest doing an xp clean install or get windows washer..
    i hate when people use run commands from the start menu but guess what they're lame
    like registry editor, regedit32, cmd, such as....
    download a cool program like windows washer...
    or do the same thing as the run command go to internet option and delete files manually by pressing clear history and delte the temporay internet files.. a program like bit whatever ur'e using what ur'e all too confusing hahah i hate u windows washer for selecting my mirc program as a custom wash item >:|
    edited December 2005
    Loaded, don't mean to be rude but half of what you said IS confusing :eek3:
    edited December 2005
    hmmm...interesting results to both of these...

first of all TEX:

I am logged in as Administrator, when I looked in the users in teh control panel and only Administrator and one other was shown. I found an additional 4 users in C:\Windows\Documents and Settings.

Trogan_1000:

Clean Mgr will not complete. I have been having this problem for a while now. I will run it, and it gets stuck. In task manager it starts eating up from 85 to 95% of computer usage. It could possibly be related to problems I am attempting to correct here:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40128

however, if i remember correctly, it was not working for about a week before that.

Thanks for all the help guys, I am learning a great deal, I appreciate it.

Gino

Then just right click and delete the old users directorys.

Tex
    edited December 2005
    I suggest doing an xp clean install >:|

For gawd sakes all he needs to do is delete some files not reinstall XP. His first post said he was a NOVICE.

I can not believe to this day how many people suggest a complete reinstallation for every minor problem that comes up.

Tex
    edited December 2005
    what the hell is clean mgr
    If you had followed the instructions in my first post you would know what it is...

a part of windows confusing just because ur in singnapore and don't understand english i told u clean MGR nobody has ever heard of clean MGR
    DOWNLOAD WINDOWS WASHER CAPEASH
    :scratch::scratch::scratch:

Let's just leave it at that....no point in thread crapping :)
  • edited December 2005
    If you had followed the instructions in my first post you would know what it is...

:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Let's just leave it at that....no point in thread crapping :)
    i aint quittin till u tell me what cleanmgr is i never heard of it and i'm A+ certified so can u tell me what the hell it is..
    edited December 2005
    i aint quittin till u tell me what cleanmgr is i never heard of it and i'm A+ certified so can u tell me what the hell it is..
    cleanmgr is Disk Cleanup...happy now, Mr A+ certified :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    There must not be a writing section in the A+ exam. Or a logical reasoning section.

Run cleanmgr from that run command you seem to hate so much and find out.
  • edited December 2005
    Gargoyle wrote:
    There must not be a writing section in the A+ exam. Or a logical reasoning section.

Run cleanmgr from that run command you seem to hate so much and find out.
    nope sorry there isn't i've never heard of that command i know it's there but who posts it who actually researches on finding new commands i mean everyone has heard of "cmd" "regedit" "regedit32" i mean who types in cleanmgr unless ur a total dos freak.
    edited December 2005
    Gino gonna get a shock when he see's what his thread has become ;D
    ok listen guy i'm from manchester uk i have immproper grammar can u leave me to the point where i'm wondering hmmm should i get a professional program to clean my harddrive or something bill gates made up which doesn't clean my old log files from msn or .old.bad files.. which skips a whole bunch of errors and i don't care if it's confusing to u because windows washer works..
    Is that all you wanted to say?..... ;D
    nope sorry there isn't i've never heard of that command i know it's there but who posts it who actually researches on finding new commands i mean everyone has heard of "cmd" "regedit" "regedit32" i mean who types in cleanmgr unless ur a total dos freak.
    Have you ever heard the saying "you learn something new everyday"...well, you just learnt something new, be happy.

Yes, we are freaks....folding freaks, not SETI....remember that thread ;)
    what is the deal tell me what is the deal.... why u posting my personal information do you want me to post your sH*** on hacker forums so u can get hacked up is that what u want..?
    Do you ever shut up???
    edited December 2005
    Loaded, if the gent wants to take your advice and download and install a "professional" program then he can. If he decides that downloading and installing a program might be a bit of a pain in the ass for the removal of TEMPORARY internet files then he WON'T use that program. If he wanted a program that removes the Temp Internet files, juggles 5 chainsaws and wipes his arse when he use the washroom then he would have asked for it. He didn't.. The good folks at Microsoft have conveniently put a program into Windows already that will do that nonsense without the nonsense.
  • edited December 2005
    Atticus wrote:
    Loaded, if the gent wants to take your advice and download and install a "professional" program then he can. If he decides that downloading and installing a program might be a bit of a pain in the ass for the removal of TEMPORARY internet files then he WON'T use that program. If he wanted a program that removes the Temp Internet files, juggles 5 chainsaws and wipes his arse when he use the washroom then he would have asked for it. He didn't.. The good folks at Microsoft have conveniently put a program into Windows already that will do that nonsense without the nonsense.
    I don't think you understand the objective of the response... i said windows washer does all that microsoft does and better but guess what i unistalled it because it's i dunno uses too much memory but the command cleanmgr which nobody has ever heard before..why not click the start menu and go to accessories and clean hard drive......
    edited December 2005
    Like I said, you learn something new everyday.

BTW, your filling up my Hotmail Inbox :mullet:
    edited December 2005
    but guess what i unistalled it because it's i dunno uses too much memory but the command cleanmgr which nobody has ever heard before..why not click the start menu and go to accessories and clean hard drive......

Wait.. So DON'T use Windows washer, and dont use cleanmgr? Is that what your saying?
    edited December 2005
    Grammer, anyone else grammer? Yeah, i tried Hooked on Phonics once, but i realized that i already had grammer skills so i stopped and recommended it to Loaded Swipster Skillz.

Buddy Jesus.. Nice.. :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    bye bye, mr skillz.

you're not short-media material. :thumbsup:
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I have a usefull bit of software too, its called the Supermod Delete post function. It cleans all the usless crap out of a thread and leaves the good stuff :thumbsup:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Atticus wrote:
    ...If he wanted a program that removes the Temp Internet files, juggles 5 chainsaws and wipes his arse when he use the washroom then he would have asked for it. ...

;D Most excellent.
    edited December 2005
    LOL....

That made for an entertaining morning, lol.

I love this forum.

I will have to reread through that this afternoon to find the helpfull parts, and for more entertainment.

Last night I let cleanmgr run and this morning it was still stuck, so it is definetely not working. Sorry if that was addressed already, I have to read through it again.

I just want all my problems fixed so I can begin Folding!

Gino
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    Have you tried any of these suggestions in Safe Mode? If there's a running process using one of the files that could be the source of your troubles.

If that turns out to be the case, a visit to our Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum might be in order. Make sure you read the instructions there first. :)
    edited December 2005
    I currently have a topic running it that forum right now. as far as i know, this topic is not impacting that discussion. but it would probably make more sense to clear up that issue, before I tackle this one. This was more of a question of, should i get rid of the other users? and if i should, how?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    I currently have a topic running it that forum right now...
    I missed that. Even if they don't turn up anything malicious it's always nice to know that your computer is clean. :)
    ...This was more of a question of, should i get rid of the other users? and if i should, how?
    Yes, you should get rid of them. Did Safe Mode make any difference at all?