Someone hacking into email accounts while at work...

edited December 2005 in Science & Tech
If this topic is in wrong thread then I apologize. I just have some questions conderning something that has been going on with my boyfriend and I. We found out that his EX has been going into my e-mail account reading all of my e-mails and other stuff. We figured it out when we saw her IP address and OS information come up on a site meter at our website, and she only got this url address from my email account because we just started on the site last week, which was the same week she went to the site. So, we busted her doing that, also came to find out that she's been also keeping track of us through a profile of mine at myspace.com she's obsessed and it seemed like it was becoming an addiction to her. she called it off with him and now shes jealous and mad at me. we confronted her, she lied about everything. so my boyfriend showed her the proof. shes refusing to give him an explanation and she told him that she felt like it was the right thing to do, she needed to do it. SOME EXCUSE. she thinks it is okay to go into my personal email account and she had the password but we changed it, but shes good at getting around that so we're making sure she doesn't do it but she thinks she can get by with is and thinks its all a joke. she's accusing my boyfriend of threatening her just because he told her to stay out of our stuff. shes yelling at him and stuff in the emails. we tried ignoring her for 2 weeks then she emails him and says this isnt over and says people are putting stuff in his head and when she said all this stuff thats when we figured out she would have only known it by going into my email account so thats when we busted her on the track meter.

and the part is, shes not doing this at her home..she is doing this at her work and her computer is the main computer in the office which means its hooked up to several more computers as well. and after confronting her and her making like she "needed to do it" isn't good enough. she invaded my privacy. i know her ip and her ip address. so i have reported her. sent the companies isp all the information because they said that they would follow up on her.

i havent heard back from them so i was wondering what could be going on. will her boss be contacted to inform her what is going on? and could this crazy girl lose her job?

just wondering what anyone thought of this. crazy i know. :shakehead

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited December 2005
    OK, I'm a little confused. Please clarify:

- how was she getting into your e-mail account? Did she actually guess your password, or find out your password somehow?

- have you changed that password? If you change it, she should not be able to get into it again.

- what kind of e-mail account are we talking about? Is it a web based account like Hotmail or Gmail? Or an ISP based account you got with your internet connection?

- there could be many ways she could have found out about your new website. Does she have any friends in common with your boyfriend? He could have mentioned it to a friend, who mentioned it to another friend, who mentioned it to her. Or, I hate to say it, but your boyfriend may have been in contact with his ex himself and mentioned it to her. He may have wanted her to see it and see pictures of you and him and how happy he is, etc, to rub her nose in it a little, feed her jealousy for his own ego's sake....guys do that you know, we can be dicks that way sometimes ;)

I don't really think she was in your e-mail, personally, unless she knew your password to your account. I think she found out about the site some other way. The thing is, you can't stop her from going to your website. If you don't want her to know what is on your website...don't have a website. A website is PUBLIC. You can't be upset with her for viewing publicly published information. An ISP cannot stop her from going to your website, it's PUBLIC. Her company may be able to discipline her for doing personal websurfing if they have a policy in place that prohibits that, but that's about it.

Dexter...
  • edited December 2005
    Sorry Dexter, you are really clueless. lol. Sorry about the confusion but yes she did go into my account. We confronted her at first and she lied through her teeth. Then we showed her the proof and she ADMITTED she went in my account and read everything and she is accusing us of threatening her because we asked her to stop it and we did change the password and she is good at getting around that. But when we showed her the proof, she refused to give my boyfriend an explanation. She said she felt like it was the right thing to do and she sleeps better at night knowing that she did it. SOME EXCUSE. And the ISP to the company she works at knows everything now. They asked me to send over the information and they are following up on her. She's always hacked into people's accounts. I saw her doing that when she was here at my house. She knew our passwords but yes, we changed them but as I said, she is good at hacking so she could still get in if she wanted to so we're just making new accounts she isnt' aware about until the ISP gets back to me and there are rules at her job. she isn't supposed to be doing anything other than work-related stuff. I am sure her boss had to be contacted from the ISP to inform her that one of her employees was doing this stuff.

My boyfriend has had no contact with her. She thinks that she is insane and he used to work for an ISP so he thought something had to be done about it and so did I. She is refusing to talk to us and explain why shes doing all this stuff. And we think she's had her sister to keep track of him as well. And public websites and profiles are for the public yes, but its scary that she is keeping track of every move we make and she even threatened us in one of her recent emails, she said this wasn't over. So, yeah we reported her and I'm sure they are monitoring her now and I'm sure she's still trying to find ways to track us down cause she's like obsessed with him and doesn't want me or anyone else to have him. And it's hotmail and I have contacted microsoft as well. The ISP is taking care of it now. I haven't heard from them since I sent them the info that they told me to send which was her IP address. I'm sure once they keep track of her, they will let me know what happens. My boyfriend talked to his friend that works for an ISP and he said that it was possible her job was hanging on a string. So, we will see what happens. But this girl has gone nuts. I have all the emails saved in a safe place. And her invading my privacy out of curiousity is not an excuse. And I'm sure she's prolly tried hacking into my other stuff as well, so we changed the passwords and the ISP told me some other stuff to do in the mean-time.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited December 2005
    jbkj05 wrote:
    Sorry Dexter, you are really clueless. lol.

Ah, I see. So you give a really crappy explanation of your problem, and that makes me clueless. Your writing style is like that of a junior high-schooler writing in her diary making it hard to follow, and lacking in any technical details to help find a solution to the problem, but I'm clueless. Right, okay... :rolleyes:

Sorry about the confusion but yes she did go into my account. We confronted her at first and she lied through her teeth. Then we showed her the proof

Ok, so now there is proof that she went into your e-mail account? The only "proof" you shared with us here was that she started going to a website that was brand new, and that you think the only way she could know about that is by hacking into your e-mail. What other "proof" do you have?

and she ADMITTED she went in my account and read everything and she is accusing us of threatening her because we asked her to stop it and we did change the password and she is good at getting around that.

Ok, and you said later that this is a hotmail Account. There are very few ways someone could hack into a hotmail account, you can google them, but MSN is pretty quick to fill any holes uncovered. This girl would have to be a pretty good hacker to continually hack your Hotmail account. Unless she paid money for a very good brute-force password attacker, and you have very poor choice in passwords. Far more likely is that you have a trojan on your computer, allowing someone to grab open session cookies from your computer and put them on their own. When you log in to Hotmail, you should always ise the option "Always ask for my e-mail address and password" so that session cookies do not get stored after you close the browser.

She's always hacked into people's accounts. I saw her doing that when she was here at my house.

So your boyfriends' ex hangs out at your house? And you let her use your computer at your house? And you watched her go into other people's Hotmail accounts? Was she on your computer at your house unsupervised? Or were you an active or passive participant in this Hotmail hacking? If you were participating in hacking other people's Hotmail account, I don't feel very sorry for you now that the tables have been turned on you. If you were not part of it, and just let your boyfriend's ex-girlfriend have unsupervised access to your computer while knowing she was somehow hacking other people's e-mail, I still don't feel sorry for you, that's just kind of stupid. See my above comment about trojans. If you let this girl freely use your computer, don't be surprised if there is some trojan on there right now. Download Hijack This and post a log in the SVT forum for help.

My boyfriend has had no contact with her. She thinks that she is insane

But for some reason you let her in to your house and onto your computer? :scratch:

But *I* am the clueless one....?

Dexter...
  • edited December 2005
    This is the EX boyfriend, J and my ex girlfriend lived with my previous girlfriend for a year. She used to hack into her exes boyfriends accounts all the time behind my back. I was unaware of this until I found out for myself that she was always going into my e-mail account deleting messages, and reading my messages while we were dating. She moved back to Texas because it wasn't working out for us. When she got to Texas is when she began to dig stuff up on me because she had some serious trust issues. She's obsessed with me and we did try working things out but she lied to me and told me she was seeing someone else while she made me get a plane ticket to go to Texas. After she ended it with me, is when I started dating my best friend of 5 years. And she got mad and jealous, I learned it was best to ignore her until she started writing me threatening e-mails saying it wasn't over. We figured out she was going into my girlfriends' e-mail account several different ways. I worked for an ISP so I know these things and have already discussed it with the ISP and there are keeping track of her. And her boss is aware of this as well. There's more to the story than what is said here in this thread. My girlfriend only came here to get opinions, and as for you saying she can't write....don't be such a jerk. We know the situation..so we're handling it just fine. :D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I think the name calling has gone far enough. Jbjk05, Dexter was trying to help. Not sure why you called him clueless and a jerk. If you're handling things just fine without our clueless and jerky help, then why did you bother coming here?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    This is the EX boyfriend
    WHO is the ex-boyfriend? You? This thread is like that skit called "Who's on First?" Are you male or female? Do you have s boyfriend or girlfriend...or both? The only things I understand from this thread:

there are friends
    there is the writer
    there are ex-boyfriends and girlfriends (several of them...I think)
    someone's ex-girlfriend breaks into other people's email accounts (slimer)
    that phantom ex-girlfriend has been doing it for a long time
    writer didn't used to card, but cares now

Is that it?

Sorry, but this is very much like a soap opera that you can only hear half of.
This discussion has been closed.