I need feedback on 19" LCDs

JBJB Carlsbad, CA
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Hey guys, we are looking at getting my sister a 19" LCD for christmas. It has a native resolution of 1280x1024 and I was wondering if any of you are using a 19" with similar specs. My 17" does 1280x1024, so I'm not sure how that would look on a 19" screen. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Other stuff of interest:
800:1 contrast
20ms response
300 cd

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Radeon -

The 1280x1024 on a 19" isn't bad at all. It's essentially the same thing you have on your 17", just a little bigger. More importantly, if you want higher resolutions, you're going to have to look at different monitors. Those native resolutions are pretty much the only thing the monitors look good on. That said, you won't really find some 19" with higher resolutions - you'll have to get up into the 20" screens until you hit the next highest (1600x1200) unless you want a widescreen (something like 1440x900). As for the other specs, the 800:1 contrast is excellent, the 20 ms response time can be a little slow, and 300 cd is a medium brightness. If she's not going to be doing any hardcore 3D gaming on it, that monitor will be fantastic. If she's running Doom 3 or something though, she might notice artifacts. Anyway, that's my two cents. Hope it helped.

-MJ
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Games? Samsung with the 8ms response time
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited December 2005
    Thanks guys. No games, just work :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    If you aren't a gamer, LCD purcase decisions will be much easier for you. 1280X1024 looks good on almost all recent 19" CDs. That resolution actually looks better on most 19" LCDs than most 19" CRTs. I recommend before buying an LCD, you do a lot of price comparisons online, then go to stores and look at the monitors actually displaying somehting. The stores usually use some networked garbage that does not show off the monitors well, but at least you can compare the different brands and models against each other. I've got two 19" LCDs at home - Samsung 930B and a Xerox XG91D. The Xerox is much superior in my opinion with beautiful colors, excellent grey scale. The only equivalent I've seen is the top end Sony 19".

BTW, now is not really a good time to buy. The specials seen from September through November are drying up as the Christmas shopping season goes strong.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I've bought 4 samsung 910t's within the last year and I can tell you now that this monitor at 25ms is excellent. I have never received a single one of these monitors with dead pixels. And I game on mine every night playing Enemy Territory (tcetest) and it runs flawless. I have yet to see ghosting.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited December 2005
    Thanks for the info Leo and csimon. I'll take a look at those models :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Do as much research and window shopping as you have time for. If you don't have a lot of time, stick with the medium price from reputable names: LG, Samsung, and Viewsonic. Yeah, there is better quality, such as Sony or the professional grade Viewsonic and Samsung models, but they are very pricey. If you have the opportunity to buy locally, without a large price difference, I'd recommend that. If there is a backlight problem or dead pixels, you can return it immediately. Newegg requires 8 dead pixels before they will take back an LCD!