Free firewall+ anti virus?

athalonheadathalonhead Member
edited December 2005 in Science & Tech
I have a computer running windows 98 with all the updates.I have pc-cillin 2002 on it with the firewall. The pc-cillin came with the motherboard in my sig.
It wont update anymore so I am probally going to use free avg but I dont know if I can run without a firewall.

Questions are
Can I run windows 98 with just avg and no firewall and be safe?

Are there any free firewalls that work well?

Should I use avg and keep the pc-cillin firewall with no updates?

Does a firewall need updates or is it just a firewall and thats that?

The computer is a compaq persario 5070
athlon k6 350mhz
seagate HD
windows 98 all updates and service packs done
internet prov people pc
browser firefox

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I'd use AVG Free and ZoneAlarm Free. I don't know of any other free firewalls that are Win98 compatible.

The firewall doesn't need to download definitions like the antivirus does, but every so often a new version will be released with bug fixes. It's best to keep all of your software as current as possible.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    ...Questions are

Can I run windows 98 with just avg and no firewall and be safe?
    If you have a router with a firewall built in, the answer is yes. If not, you really should use something.
    Are there any free firewalls that work well?
    Go here and look for the "Freeware" programs. ZoneAlarm Free, Sygate Personal Firewall Free and Outpost Firewall Free are good choices. Don't use all of them at once, though. :vimp:
    Should I use avg and keep the pc-cillin firewall with no updates?
    Yes to AVG, but I'd dump the PC-Cillin firewall and get a free one with updates.
    Does a firewall need updates or is it just a firewall and thats that?
    The basic principle doesn't change, a firewall is simply there to allow (or disallow) programs from having Net access. The updates will help in staying on top of the latest lousy tricks that viruses, etc, might try and pull on you. They also help prevent compatibility issues with legitimate software.

EDIT: Kwitko beat me to it... :o
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited December 2005
    Great that is what I wanted to know.

I will use avg and probally zone alarm.

This was a free computer and I am fixing it up for my folks.It will be way faster than the 100mhz infested one they are using now.And has windows 98 same as the old one so It wont be to difficult for them to learn.
    I love free stuff.

Once again You guys provided great info.
    Thanks profdlp, Kwitko,Short media
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited December 2005
    Update

I downloaded avg free and zone alarm free. Both are working great and havent slowed down the computer at all.I like the bar graph zone alarm has for activity.

I was reading someware that windows firewall dosent filter outbound stuff.I wonder if zone alarm would be better than windows firewall.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited December 2005
    Yep, Windows Firewall only blocks incoming stuff and not outgoing. ZoneAlarm blocks both and would be much better. :)