My CD drives are gone!

edited December 2005 in Hardware
This is a problem I have had before, but usually it could be solved by rebooting the computer once or twice. This time, however, that isn't working.

I have an IBM Aptiva from around 2000, so it's getting old. There is one DVD-ROM drive and one CD-RW drive. Neither one is opening, and the computer isn't recognizing that the drives are even a part of the computer (they aren't showing up in the My Computer window, and every program that needs to make contact with the CD drive (ie. CD burning program) is saying there are no installed CD drives). Is there any way of solving this?

Comments

• deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited December 2005
    I think you're going to need to open your PC up for this, it sounds like your CD cables have worked loose. simply pushing them fimly into the drives should fix it... if not try following the cables back to the motherboard (the main bit of the PC) and push them in there (don't push too hard though, don't want to break it).
  • sgtwilliamssgtwilliams Grand Rapids MI
    edited December 2005
    Saw this just last week have you installed or uninstalled any CD burning or writing software lately?

If so there is a registry change that will fix this (mind you the solution from Deicist is more likely) But if the cables are in place and they dont show up I have a fix for you somewhere.

Additionally try an EXternal USB drive if it also doesnt show up then there is a quick registry fix.

shoot me an email at sgtwilliams at sgtwilliams.com
  • sgtwilliamssgtwilliams Grand Rapids MI
    edited December 2005
    Ill pop the link for the registry change if it appears to be your problem.

[Insert standard, dont monkey with your registry if you dont know what you are doing disclaimer here]

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=106
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited December 2005
    I'm not sure what vintage your system is, but what Operating System are you running? The registry paths may not be the same between OS's so if you don't find it- post back and tell us what OS (98 or ME ...).