Outlook 2000 outgoing mail problem

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Here is the deal:

Within the past few weeks I have rebuilt and/or reloaded windows on 3 computers (one XPpro, one XPhome, one 98se).
In each case I exported the Outlook 2000 (not Outlook Express) personal folders to a .pst file. All three computers have suffered varying degrees of screwed-upness. (Hope I'm not being too technical for ya...:D )

On my dads computer (XPhome), initially mail would neither go out, nor come in. After installing all of the Office 2000 service releases and doing a "detect and repair" he was OK, except he has duplicates of some of the subfolders under "Personal Folders". He can live with that.

On my computer (XPpro), I tried the same approach and finally got it to where I can send and receive mail, but I get an error EVERY stinkin' time telling me that something is wrong (it's not specific about WHAT), and asking if I want to fix it. I can say either yes or no (doesn't matter which) and it works. Needless to say, I soon grew weary of having this error on every lousy message I receive, send, or even go back to re-read later. For the time being I am using Outlook Express 6, which works fine.

On my fiancees computer (98se), she gets mail fine, but every time she tries to send mail (either new mail or replying to a received message) she gets an error saying "exsec32.dll has caused an invalid page fault". I have researched the problem somewhat and have determined that exsec32.dll has to do with the digital signatures business. I also found that there were two different versions of exsec32.dll on her computer; one in C:\windows\system (38kb), and the other in C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYSTEM\Mapi\1033\95 (325kb).

I have tried renaming one and copying the other to the second location so the versions match (both ways), but still get the same ol' same ol'. It has done the same foolishness both before and after the Office 2000 service releases were applied.

Any ideas?:(

Prof
(Who thinks Eudora is looking better and better)

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    How about doing a repair installation?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Been There

Done That

Got The T-Shirt!

One other thing I should have mentioned:

During the windows update process a new folder was created in the root of C:\ named "config.msi". It was filled with about 20 temp files. When attempting the repair I get the error "Installer cannot repair C:\config.msi\temp15. this is probably because the file has been updated by other means".

I think it is being directed to the wrong place, and when it can't repair the file it assumes it has been altered by another service update. My choices are:

Cancel (cancels the repair altogether)
    Ignore (allows things to proceed)
    Retry (NEVER works)

I'd love to hear other ideas - yours is a good one, just not the "right" one for this problem.:rolleyes:

Prof
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    Eudora suxs

im assuming your using a legit copy of office?

toss in the cd and run a repair. Then goto MS website and the PST back up tool.

tek
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    also you can completely uninstall office and reinstall it and all your settings will be there.

tek
    edited June 2003
    My copy is legit.

I have done the Repair stuff several times.

I have Uninstalled/Reinstalled at least twice (maybe more, it's all becoming a blur of clicking and cursing under my breath).

:rolleyes:

I have come to believe that it is an issue with one of their (numerous) security patches.

Prof
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited June 2003
    after you install is again do you import all your old info? maybe you should try it without importing
    edited June 2003
    ...that's probably the easiest way out. I resisted that idea at first because I didn't want to have to re-enter my address book, etc. Since I've already had to bite the bullet and enter it in Outlook Express I think I'll try and wipe Outlook and then see if the settings can be imported from OE.

I guess what irks me the most is that I've never had trouble doing the Import/Export stuff before and the files referred to in the error messages indicate a problem with Microsofts security patches - heck, my email is so secure even I can't read it...:rolleyes:

Prof