Windows Vista System Requirements

2»

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2005
    If its coming out anytime soon they will make sure it runs on the majority of computers in use. Even if they have to really work to optimize it or cut features.

Which means 512mb of ram will be minimum and 1gb recomended. They want to launch this OS and have a 2 million sales in the first 48hours.

That dog won't hunt with a 2gb minimum requirement. If your box runs XP good now and has at least 512mb of ram I bet it runs Vista also. 1gb may be the "sweet spot" for 32bit versions of Vista just like I think 512mb is the current sweet spot for running XP. XP will run on less but is much happier with 512mb.

Tex
  • edited January 2006
    I have Itell 865 chipset ,,1gig memory will Vista work on that ?
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited January 2006
    Windows XP runs fine with 256mb, and I see plenty of customer computers that run XP with 128mb of ram. I didn't mean "runs well" - i meant minimum.

I even managed to install Windows XP on a computer with 64MB of RAM with no problem. It took 2 hours to install, and 5 minutes to boot up, but it worked.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    I have Itell 865 chipset ,,1gig memory will Vista work on that ?

I'm pretty sure it will work just fine. Those initial requirements were likely inflated pretty heavily to spark some hardware sales.
  • edited January 2006
    i have used XP on a PC with PC100 SDRAM with a PIII w/ Office, took forever but it worked
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2006
    I havent had a chance to try out longhorn yet....Mainly because I'm too lazy to save all of the important files to my 2nd hard drive, format and install longhorn, and then transfer the files back over. I'll just wait until I have a horrible virus or something to try out longhorn.