Processor (Thermal adhesive) Question

edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hello,

Which adhesive is used to mount the heat-sink to the processor? I was told that I need a "good" one. Are there any that are highly recomended?

Also, what would constitute the distinction between a good one and a not-so-good one?

Thanks in advance,
-Anthony Taylor

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2005
    "Good" ones are those with higher thermal conductivity. The whole point of the paste is to better transfer heat from the CPU to the HS/F.

Arctic Silver 5 is (arguably) the best one going these days, but practically anything is better than the spongy Chiclet type shipped with most stock parts.
  • edited December 2005
    You don't want to use an adhesive (glue) to mount the sink since you'll have to rip the CPU out of the socket to get it out due to the sink blocking the cam arm.

You'll want to use a thermal paste of some sort. They can form a suction on the heatsink (or waterblock) making it seem like it's glued together but if you'll wiggle the heatsink side to side it will come free without yanking the CPU out of the socket.

As to the type, I'd follow Prof's advice as AS5 doesn't dry out as fast as some of the cheaper brands out there.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited December 2005
    Avoid thermal adhesives they cause problems for everyone you want a thermal paste like as5 (As mentioned above).
  • edited December 2005
    I personally prefer Arctic Silver's Ceramique. It's not quite as high performance, but it is much easier to apply (and practically impossible to screw up.)
  • edited December 2005
    Wow, a unanimous decision. Arctic Silver 5 it is. Thanks a lot for the tips and the help, all, it's greatly appreciated.

Take care,
    -Anthony Taylor :)
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited December 2005
    tefleming wrote:
    I personally prefer Arctic Silver's Ceramique. It's not quite as high performance, but it is much easier to apply (and practically impossible to screw up.)
    DITTO! AS Ceramique over AS5
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    For testing new coolers/heatsinks, I much prefer Arctic Silver 3. It works great immediately, without the curing time of a day or two that AS 5 requires. For permanent (ha ha, no such thing for tweakers like most of us) application though, I prefer AS5.
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited January 2006
    I am still using AS3 myself. Of course, that's because I bought a decent size tube of it, and there's still plenty to go around... Of course, with my new build in a few weeks, I'm going to buy a tube of AS5. I'll keep the AS3 around for when I build other systems, but for my new rig, AS5 for me... :)