Good Article on Photographers' Rights in Public Places

KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired)By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Internet & Media
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2005-12-29-camera-laws_x.htm
Let's get the easy stuff out of the way. Aside from sensitive government buildings (e.g., military bases), if you're on public property you can photograph anything you like, including private property. There are some limits — using a zoom lens to shoot someone who has a reasonable expectation of privacy isn't covered — but no one can come charging out of a business and tell you not to take photos of the building, period.

Has some nice links to legal questions and answers.

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited January 2006
    Good article, Kwitko, thanks for sharing. My wife posts on a scrapbooking website which has a photography section, and this topic has come up before, it's often a source of confusion, people have been told they cannot take pictures in a mall, etc, and one user actually had a guard demand her camera. I am going to post this article over there.

Dexter...
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    Awesome article dude.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited January 2006
    I agree - Great article.

Imagine the first thing I thought of when I read this... ;D
    A mall, for example, is open to the public. So are most office buildings (at least the lobbies). You don't need permission; if you have permission to enter, you have permission to shoot.