powmax ps ?

athalonheadathalonhead Member
edited January 2006 in Hardware
I have been reading about power supplies and I get worried about the possibillity of damage to other parts when the powersupply failes/burns out/fries/.

My case came with a powmax 450 watt ps. I checked voltages before I used it and after I got the computer running. They were in specs and not on the low side of specs. I just checked the volts not the amps though.

the amp specs are 12v--15a
5v--35a
3.3--26a
I havent had any problems this computer is working great.computer has run since july 2005.The one in the sig
Should I be worried?
I see some power supplies say --over volt protection--- Do they all have that?

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited January 2006
    I would stay away from Powmax PSU's if at all possible. I'll let Macdude tell you his story ;)
  • macdude425macdude425 Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
    edited January 2006
    Thanks. pilot :)

Anyways, two years ago, I built a computer with a Powmax case and power supply (450W). This was a very, very undemanding system (900mhz Athlon, 256MB RAM, etc.).

Regardless, the power supply blew out within three days, and I'm surprised it didn't take any important components with it.

Please, do not get a Powmax PSU.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    Powmax owns ultra right? Two of my friends built pc's with ultra's x-connct psus...they're still runnin fine for years.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited January 2006
    Pilotwings119 --- macdude425 - the powmax power supply I am talking about has been running in my computer since I built it.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    Avoid powmax ive heard of a few cases when there psus blew when people were at work and there house burnt down. (They probably have flamable materials around but still)

The worst ive had was one blow up and shoot a spark out the specs were 2X 40GB hdds,radeon 7500,ecs board, p4 1.8A and a powmax 450W psu
    the motherboard cpu and the logic boards on the hdds were all fryed the videocard surived.
    edited January 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    Powmax owns ultra right? Two of my friends built pc's with ultra's x-connct psus...they're still runnin fine for years.
    yeah that sounds familiar.

I'd still stay away from them. Some eMachines come with Powpow's in them... :eek2:
  • edited January 2006
    I had a Powmax psu for quite a while, but I finally junked it out after I heard it whining when powering up the system. This was an electronic whine, not a fan type whine, like something was ultra loaded and ready to blow.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2006
    my friend had a powmax that ran fine for a while but then his computer one day randomly wouldn't boot. After a while we realized the psu was messed up, so I put mine in and it worked fine.

Id stay away from them and go towards antec.
  • macdude425macdude425 Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
    edited January 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    Avoid powmax ive heard of a few cases when there psus blew when people were at work and there house burnt down. (They probably have flamable materials around but still)
    You forgot the whole 'child labor' thing...
    http://www.powmax.com/images/Line_3.jpg

(YES, THIS IS ACTUALLY A PIC FROM THE POWMAX WEBSITE.)
    edited January 2006
    Haha yes - that just proves why these PSU's don't last. Would you trust your 12-yr old to build you a power supply? :thumbsdow
  • edited January 2006
    macdude425 wrote:
    You forgot the whole 'child labor' thing...
    http://www.powmax.com/images/Line_3.jpg

(YES, THIS IS ACTUALLY A PIC FROM THE POWMAX WEBSITE.)

Whoa, I had no clue Kathy Lee made PSU's