Asetek Vapochill LS

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Science & Tech
Just about any hardcore overclocker or computer enthusiast can tell you that keeping your CPU cool is important. The cooler you are able to keep your CPU, the higher the overclock you can obtain. There is a generally accepted rule that for every 10C decrease in temperature, a CPU should be able to increase its operating frequency by about 3%. Of course this math does not always work out...

Congratulations Lemonlime for a cracking article detailing his journey into phase change cooling with the Asetek Vapochill LS :D

Read all about it here

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    This is awesome info! I don't think I have seen a better write -up for this product. Great images, nice detail I give you 150% on this one!

Also I have been looking into the LS for a few days now. I was thinking fo Watercooling for about $400 but I was liek why not go all the way for an extra $400 I mean if youare getting 3.3Ghz on a Opt. what do you think the FX-57 would score? It is all in the aire, but something I am looking into.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited January 2006
    Excellent review, Lemonlime! :thumbsup:
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited January 2006
    Lemonlime: You are :leet::ninja:

As leet as you are though you might want to spell Asetek correctly :aol:

:bigggrin:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    :eek: wow paroxym, thanks for catching that. I'm editing it right now :(
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    :eek: wow paroxym, thanks for catching that. I'm editing it right now :(
    He sent me an email asking me to do that, Im just about to edit but if you are.. Il wait! :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Done :)
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    paroxym wrote:
    As leet as you are though you might want to spell Asetek correctly

Pfft, the truly hardcore do not waste their time spelling things correctly. I've got benchmarks to run my friend.. :ninja::D
    Done :)

Thanks for fixing that prime :)
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Lemonlime - I, like many others followed your trials and tribulations in the forums when you were putting together your now infamous build. All I can say is "Hats off" buddy :respect::respect::respect:

Not only did you do a superb job of it, but you left a documented legacy for us all to share. And of course make us all green with envy. :bigggrin:
    edited January 2006
    This is awesome info! I don't think I have seen a better write -up for this product. Great images, nice detail I give you 150% on this one! ... I mean if youare getting 3.3Ghz on a Opt. what do you think the FX-57 would score?

Thanks for the comments Sledge! :cheers:

My Opteron isn't even a terribly strong stepping stepping either :). AMD really puts some love into their flagship FX series chips. 3.3-3.4GHz should be no problem if you are willing to crank up the vcore a bit. I think the best CABNE stepping FX chips can do about 3.5. It's rare to see anything higher than that though without a more extreme cooling solution (definitely not anything 24/7 like the LS). Some of them have the cold bug, so I would look up your chip's production week just to be sure.
    Winga wrote:
    Lemonlime - I, like many others followed your trials and tribulations in the forums when you were putting together your now infamous build. All I can say is "Hats off" buddy

Not only did you do a superb job of it, but you left a documented legacy for us all to share. And of course make us all green with envy.

Thanks very much for the kind comments Winga :cheers:
    TheGr81 wrote:
    Excellent review, Lemonlime!

Thanks dude :cheers:
  • edited January 2006
    Pretty cool!

Now how about some pics/specs on that planted tank in the backround...? ;)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    An excellent read :cool:

I sure flubbed catching that Asetek spelling though, huh? ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Quite a lot of information and a very nice read. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable article. Well done! :cheers:
    edited January 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Pretty cool!

Now how about some pics/specs on that planted tank in the backround...? ;)

It's a watercooled 55g long ;) I thought you might notice the tank :D The anubias in the front there were pretty yellow in that picture. Cleaned them up since then. The DIY co2 I'm using now has made a huge difference.
    I sure flubbed catching that Asetek spelling though, huh?

This is the Chuck Norris of CPU coolers.. I think the vapo was so powerful that it automatically removed every third vowel from the article the last time I saved it. At least thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;D
    profdlp wrote:
    Quite a lot of information and a very nice read. All in all a thoroughly enjoyable article. Well done!

Thanks for the comments prof :cheers:
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited January 2006
    This is the Chuck Norris of CPU coolers..

Asetek Vapochills aren't hung like horses, horses are hung like Asetek Vapochills.
    :cheers::p
    edited September 2006
    Time for an 8 month update!

The 'LS' is still going very strong. Evaporator temp has not swayed at all, and is now cooling my slightly hotter (and cold bug free) 4200+ X2 chip at 3.1GHz without breaking a sweat.

I have had one encounter with Asetek technical support that I would like to share.

A couple of months ago, I had an issue where the unit would not fire up every try. I'd hold the power button in as perscribed, and the LCD on the front of the unit would simply go black without starting the compressor. I'd have to unplug the unit and keep trying to get it to successfully start up. Once it did start, it ran like a champ though. I went to support.asetek.com and opened a new ticket. Someone replied very quickly, and offered to replace the chill control board. I explained that the unit was working, and that I'd be without a computer if I had to send the defective one back before receiving a replacement. They had no isses sending the replacement prior to receiving the defective one. This is a rare thing this day and age :) Not only did they send the new one first, it arrived within 3 days from Europe. I swapped the card for the new one, and now everything is 'good as new'.

Other than that card replacement, I pull out some dust bunnies from the heat exchanger every month, but that is about it :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Quite impressive service. :respect:
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited September 2006
    Nice article LL.
  • Have you ever tried this with a dual socket 940 system? I've got a monster that likes to run hot!!