AMD to Demo Quad-Core CPU 2H 2006?

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited January 2006 in Science & Tech
Xbitlabs reports that AMD will demo Quad-Core Server CPUs in the second half of 2006.
Advanced Micro Devices’ quad-core processors will be demonstrated as early as in the middle of this year and, perhaps, will be unveiled even earlier than expected according to some analysts. But the most intriguing claim is that the forthcoming chips with four processing engines will be demonstrated on currently available platforms, a departure from the plans implied originally.
Source: Xbitlabs

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Nice! AMD to rule them all!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Nice! AMD to rule them all!

:vimp:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    NGGGGHHH. UNFFFF. NFFFFGGGGHHHHHH. *splort*
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited January 2006
    :respect: AMD

Quad-core cpu... :nudge::eek2:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    WOW! Please tell me these will be affordable to consumers? But in any case, this is true innovation. The proverbial bar will be raised.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    considering the whole moore's law thing coming to an end in terms of what can be done with silcon and all, I can see very large CPU's with 20+ core's by 2020.

Does this sound familar btw?

"I prediect in 1000 years we'll have a computer 10,000 times larger and twice as fast!" ;D
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited January 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    WOW! Please tell me these will be affordable to consumers? But in any case, this is true innovation. The proverbial bar will be raised.

As I would quote from Wayne's World "Like that would make just a totally awesome Folding rig, DUDES! Excellent!"

But if they are
    Omega65 wrote:
    Server CPUs

I'm afraid your misgivings about an enterprise price would be totally justified

:(

If I had to hazard a guess as to intial price with an Opteron label? Proabably about 2K USD?
    edited January 2006
    AMD is selling every CPU that they can wrap at the factory. I don't see them as having much incentive to sell their finest enterprise pieces to us. Yeah, yeah, I know they did with the Opterons, but a number of AMD channel people were upset that AMD was selling onesies and twosies when there was such tightness in the supply chain.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Just the fact that they exist puts a new lease on life with my dual Opteron machine. Building them on 940 is good news for everyone with sizable investments in that platform. It means we won't have to replace our massive amounts of expensive memory and buy new M2 motherboards.

-drasnor :fold:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited January 2006
    One Word: Opteron 165

I sure Low-end Quad cores will be available (In the $400+ range)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Omega65 wrote:
    One Word: Opteron 165

I sure Low-end Quad cores will be available (In the $400+ range)
    I don't know. Something about quad core just says "I will never be low-end." I have a sneaking suspicion that the quad cores will be 8xx series Opterons, or at the very least 2xx series. Either way, I really doubt 1xx on 939 will be available but hey if they are more power to you.

edited January 2006
    drasnor wrote:
    I don't know. Something about quad core just says "I will never be low-end." I have a sneaking suspicion that the quad cores will be 8xx series Opterons, or at the very least 2xx series. Either way, I really doubt 1xx on 939 will be available but hey if they are more power to you.

The X2 4800+ and FX-57/60 are the end of the line for S939. A Quad-Core Opteron 1xx CPU will probably be a DDR2 940 pin (M2) socket. The new Server Opteron 2xx & 8xx will be Socket F w 1207 pins.

There will always be a "affordable" server CPU. New Technolgy & competition causes prices to fall and currently expensive CPUs will eventually be affordable.

Case in point: AMD Slashes Opteron Prices 2006-01-24
    The 265 currently costs about $700 and that price is set to cascade down to $341. The 270 costs $864 as we speak, and in mid Feb the price is likely to tumble to $476.

Then the 275, which costs over a gigahertz of money at $1,063, will become a $700 part. Lastly, but far from leastly, the 280 will fall from its high $1,300 podium to $865.

(The Pentium 300mhz was $1000 when introduced, now it isn't worth $10......)

In any event the Quad-core is destined to shine as a 65nm CPU. When AMD 65nm process ramps up late 2006/early 2007 Quad-cores will come to the desktop
  • edited January 2006
    Only problem with this is Quad Core they will have to lower the GHz speed to reduce heat. Yeah it will still be fast. They will be like a 2GHz to start of with. So if you thinking about gaming you might want to stick with the fx-60 at its 2.6GHz. Ofcourse they might not lose this much speed since they are going from 90nm process to a 65nm process. And as far as I know you will have to upgrade your ram to DDR2. So you might just want to build a whole new box!
    edited January 2006
    Only problem with this is Quad Core they will have to lower the GHz speed to reduce heat. Yeah it will still be fast. They will be like a 2GHz to start of with. So if you thinking about gaming you might want to stick with the fx-60 at its 2.6GHz. Ofcourse they might not lose this much speed since they are going from 90nm process to a 65nm process. And as far as I know you will have to upgrade your ram to DDR2. So you might just want to build a whole new box!
    AMD has had the same basic CPU clockspeed range for 3 yrs or so (1.8ghz - 2.4ghz). I expect the Quad-Core CPUs to have the same speed range

The Quad-Cores will be mass produced when AMD's 65nm process is up and running. Heat will be managable and similar to what you see now.
    edited January 2006
    Drool. :hair:

My oh my, I want one. I'm already hooked on dual core, and that's only been for a few weeks now.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@RWB said:
    considering the whole moore's law thing coming to an end in terms of what can be done with silcon and all, I can see very large CPU's with 20+ core's by 2020.

Hmm

notbad.jpg