Signup Closed For 64-Bit SM34!

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited February 2006 in Folding@Home
Announcing The First 64-BIT SMx Computer!
:celebrate SM34 Needs A Good Home!!! :celebrate
:smokin:

Just before Christmas I received a Private Message from our teammate Armo asking for my shipping address and notifying me that he wanted to give Team 93 a present. A few days later, two boxes arrived; one big one and another somewhat smaller one. The big box contained an ASUS Vintage-AE1 barebones system. The smaller one contained 256MB of RAM and a Sempron64 2600+ CPU!
:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:
After the paramedics revived me, I went to work testing this baby out. Those of you who have already taken the 64-Bit plunge know what I mean when I say that this baby is rockin'!

Out of gratitude for this amazing gift to The Team we decided to trick it out with the very best gear available in the SMx Parts Bin. It's sporting a fairly fast 40GB drive donated by GHoosdum and a matching black 52X24X52 CDRW Drive.

To complete the picture, Team 93 needs a good Host to take care of our very first 64-Bit SMx rig.

If you meet the qualifications for hosting one of our SMx machines, why not sign up to be a candidate? You could be the one chosen to house this Folding rig in your home, not to mention having that extra Folding sig to show off your status as one of Team 93's elite group of SMx Hosts.

The Hosting Requirements and Selection Process are available on the team page. Please look them over carefully before signing up.

If you feel you meet the requirements and are willing to sign the contract, announce your candidacy by posting in this thread and giving us some details about your hosting conditions (connection, environment, etc.) and your computer ability that would mark you as a suitable host for our latest SMx Folding machine.

Here's what Team 93 has assembled for our first 64-Bit machine:
SM34 Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS K8S-MV-V
CPU: Sempron64 2600+
Hard Drive: WDC 400AB-00CMB0 40GB
Display Adapter: SiS 760GX Mirage2 (Onboard)
Memory: 256MB Wintec PC2700 RAM
NIC: SiS190 100/10 (Onboard)
Case: Case & PSU included with ASUS barebones system.

If you happened upon this thread by accident and wonder what it is exactly that Folding hopes to accomplish, check out Join Folding for a quick summary of the F@H Project. Like many of us here, you could put your spare computer cycles to work for the betterment of mankind. Won't you consider joining us? :wave:

Sign up soon. We will give you plenty of notice before the signup period is closed and the SMx Committee vote is taken.

As per our new policy, there are no geographical limitations on hosting eligibilty.

Check out The SMx Project - Reloaded! thread for more information on the project in general. If you have any parts you could spare for future SMx rigs, go here and have a look at what we need. Memory (PC1600 or greater) and Motherboards are in extremely short supply. To keep this project going we need your help.

Good luck, everybody! :thumbsup::fold:

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    that is an awesome board, to bad im not 18 and my mom is hitler when it comes to the internet,
    /me reminds himself to never buy another modem with a standby switch.

I bet that thing rockers teh socks!

I have a 600mhz P3 slot 1 with mb and ram, but i doubt anyone would want that. its such a piece.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I'm in, and could take good care of SM34.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Wow. This is one of the best SMx rigs yet! Sounds like it could be a real heavy-hitter for the team! :fold:
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited January 2006
    i hope so :D
    edited January 2006
    That was an awesome donation, Armo! You da man! :leet:
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited January 2006
    I'm in again, and ever hopeful :)

Oh and look at my sig, my completed work units is at 3700....which is an AMD model number, what more of an omen do you need?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Wow! Just plain WOW!
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited January 2006
    Am I able to put my name in the hat for this rig? If so then I want to put my name in.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    maximusbad wrote:
    Am I able to put my name in the hat for this rig? If so then I want to put my name in.
    There are no restrictions on Hosting more than one rig. Having said that, we do like to spread the fun around, so all other things being equal a new candidate will probably have a leg up on a current Host. Who they cast their vote for is up to the individual SMx Committee members in any case.

Your name is now in the hat. Good luck - and thanks for doing a super job with SM30_Teta_Melebeck. :thumbsup:
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited January 2006
    I would like to, umm....
    what I want to say is...
    I wish everyone who puts their name in the hat, THE BEST OF LUCK! :D
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    Looks like a killer system! The winner better OC the bajebuz out of that thing ;) My Sempron (non-64) did 2.3GHz fairly easily.. and that equates to a major production increase as you can see below ;) folded almost as quick as my 3500+ did.

Bump and good luck to everyone!

attachment.php?attachmentid=18977&stc=1&d=1138516965
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I want so bad to put this one next to IC_11, but I just don't have room. And I'd blow my breaker.

Best of luck to all the candidates, and I'm going to be totally jealous of whoever wins :p
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited January 2006
    Thank you so much for this most generous donation Armo.

Also, I would like to throw my name into the hat. I am a guy with good home and internet. I also build machines often, and can fix any problem that may arise.
    edited January 2006
    There are a couple days left for you to throw your name in the hat.

Here are the fine candidates we have so far:

:fold: Straight_Man
    :fold: deicist
    :fold: maximusbad
    :fold: Liquid81
    edited January 2006
    Um I want to be in? Lol! Good luck to all the fine candidates! I'm living proof patients pays off :)
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited January 2006
    I'm living proof patients pays off :)
    If you're a doctor. The rest of us have to rely on patience. :nudge::D
    edited January 2006
    lol! while I guess I am a Computer Doctor!

Dr. Sledgehammer70

"Screw Driver"
    "Molex Cabling"
    "Quick! Quick! A 1mm Zip tie or we are going to lose her"
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    lol! while I guess I am a Computer Doctor!

Dr. Sledgehammer70

"Screw Driver"
    "Molex Cabling"
    "Quick! Quick! A 1mm Zip tie or we are going to lose her"
    Aren't you fancy. Duct tape and bailin' wiare for me. :mullet:
    edited January 2006
    The next time my gallbladder goes whacko on me I'm calling you two. I'll bring my own bailin' twine. :mullet:

Prof ignores the obvious inconsistency in his previous statement.
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited January 2006
    WOAH! I'm really a canidate!?!?! WOOT!
    edited January 2006
    Liquid81 wrote:
    WOAH! I'm really a candidate!?!?! WOOT!
    You sure are. :)
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited January 2006
    Only 4 candidates (fine ones though they be) for this piece of short media history? Come on guys, sign up for the cause!
  • edited February 2006
    grrr...stupid age requirements. this is gonna be one sweet folder. good luck to the candidates.

bikerboy
    edited February 2006
    bikerboy wrote:
    this is gonna be one sweet folder.

Tell me about it... I am praying I get SM-33 up and running so she can get a head start :)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    im glad to see theres some enthusiasm about this rig :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    The committee is PUMPED... and I mean REALLY PUMPED on this rig. All because of you, Armo. Thanks!!!!! :clap:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    The committee is PUMPED...
    Is that why I have gas this morning? :confused2
    edited February 2006
    When I saw the word "PUMPED" in this conversation my mind drifted wildly from thoughts of septic tanks to primesuspect's dog. :wow2:

There are roughly 24 hours left to get in on this sweet machine. Anyone else game? :woowoo:
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I would like to throw my name in the hat.

This will be the first time I have submitted my name for an SMX rig , But I am a long time team member and a dedicated folder. I have a stable enviornment. Own my home, 24/7 cable connection with several open ports on my "Farm" switch. I am currently running 10 machines in my Farm. And I think my "points" show that I can keep her producing. Also, I work out of my home so I will always "Be on top" of any "Situation" . Another plus would be that I only live about a half hour away from Prof so we could save some Funds on shipping if Prof and I meet for a <s> BEER</s> cup of coffee and handle the delivery that way.

Please accept my bid for the honor of hosting a truly special rig.

Scott tries to remember if he photochopped any of the commitee members........

oops... I think most of them ...

Thanks Armo for a really great donation !!!

Scott
    edited February 2006
    Man, I'm not on the committee but I'm impressed by those qualifications. Especially the beer, erm, coffee offer. ;)