new power supply?

athalonheadathalonhead Member
edited February 2006 in Hardware
I am getting a new power supply and after research I think I am going to get this one.
I am just runninng this by you guys to make sure it will work with my system--in the sig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    id rather see you with a name brand PSU, usualy that means less watts but FAR more stable, which is way more important, stick with Antec, Enlight, Enermax, OCZ, silverstone, or thermaltake

id replace that with at least this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103609
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2006
    FSP is a name brand ... there just the ones that should be used in value systems.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited February 2006
    I have read some bad stuff about coolermaster but that Enlight looks pretty good in features it says ---Server Grade Double Forward Converter --- I assume that is good if it means it could be used in a server. Does it have Over Voltage Protection ?
    FSP is a name brand ... there just the ones that should be used in value systems.
    Thats what I thought. Would 400 watts be good for my setup?too much or to little?
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited February 2006
    "To little" I think. With todays high end graphic cards and sata drives and the like. I would not go with under 475watts. If you buy a powerfull supply now, you will not have to upgrade your supply when you build your next computer. And remember extra power means stability, in most cases. Go with a good name brand as the above post recomends..Antec, Enlight, Enermax, OCZ, silverstone, or thermaltake...all very good brands. I have always used Enermax or Antec. Don't skimp on price with your power supply..it is the heart of your system..You can buy the best of everything for your computer but if you get a cheap power supply your system will be unstable as hell....
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    Fortron Source Power supplies are top notch.

The FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN you linked to is a 24pin Dual Rail PSU. It should be fine.
    Output +3.3V@22A, +5V@21A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@16A, -12V@0.3A, +5VSB@2A

However....I would step up to the FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN $50 (only $10 more)
    Output +3.3V@30A, +5V@28A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@18A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2A

Never skimp on your Power supply.
  • edited February 2006
    Yeah, FSP derates their PSUs, whoever thinks that they're only good for budget systems are sadly mistaken.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    i just never heard of them, =\ i stick with the ones i said.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    Armo wrote:
    i just never heard of them, =\ i stick with the ones i said.
    No one has heard of everything! :D
  • edited February 2006
    FSP= Fortron Source, Sparkle & Powerman. They make some of the best inexpensive PSUs that you can get your hands on.

They're not big on bling or fancy bells and whistles but they are strong, stable and easily push >rated wattage.
    edited February 2006
    I am not worried about upgradeability with this computer. The most I will do to it will be a better video card to work with goggle earth. Maybe another hardrive later. When I upgrade I will be building a complete 939 system.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited February 2006
    Well the FSP will be just fine for you then, and at a good price too...
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    My 4 rigs are currently running on 3 thermaltake, 1 Sparkle (Fortron). All solid.
    I've also read good things about the E-power/Tagan psu's.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited February 2006
    i love thermaltake and super-flower. I have 3 thermaltake's and 1 super-flower all very nice
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited February 2006
    My Thermaltake is pretty good. At one point I was having problems that were thought to be the TTake's fault, but everything's been fine for a while. The 12v rail is a little puny on mine though..
  • edited February 2006
    I'm currently running an Ultra X-2 and I've got to say it's a very nice PSU. The voltages are all very strong and it's nearly dead silent.
  • dstyle347dstyle347 Boston
    edited February 2006
    Hey I'm gonna jump your thread here for a minute.. I'm trying to find a PSU for my build. A8N-SLI Premium, Opteron 165, dual XFX 6800GS, other than that not much. Single HD, DVD Burner a couple fans... I really don't want to pay for an SLI certified PSU if I don't have to.
    edited February 2006
    I'm pretty sure you need to buy an SLI PSU (or use an adapter, but probably not recommended) in order to have two 12v 4-pin connectors. Is that right? (anyone)
  • edited February 2006
    The X-2 isn't really all that expensive, under $100. It's SLI certified (SLI connectors are 6 pin not 4) and has both the 4 pin CPU plug and the 8 pin EPS plug.
    edited February 2006
    Oh I thought the SLI power connectors WERE those 4-pin black CPU plugs. Hah oh well :p
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited February 2006
    I concur with the FSP PSU's. We run about 12 computers with 500W Blue Storm PSU's. No problems to date.

At least 10 others have the 400W Super-Flower. No complaints here either.

About to try a 600W E-Power for Sally's main comp.

This may be of help to some.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited February 2006
    FSP makes very very good psu's.

Tex
  • dstyle347dstyle347 Boston
    edited February 2006
    What are these Sunbeam's all about? It's a nice whale they got on the box, I can tell ya that much, and why not?
    Whales are the first thing that come to my mind when I think about computers and electricity..

Seriously though are they any good?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    EOC seems to have a good review of the 550W.http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cases/Sunbeamtech_NUUO_550W_1.html

Never tried one myself, there is always a first.
    edited February 2006
    I ordered the 400 watt FSP. I will probally get it monday. I will put it in and check the voltages with a multi meter and post back with the results.
    Now I wont have to worry about this powmax PS frying my rig or worse.
    Then there wont be much else to do to this rig.
    What am I going to do now? I want to build a 939 system. I cant help myself. Must resist.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    You can't resist the holly powers of socket 939...they are overwhellming...you mussent resist.
    edited February 2006
    I got the new PS and installed it.I checked the voltages here are the results.

12 volt rail-Idle 21.31-12.33
    online 12.41
    fullload 12.47
    start up 12.26-12.48
    full load was running spybotsearch& destroy

5 volt 4.99-5.04 all loads
    3.3 3.33 never changed
    The original PS was so generic all it said on it was atx switching PS. Didnt even say powmax on it which is probally good. I will just keep it for testing.

Since I cant help myself and I like to modify I removed the fan grille.I was able to do it without taking it apart.

Sigh of releif that I dont have to worry about frying my computer with that cheap PS. There was also a big difference in weight the FSP was alot heavier.