Affordable wiring?

fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Anybody know of a site where I can buy power supply wiring and adapters for cheap with reasonable shipping cost? Seems that even at newegg, its gonna cost me $18 for 2 little wires.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16812145008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16812201004

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    PM me and let me know what you need. I'll only charge shipping and a Heatware evaluation. How's that sound!

EDIT: OOPS, sorry, I don't have those. You can make your own EPS12v connector. Here's a paste from a thread I responded to earlier today. Also take a look at the attachment, a pic of one of the EPS12v plugs I made. It's pretty simple.
    The 8-pin connectors (EPS12v) aren't just for workstations. They are becoming frequently seen now on boards designed for dual core, especially power-hungry Intel boards. It's not necessary to fill all 8-pins on the EPS12 nor all 24 pins on the ATX connector, but often, especially if the system has a high power draw, stability will be improved. The additional pins on both connectors serve to distribute power more evenly across the board (sorry for lack of technical description).

Deicist, the 8-pin plug, or rather lack of 8-pin plug is an easy fix. I've modified two PSUs for EPS12v for two different motherboards. Each time it has worked perfectly. I've attached a picture of the necessary modification.

Here's what you do:

- from an old, dead PSU remove one of the 'P4' connectors, keeping nice lengths of two yellow and two black wires tailing the connector

- splice the old (cut) connector's wires on to the good PSU's P4's connector's wires , yellow to yellow, black to black (these are nothing more than 12v and ground wires)

- The plastic form around the old P4 connector will need to be trimmed in order to fit the motherboard pin receivers. Just use a very sharp, thin-bladed knife. (careful! the knife can slip easily off the plastic)

If you still have stability problems (or inability to overclock) you may also need to get a 20 to 24-pin adaptor for your PSU's ATX plug.

If you don't have an old/dead PSU in your parts bin, call a local computer shop. Odds are they've got a bunch PSUs sitting in a dust bin (trash can, for us Americans). They'll probably let you snip off a connector at no cost.

Muddocktor. Both the MSI 945P Neo F and my present Asus P5WD2 have EPS12v motherboard slots.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I think I have those. I'll check on monday and send them to you for free if I have them.
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited February 2006
    That would be great!! Ill gladly pay for shipping. If you've got paypal then Ill do that.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    On a related note, for some reason Antec decided that we don't need P4 connectors on SSI boards since their P4 connector snaps on to another 4-pin to form the SSI connector. I'd like Antec to meet my Supermicro H8DCE and my MSI K8T Master2-FAR which BOTH *REQUIRE* the P4 and the SSI connectors to function to any degree of stability. Luckily Frys stocks the drive power->P4 adapters for cheap.

-drasnor :fold: