Help! 930 OC

edited February 2006 in Hardware
hi, i just set up a new rig and was trying some OC (OC newbie here)

my setup is:

Intel 930 3.0GHz
MSI 945P Neo2-F Mobo
4 x 1GB VS1GB533D2 DDR2-533 Corsair Dual Channel
MSI 7800GT 256MB PCIe

I've been trying to overclock the 200MHz FSB from the BIOS, but as long as I go past 223MHz, the BIOS seems to reset the clock speed back to 200MHz. I've tried adjusting the NB voltage and the Vcore voltage, but I can't seem to get anything higher than 224MHz. At 15x, the clock speed is about 3.36GHz max.

I've been reading forums and sites like anandtech that have successfully OCed this proc up to 4GHz with the HSF. Is there any reason why I'm getting nowhere near even 3.5 or 3.6GHz?

Thanks very much in advance for helping this newbie! :thumbsup:

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    knoxknocks wrote:
    hi, i just set up a new rig and was trying some OC (OC newbie here)

my setup is:

Intel 930 3.0GHz
    MSI 945P Neo2-F Mobo
    4 x 1GB VS1GB533D2 DDR2-533 Corsair Dual Channel
    MSI 7800GT 256MB PCIe

I've been trying to overclock the 200MHz FSB from the BIOS, but as long as I go past 223MHz, the BIOS seems to reset the clock speed back to 200MHz. I've tried adjusting the NB voltage and the Vcore voltage, but I can't seem to get anything higher than 224MHz. At 15x, the clock speed is about 3.36GHz max.

I've been reading forums and sites like anandtech that have successfully OCed this proc up to 4GHz with the HSF. Is there any reason why I'm getting nowhere near even 3.5 or 3.6GHz?

Thanks very much in advance for helping this newbie! :thumbsup:

I'd be suspecting that the memory may be hitting it's maximum clock, and limiting your OC. As you increase your FSB, your memory frequency also increases proportionatly. Try to impose a lower memory divider and see if that helps. I am not too familiar with your mainboard (or P4s in general for that matter) :) But look for something like 'DRAM Divider' or 'DRAM/Memory Frequency Set' etc.
  • edited February 2006
    Also, isn't that the same board that Leo originally was using on his 820, lemonlime? I remember that he ran into the same type of problems with overclocking in bios with it and then went with using the StormCell Windows app for overclocking it. Hopefully Leo will drop into this thread when he sees it and can help out some more with the MSI board and a DC Intel beastie.

He's now using an Asus board though because he crushed his northbridge on the MSI when trying to install a bigger heatsink on it.
  • edited February 2006
    thanks! i also thought it may be that...the problem is that i'm only able to set the memory speed as Auto, 400MHz, 533MHz or 667 MHz. Even the SPD setting just says Enabled or Disabled.

guess this mobo is too "friendly"!

in anycase, i've set it to a lower clock speed at 400MHz, still no dice past 224MHz. looks like i've hit a brick wall.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Also, isn't that the same board that Leo originally was using on his 820, lemonlime? I remember that he ran into the same type of problems with overclocking in bios with it and then went with using the StormCell Windows app for overclocking it. Hopefully Leo will drop into this thread when he sees it and can help out some more with the MSI board and a DC Intel beastie.

He's now using an Asus board though because he crushed his northbridge on the MSI when trying to install a bigger heatsink on it.

Yep, I think you're right mudd, hopefully he'll drop in :)
    knoxknox wrote:
    in anycase, i've set it to a lower clock speed at 400MHz, still no dice past 224MHz. looks like i've hit a brick wall.

Definitely not the ram then, It should be significantly 'underclocked' using that divider. Have you tried increasing the CPU voltage (vcore) ? I'd try to increase that a notch or two. If you still hit the same wall, Leo may have a solution for you :thumbsup:
  • edited February 2006
    yeah, i was reading his thread as well on the 820 OC.

think he was using CoreCenter to overclock FSB. But when i try using CoreCenter, the PC locks up, even if it's a 1% increase...dang. technology :rant:
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited February 2006
    I have the same chip with a gigabyte nforce 4 motherboard. It does overclock well, and the nvidia chip sets allow you to fix the memory to the FSB, or to lock it at 400, 533, or 667 while the FSB changes. It's pretty sweet. TO get a good overclock, you might want to get an nforce 4 board.
  • edited February 2006
    I have the same chip with a gigabyte nforce 4 motherboard. It does overclock well, and the nvidia chip sets allow you to fix the memory to the FSB, or to lock it at 400, 533, or 667 while the FSB changes. It's pretty sweet. TO get a good overclock, you might want to get an nforce 4 board.

you referring to the Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI? Wow, that's an expensive mobo!
    edited February 2006
    knoxknocks wrote:
    you referring to the Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI? Wow, that's an expensive mobo!

The quad royal is expensive. The GA-8N-SLI is $110, and the GA-8N-SLI Pro is around $115.
  • edited February 2006
    hmmm...maybe i'll go check it out
    edited February 2006
    there are also other intel nforce 4 motherboards around that price point. take your pick! I still have stock cooling. I'm waiting until I have the cash for a big typhoon. Then I am going to OC more. Right now I have my machine at 3.2Ghz with the stock fan running comfortably.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited February 2006
    yeah it is definitely your mobo.....that msi 945p board is not an overclocker's board. can't remeber where, but i read a review online and they ran into the same 233fsb barrier.

your only hope is that msi releasees an overclocker's friendly BIOS, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

you could sell it and then use that money to purchase an overclocker's board.

let us know, i am sure we can come up with some good suggestions.
  • edited February 2006
    hey guys! thanks for all the help and advice.

man, this is a great forum. I've gotten more answers here than i have in all of the other forums i've asked this question combined!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    OK, I have now dropped in! :D
    Try to impose a lower memory divider and see if that helps. I am not too familiar with your mainboard (or P4s in general for that matter) But look for something like 'DRAM Divider' or 'DRAM/Memory Frequency Set' etc.
    Maybe not familiar with that motherboard, but you do know what you're talking about. You can indeed set a FSB/DRAM divider to keep your DRAM close to it's rated speed, that way all the overclocking will be through the FSB, lowering the variables your motherboard and DRAM must contend with. That's a decent overclcocking board. It's good quality with lots of settings, but no, you won't get much DRAM overclock out of it.
    think he was using CoreCenter to overclock FSB. But when i try using CoreCenter, the PC locks up, even if it's a 1% increase...dang. technology
    Whether it's Asus, Abit, or MSI, don't use the software overclocking crap! It is only for mild overclocks. Use the BIOS only. Turn off/uninstall all software overclocking software.

If you really get frustrated with your D930, I'd be happy test it for you - long term! :D

Don't give up on you MSI. No, it's not in the same league with the top-of-line Asus overclocking boards (i945p and i955X chipsets), but's a good, solid board. I quit using mine because of RMA, not because of dislike.

EDIT: Just reread your starting post. Yes, you can lower the DRAM frequency. If it is not lowering, even though you set it in the BIOS, you've got something else not set right. SPD? Turn OFF SPD and manually select the timings. (Maybe you already have.)
    I've tried adjusting the NB voltage and the Vcore voltage, but I can't seem to get anything higher than 224MHz.
    You will not get higher DRAM frequency than that.

If you are able to confirm that all automatic OC stuff is turned off, and that you have manual (BIOS) control over DRAM frequency, DRAM timings, and FSB, and that you are still stuck at 3.5-3.6 GHz, then it is time to consider better cooling? What are your system and CPU core temperatures under overclock and load?
    edited February 2006
    Knox, I just checked out my 820D overclocking thread. Before the board died (or I killed it) I was running stable overclocks ranging from 14 X 240 to 14 X 260. You've either got some screwy settings in the BIOS, or OC softare is interfering, or you are bumping up against a thermal wall, preventing FSB increases.

Check also that you've turned off any thermal control settings in the BIOS - but ONLY if you are monitoring your temperatures.
    edited February 2006
    Sorry, I can't seem to get all my thoughts into a single post...so I'll just keep adding posts onesie and twosie at a time.

Back to thermals. Your board has decent, but not great northbridge, southbridge, and mosfet heatsinks. I recommend pulling all of them off, removing the cheap silicon thermal paste, and replacing with Arctic Silver. Also, that northbridge heatsink gets quite hot under OC and load. Recommend you install a fan on top of it to blow into the heatsink. Regardless of the board's overclcocking robustness (PCB quality, voltage regulation, BIOS options), you won't get very far if the mosfets and northbridge are overheating. (You may already know this - I just don't know your overclocking/hardware experience level.)
  • edited February 2006
    thanks leonardo!

i'm gonna try to de-install the corecenter to see if it helps. I've been OCing from the BIOS anyway. Installed it to monitor the temps.

not sure if it helps. when i go beyond 224 on the FSB after setting it on the BIOS, the system reboots but kind of shuts down first and resets the FSB to 200MHz.

anyway, i'll go look a bit closer at the cooling on the NB and CPU. i have a thermaltake golden orb but the last time i installed it, it somehow fried the mobo cos i saw smoke coming out from the 12V connector.

looking at your stable setup, 14x240 to 14x260 is about 3360 to 3640MHz. Mine's currently stable (or rather, can't go beyond) 15x224 which is 3360MHz. Maybe it's really the cooling or RAM. at load with prime95, cpu temp is about 50-53 degrees C.
    edited February 2006
    50-53*C under load is good! What about the northbridge? If you haven't added a fan and replaced the silicon goop, I bet it's getting very, very hot.

I wish I could remember more details of the MSI BIOS. Sorry, but that was two motherboards ago for my D820 system. I do remember though, that once I turned off/uninstalled all the software overclocking sludgeware and turned off all the auto-overclocking features in the BIOS, I was able to run away with FSB settings that weren't previously possible.

There are overclocking 'presets' in the BIOS (forget what they're called), such as 5%, 10%, and so forth. Make sure they are turned off.
  • edited February 2006
    i've uninstalled corecenter, still no dice. DOT is also turned off.

maybe i'll go take a look at the Asus P5WD2p. this board seems to do pretty well at OC :thumbsup: