Geforce 7800 Series Reaches End Of Life

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Science & Tech
Nvidia partners have filled their last orders of Geforce 7800 GTX 512, 256 and 7800 GT cards. The cards will be available for retail as long as supplies last. It seems that Nvidia and its partners want to clear the inventory to make way for its faster G71 based products.
It has Geforce 7900 GTX as the flagship card and it also has less expensive 7900 GT card and there is no space for the mutual coexistence with the 7800 GTX and GT. The new cards ought to be faster than the previous one and, more than likely, even cheaper.
Source: The Inquirer

Comments

• reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited February 2006
    D'OH, I just bought mine.....
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Cheaper? OK...... I'll take that with a grain of salt please.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    Wow, these cards are starting to have the shortest lifespans I've ever seen. The X1800 series takes the cake though. I think it only lasted four months in production.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    My god...it's going to be inpossiable to keep up at this rate. So by the time I have enough to spend on a 7900GTX, the new 8000GTX will be around.

That whole less expensive talk is such BS. No new GPU is EVER less expensive.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Why can't they spend more time making something good rather than spending all their time chucking out as many new products as possible to increase profits.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Why can't they spend more time making something good rather than spending all their time chucking out as many new products as possible to increase profits.

You just answered your own question ;)
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    I want to see something revelutionary. I mean...the 7800 series rocked hardcore. They had everything in them that we wanted in the 6800's but just didn't get (6800 series rocked the house to).

Now we seem to be caught up in a stream of "Catch-up crap" as I like to call it.

ATI releases the X1800 series. Basically crap with an over clocked GPU and GDDR. Now to catch up to that, Nvidia is releasing a new card...and I can only hope that the GPU is something or domes something innovative that warrants me buying 2 of them.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Well the 7900 is rumored to be the first card with DX10 support and SM 4.0 along with PS 4.0. Now will all these items be in the new chip? will Nvidia actually hit the X1900XTX across the face? and make it a cheaper card?

If they hit 700Mhz I will be very happy for Nvidia! I just hope it gives us more than a 18% increase in performance. if it was a 45% increase I wouldn't mind spending the cash.. but only time will tell!
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited February 2006
    Why bother with bigger and better? Why don't we try actually making the product, you know, reasonable? I mean, yeah sure they release the GTs and the XEs and whatever else card, but they've all got their nuts chopped off.

Dear nVidia/ATi:
    Please work on a better price/performance ratio for you flagship cards. It's getting way out of hand. But you're not listening anyway, so whatever.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    entropy wrote:
    Dear nVidia/ATi:
    Please work on a better price/performance ratio for you flagship cards. It's getting way out of hand. But you're not listening anyway, so whatever.
    I'll sign that letter, too. I wish people would stop buying the $500 cards for one generation, so they'd consider releasing them at a more reasonable price next time around.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Myr ule of thumb has and will always be.... $300 or less per item. If it's $301 you can kiss my you know what ;)
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    Do really need anything better than the 7800 right now!?!?!?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    truevision came up with a concept card years ago about the time the matrox was hitting the mainstream. This card was to allow for upgradable gpu and vram. Before the card ever hit market though they were bought out and nothing more was done about the upgradable video.

I guess there's more market in closing pipes to sell cheaper cards idunno.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    Do really need anything better than the 7800 right now!?!?!?

Give it a week.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited February 2006
    Qel thinks that

One generation of video boards required a larger power supply ...
    The next generation required their own power connectors ...
    This new generation of video card will probably require its own PSU ...
    ... and if it has a dual card solution ...

:: ... buy more Antec stock ... ::

Note: The 7800/X1900 series use almost 300 watts under full load.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    jradmin wrote:
    I want to see something revelutionary. I mean...the 7800 series rocked hardcore. They had everything in them that we wanted in the 6800's but just didn't get (6800 series rocked the house to).

Now we seem to be caught up in a stream of "Catch-up crap" as I like to call it.

ATI releases the X1800 series. Basically crap with an over clocked GPU and GDDR. Now to catch up to that, Nvidia is releasing a new card...and I can only hope that the GPU is something or domes something innovative that warrants me buying 2 of them.

I was going to post a follow up news item about Nvidia's new cards replacing the 7800, but the article is so badly written and confusing I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Heres the article for those who want to read it: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29795

As far as I see it, its a catch up war, they making heaps of money and the only loser is the consumer at the end of the day.
    As has been mentioned, to shell out the extra cash for performance that is hardly noticible just to have the benchmark numbers is crazy in my opinion. :scratch: I have never seen the logic to that, but if people want to pay the premium for keeping up with the latest in hardware, then they must part with their money. ATI and Nvidia will love you for it.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I have a problem with the video card costing more than the system's CPU and RAM combined. I also have a problem with the increasing power consumption. Personally, I'm a big fan of efficiency. That's why I love the AMD64 chips and Pentium M's - power consumption is going down on the newer, more powerful CPUs. I just wish the same thing will happen with GPUs as well.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    Qeldroma wrote:
    Note: The 7800/X1900 series use almost 300 watts under full load.

Not true. While the ENTIRE system may use 300+ watts under full load, the top of the line Video cards use about 100-120watts
    Edit: Ouch! the 7800GTX 512 uses ~140watts

Techreport Power Consumption Tests

Idle System Power Usage
    Single X1900XTX 152 watts
    Crossfire X1900XTX 149 watts
    Difference Between Single & Dual Card Power usage -3 watts

GeForce 7800GTX 512MB 155 watts
    GeForce 7800GTX 512MB SLI 190 watts
    Difference Between Single & Dual Card Power usage 35 watts

Full Load System Power Usage
    Single X1900XTX 341 watts
    Dual X1900XTX 440 watts
    Difference Between Single & Dual Card Power usage 99 watts

GeForce 7800GTX 512MB 318 watts
    GeForce 7800GTX 512MB SLI 456 watts
    Difference Between Single & Dual Card Power usage 138 watts
    edited February 2006
    Omega65 wrote:
    Not true. While the ENTIRE system may use 300+ watts under full load, the top of the line Video cards use about 100-120watts
    Edit: Ouch! the 7800GTX 512 uses ~140watts

Omega65, this was my reference-

Tech Report page on power consumption

So you saw what I did. :D
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited February 2006
    I figured, that's why I looked for the review that featured Dual Video Card Power figures. TechReport rocks! :rockon:
    edited February 2006
    Omega65 wrote:
    I figured, that's why I looked for the review that featured Dual Video Card Power figures. TechReport rocks! :rockon:

:thumbsup: Yeah. And that's why this place does too- because people bother to look. My fault is that I should have said DUAL card.

I was looking at the AIW (which is very clocked down and cuts back on power equivalently) but I'd like to take that up on another thread :) .