Is this hardware compatibly? Help

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Ok i'm building a computer for a friend just wanting to know if all this stuf is compatible

Vid: Galaxy 6800XT 256MB 256Bit DDR3 PCI-E
Proc: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 939 Dual Core
RAM: Corsair TWINX 3200C2 1024Mb/1Gb KIT (2x512Mb)
Mobo: ASRock 939S56-M

Just checking with you guys because it'd be shame (and bloody big problem) for him to pay all this and then have it not work.

Any help appreciated,
Kefart

Comments

• edited February 2006
    Oh yea,

Will normal Windows XP (32-bit version) run on the AMD 64? I've never been able to try, i only got a 2Ghz P4 thats probably on its last leg.

Kefart
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    kefart wrote:
    Ok i'm building a computer for a friend just wanting to know if all this stuf is compatible

Vid: Galaxy 6800XT 256MB 256Bit DDR3 PCI-E
    Proc: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 939 Dual Core

Just checking with you guys because it'd be shame (and bloody big problem) for him to pay all this and then have it not work.

Any help appreciated,
    Kefart

All that equipment should work just fine, but I'm just wondering if there is a budget restriction here? How much are they wanting to spend? ASRock's are good stable boards in my opinion. I've been using them in customer and business desktops for 3 years and have never had one go bad on me, but you probably want something that's going to make better use of that chip.

Like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530

Windows XP Pro will work better then fine with that chip.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    http://www.asrock.com/product/939S56-M.htm
    according to this it looks fine.
    double check your bios rev when you get the mobo.
    what speed do you plan on running the memory?
  • edited February 2006
    Yea there is a budget restriction, $2550AU with all screen and accessories included.

Kefart
  • edited February 2006
    Memry i'lll run at stock, no o/cing yet, he's come from mac so i want his first comp to be nice n stable.

Kefart
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited February 2006
    Yes, that would all work. But I will jump in and say that you should go with the Opteron instead of the X2.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584

It's a little lower clock speed, but less expensive. They seem like better chips. I had a friend want to buy a 3800+ X2 and I conviced them to go with the Opteron and it seems like it was a good suggestion. Anyway, it's all still good stuff. Also, the 6800GS is a better GFX card, and isn't that much more expensive. I would bump up the GFX card and cut back on the processor.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    I agree with Reelbigfish on this. For one thing, your not going to get much OCing out of that motherboard if you did decide to do it at some point. ASRock's are ASUS' offbrand board, not really designed for the hard core comp wizard. Second of all, what you can do is OC that 6800GS pretty easily to around 40-50mhz on both GPU and GDDR side more then its stock speed. That will add a bit more punch to his graphics with minimal customizations to worry about getting flubbed up.
  • edited February 2006
    OK,

I got and Opteron 170 and 6800GS, much cheaper and hopefully better.
    I need to change mobo now, it doesnt like Opteron.

Kefart
  • edited February 2006
    According to Asrock's processor compatibility page, the Opteron 170 is supported since bios revision 1.30 on that board. Here's a link to the page: http://www.asrock.com/support/CPU_Support/show.asp?Model=939S56-M
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    your not going to get much OCing out of that motherboard if you did decide to do it at some point
    The customer is moving over from Mac. I really doubt he'll be overclocking. :bigggrin:
  • edited February 2006
    OK, I've made some changes

First no Opteron, changed mobo back to the original heres the list. Tell me if it'll work (compatible)

Graphics: Galaxy 6800GS 256MB PCI-E
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 939 Retail Box San Diego

I chose the processor to go with version 1 of the motherboard's BIOS, just to play it safe.

Kefart
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited February 2006
    Usually they won't ship you such an early verison of the motherboard BIOS. I would go with at least the 3800+. The dual core is really nice. You'll never want to go back.