ftp help

BudBud Chesterfield, Va
edited February 2006 in Science & Tech
im trying to get a ftp setup. I have serv-u up and running. if i log in local its fine. If I try through some where else i can login but it times out and i get Data Socket Error: Connection timed out. I have port forwarding setup on my router and i think its done right. I have it set for using remotely anywhere and its fine. Any clues what it could be?

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    Try using that and flash fxp. I transfered alot of files from my computer to my parents computer. Have serv-u running on the computer that you want the files to get to, and a program like flashfxp on the computer that your transferring them from.

Worked for me, hope it will for you too.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited February 2006
    i tried flash fxp same error
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    You need both ports 20 and 21 forwarding to the host to guarantee that FTP will work reliably :)

Also check the server settings to see what kind of client connection timeout you have setup. If it's really short (few seconds), you may find that your internet connection congestion is causing connection delays & thus going over the client time out :)
    edited February 2006
    i am using port 1500 and i specify it. If i open IE i put in ftp://ip address:1500
    edited February 2006
    i tried reinstalling the serv-u software. Still no luck. I can remote in to my machine fine i so i figure its not a router or slow connection issue. I mean i know its not blazing fast but i am on comcast broadband.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited February 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    You need both ports 20 and 21 forwarding to the host to guarantee that FTP will work reliably :)
    Bud wrote:
    i am using port 1500 and i specify it.

Bud,
    FTP uses two ports (default 20 and 21) one for commands and one for data transfer. You will probably need to foward a second port for this to work correctly.
    edited February 2006
    i forwarded 1499, 1500, 1501. same issue
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    should it be in the DMZ?
    edited February 2006
    tried still no luck
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2006
    Why don't you set it up to use the default ports, get it working and then start messing around with changing the ports?