60 Feet to High Speed

Comments

• dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2006
    That is one mean feat, GooD. Great determination, great job. :thumbsup:

Tres bien mon ami, tres bien. :smiles:
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited March 2006
    Sweet, front page on Digg.com!! Cool article too!

Nice job!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Hawk wrote:
    Outstanding job Good! Now all it needs is a Canadian flag set on top of that baby. Well done.

lol, absolutely! :canflag:

.. make it happen GooD.. and a team93 flag while you are at it! :D
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited March 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    lol, absolutely! :canflag:

.. make it happen GooD.. and a team93 flag while you are at it! :D

Hahah, send me a canada flag and make me a Team93 flag and i'll do it and take a picture ! ;D

EDITED : BTW you don't know how many guts it takes to reach the top of this thing, it does not procure a feeling of security for sure haha, it must be like overclocking a celeron cpu i suppose :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2006
    GooD wrote:
    BTW you don't know how many guts it takes to reach the top of this thing, it does not procure a feeling of security for sure haha, it must be like overclocking a celeron cpu i suppose :rolleyes:
    You never know if you do not try...
    Actually it is not very scary at all. Just use proper safety equipment.

Some pictures taken on top of a 200 feet shimney:
    http://ra.vendomar.ee/~ivo/gallery/IM000294.JPG
    http://ra.vendomar.ee/~ivo/gallery/IM000470.JPG
    http://ra.vendomar.ee/~ivo/gallery/IM000203.JPG
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited March 2006
    GooD, this is so awesome, I love it even better than the first time we heard it as a story in The Pub. The article turned out really well, good job to you and to Keebs for editing.

:rockon:

Dexter...
    edited March 2006
    Ivoshiee wrote:
    You never know if you do not try...
    Actually it is not very scary at all. Just use proper safety equipment.

Some pictures taken on top of a 200 feet shimney:
    http://ra.vendomar.ee/~ivo/gallery/IM000294.JPG
    http://ra.vendomar.ee/~ivo/gallery/IM000470.JPG
    http://ra.vendomar.ee/~ivo/gallery/IM000203.JPG

I have climb my 60' two times, one without proper safety equipement and the other one with equipement. My tower is very tin and small at the end, and its going a little from rigth to left you can feel it move. With proper its not scary cuz you know you wont fall. But the first time i climbed it i was climbing VERY SLOWLY ;)

Nice pictures BTW :D
    edited March 2006
    Hahah im amazed how stupid some people can be. On digg i saw some comments that make me laugh a lot, specialy the last one when i specified that english was not my primary langage :

-Wanna know what is worse than a French Canadian? Me too, I can't think of anything.

Like if i will care lol

I could reply - an arrogant person from any country :D

I hope he was not hoping i'll get mad or cry, cuz it wont work, im actually laughing lol ;D

Oh and some that use the fact that my dad help me a lot and those kind of thing, like if asking for help or getting help was kinda weak or loser hahaha

LoL :clap:

At least there are good people on this site (digg) that took my side too ;) Well i suppose each web site have his load of idots, each web site excluding SM :clap:

That's funny how i think i can write in a better way than most of the english people who sometimes try to laugh at me. On WoW a girl told me 'Is english your primary langage ?' I was feeling bad a then told her 'Yeah =/ sorry for my bad spelling if that happen' and she said 'no no don't worry, i was asking this because you speak in a good way, way too much good, most of people around here are using shortcuts everywhere and its almost not readable, you don't do so and are always very clear lol'

I almost spit my coke in my screen lol :D

I know that's :topic: but i was willing to share my opinion on this with you ;)
    edited March 2006
    GooD wrote:
    ..I know that's :topic: but i was willing to share my opinion on this with you ;)

Hey GooD, I was pretty apauled by some of those comments on that site as well. Very sad :shakehead ..I'm pretty sure that those people have never undertaken any challenge remotely like yours. I'm glad that you are laughing about it though :D

Some people need to stop wasting 1's and 0's of valuable web space and realize that they don't have to post every stupid comment that enters their brains. :)

This guy summed it up well:
    Well, I'll go ahead and say "GooD" job and just ignore the critics that don't appreciate the effort you went through. I'll also say your English is better than some trolls who have it as their primary language. Yeah, you have some connections that made the job easier but so what. What I got from the article is you took some initiative, negotiated some deals, etc., worked your ass off, and got the job done for a reasonable cost (yes not "on a budget" for the grammar police).

For the detractors posting here about where his dad works, etc., if you lived in a rural or small community how do you know the local cement company wouldn't be willing to dump their leftovers at the end of the day? Or maybe barter setting up a companies WIFI for some free cement / welding / crane? It's called bartering.

'Nuff said.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    There will always be those who are jealous of people who have the brains and initiative to do something they are too lazy and/or stupid to do themselves. It's pathetic to the point of being laughable. ;)
    edited March 2006
    OMG look what you did GooD! U killed SM..

We got slash-dotted! :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=19394&stc=1&d=1141433028
    attachment.php?attachmentid=19531&d=1142604612
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    le ouch! Even our really nice server is having trouble with this load :D

Congrats, GooD!

Hello, visitors from /., digg, and others :)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I'm just tickled my name appears on Slashdot ;D

GooD, this would be your 15 minutes in the limelight. Soak it in, mate, soak it in. :cool:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    The instant I saw that screen cap of /. I busted out laughing - the first thing in the article is Keebs' name! ;D

GooD, I agree with lemonlime and prof and I'm glad that you're proud of your accomplishment - I'm thrilled that the few idiot detractors didn't manage to get you down. You also accomplished posting the most widely interesting article on Short-Media ever. Damn you're GooD! ;)
    edited March 2006
    If you notice, all of the negative comments are from those who have all sorts of "great advice", or people who love to tell you how THEY would have done it better, or bigger, or some other way, etc.

They remind me of people without kids who like to give me parenting advice :D

The point is, GooD had a need, and saw a challenge and decided to utilize whatever he had at his disposal to overcome it. GooD, no matter what it is or what the details are - you accomplished your goal. Congratulations :)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2006
    hey GooD, do you share the conection with your neighbors, or just make them suffer with jelously?
    edited March 2006
    OMG look what you did GooD! U killed SM..

Hahah yeah im finaly able to post back :p

I hope it will still take some new members around here
    hey GooD, do you share the conection with your neighbors, or just make them suffer with jelously?

Yeah i have offer to my first neighbor (to the rigth, as i have the **** church to the left lol) to share with him for a 50/50 deal with the fee per month (it cost me 55 CND per month, i would have charge him 20) but he was not interested as he does not seem to want internet anymore as he lack of money. I don't want to share with more than one as i want everything i can get from my connection :cool: I don't think any of the other neighbors needs highspeed internet
    Some people need to stop wasting 1's and 0's of valuable web space and realize that they don't have to post every stupid comment that enters their brains.

Hahah well said my friend ! Since we can't get rid of them, lets laugh at them :)
    There will always be those who are jealous of people who have the brains and initiative to do something they are too lazy and/or stupid to do themselves. It's pathetic to the point of being laughable.

Sure it is, that's why im laughing :D
    GooD, I agree with lemonlime and prof and I'm glad that you're proud of your accomplishment - I'm thrilled that the few idiot detractors didn't manage to get you down. You also accomplished posting the most widely interesting article on Short-Media ever. Damn you're GooD!

Thankx :cool: hahah I guest the main reason why its so widely interesting is because its not technical and its more of a 'article about what a geek can do to get highspeed internet'. I say if your mother can read it and find it interesting, then its 'for everyone' hah
    edited March 2006
    Ahahah, geez another open reply here after reading a lot of comments of 'security problems' in my installation :

There's a lot of people who think the tower will fall or my house will burn at the first storm. I had 2 quite big storm this winter with very high speed wind and my tower is still alive and in his vertical position. ;)

The tower is link with the house with a metal wire, to support the network wire but also to support the tower itself. So if the tower want to fall it will need to take a part of the wall of the post office or break the metal wire. ;)

As for the risk of being stroke by ligthning, I don't think the house will burn if the tower get strike by ligthning too :p. i can't say it "won't" happen but i don't think the risk is that high. But after reading all those 'feared' reply on digg and slashdot im thinking about adding 2 more grounding rod as soon about winter will end. One for each of the tower legs, this will get rid of another % of risk for sure. heh

Plus, all the walls are in big brick, i don't think it can burn of conduct electricity. Well the network wire can (maybe ?) but its 180 feets of wire and if i ever see my computer burn because of that i'll take the blame :aol:

As for those who think it wont last MANY years, i will only need the tower for approx. 4 years :) After that i'll move in a 'real' city hah

There's some who want me to have a life, i have a good job, a girlfriend and a lot of geeks and normal friends... I have the life i want, and im happy with it :D
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited March 2006
    you have more of a life then i do

nice jod on the tower looks prof.
    edited March 2006
    Okay the numbers are in.

We had FOUR MILLION VIEWS of that article on Friday alone. :eek2:

Kevin, you're a little bit famous now :D

We made german mass media too - DER SPIEGEL!

Der Spiegel carried it (The blurb was re-written into German). The headline was Die Kirche ist im Weg (The church is in the way!)

Your name was on it too!

"Gerade auf dem flachen Land kann es manchmal schwierig werden einen schnellen Internet-Zugang zu bekommen. Vor diesem Problem stand auch der Kanadier Kevin Lavallée. Eine Kirche blockiert die Sendestrecke zwischen seinem Haus und dem Sendemast eines Internet-Providers. Seine pragmatische Lösung: Er baute sich einen 20 Meter hohen Empfangsturm in den Garten. Nachahmung auf eigene Gefahr!"
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    4 million.... WOW!!!
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited March 2006
    how many total sence it was posted?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited March 2006
    That's awesome! I saw it a while back in the pub, but this version is much better :thumbup

Sorry if this was already asked/answered, but were there any FAA or aircraft safety stuff involved? Did you need a red light on the top or anything?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    FAA
    Irrelevant. It's Canada.
    edited March 2006
    Okay the numbers are in.

We had FOUR MILLION VIEWS of that article on Friday alone. :eek2:

Kevin, you're a little bit famous now :D

We made german mass media too - DER SPIEGEL!

Der Spiegel carried it (The blurb was re-written into German). The headline was Die Kirche ist im Weg (The church is in the way!)

Your name was on it too!

"Gerade auf dem flachen Land kann es manchmal schwierig werden einen schnellen Internet-Zugang zu bekommen. Vor diesem Problem stand auch der Kanadier Kevin Lavallée. Eine Kirche blockiert die Sendestrecke zwischen seinem Haus und dem Sendemast eines Internet-Providers. Seine pragmatische Lösung: Er baute sich einen 20 Meter hohen Empfangsturm in den Garten. Nachahmung auf eigene Gefahr!"

DID YOU SAY 4 MILLIONS , ON FRIDAY ALONE ???? :hair::nudge:

This is TOTALY out of expectation hahaha I was waiting for 500 000, maybe a million in the better case, but 4 millions in a single day... :bigggrin: That explain the severe lag problems of the forum for sure lol

Im doing some google search about now and find the article linked almost everywhere in news site lol

And on top of this, i recieved a message today :
    I'm a journalist with CanWest News Service, a Canadian wire service for 12 daily papers, including the National Post. Could you put me in touch with Kevin Lavallee? I'd like to write about his wireless tower project.

NATIONAL POST... ... ... OMG :wow2: :cool:

I wrote him back this morning, he's now asking the editor just to see if he can really go on... :D

:canflag:
    edited March 2006
    hahah holy smokes... Kevin, just in case he asks, you can definitely put him in touch with me as well. Congratulations, you're a national hero! :p;D
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Guys, I'm surprised nobody's asked already. But, how in God's name did you get planning permission for that thing? Here in the UK I'm sure you'd need to speak to the council and get permission to put something as big as that up!

It's a monstrosity, but probably worth it for you. I just feel sorry for all your neighbours ;D.

Oh and people, I don't suppose any Short-Media members would have noticed but the link to our forums at the end of the article is wrong. It is www.short-media.com/forums instead of http://www.short-media.com/forum. 4 million hits and we have an incorrect link to our forums :wtf:.

~Cyrix
    edited March 2006
    hahah holy smokes... Kevin, just in case he asks, you can definitely put him in touch with me as well. Congratulations, you're a national hero! :p;D

Maybe if i tell him you are my hero he will contact you too ... The hero of a hero is a hero too, no ? :rolleyes: hah

Man, i still can't believe it... Im still sleepy this morning and it feels unreal :nudge: lol
    edited March 2006
    Oops - my fault with the forums thing... dumbass me!
    edited March 2006
    Guys, I'm surprised nobody's asked already. But, how in God's name did you get planning permission for that thing? Here in the UK I'm sure you'd need to speak to the council and get permission to put something as big as that up!

It's a monstrosity, but probably worth it for you. I just feel sorry for all your neighbours ;D.

Oh and people, I don't suppose any Short-Media members would have noticed but the link to our forums at the end of the article is wrong. It is www.short-media.com/forums instead of http://www.short-media.com/forum. 4 million hits and we have an incorrect link to our forums :wtf:.

~Cyrix

OMG wrong link to the forum !!!! Bad keeb, bad keeb :hiding:

My tower is NOT a monstruosity, she's my baby, she's of beautiful symbol of engineering, isn't she ? All in a band new silvered color, it looks sexy ;D

Ok ok its not that great at looking ;D But that's behind a building and if you don't realy look at it you wont notice it from the street, if it was in a black color or something like that it would be visible from a long range for sure haha

And no, i don't need permit for that, here in quebec there is 'gouvernemental rules' and 'municipal rules', this kind of thing can be restricted only by 'municipal rules', there's no rules against that in my small city lol Maybe because im the first one to build a tower that high here ? :D If there is a vote for a law like that, i will mobilise everyone i know here (i know of lot of people) to vote against the law. And if its not enough, i'll buy a gun hahah nah but seriously i think im ok with everything :D

BTW, Some people around think the priest will rebuild the bell of the church and make the church even more higher, as i try to make competition to them.... as i try to reach god ;D hahah Joke yes, but it makes me laugh ;)