Normal ATX connector in +4 motherboard?

KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Guys, I'm just curious if it is possible to at least test a system using a normal ATX connector in a newer +4 motherboard. The parts for a new system arrived today, but the power supply appears to be DOA. Not one to sit around, I tested it in another computer and it didn't start either, so I have already sent it back to Newegg for RMA.

I would like to be able to test the rest of the system, though. All I have available are older power supplies without the +4 attachment on the ATX connector. Is it possible to use one of these just to see if the computer will power up? I would hate to have a DOA motherboard on top of the DOA PSU.

What if I took out the video card?

Thoughts welcome.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Let's make sure we are all on the same sheet of music. When you say "+4" are you referring to the 24-pin ATX motherboard plug versus the conventional 20-pin ATX plug? Just want to make sure, as many of the newer boards, in a addition to the 24-pin ATX plug, also have the newer EPS12v sockets, for the PSUs 'new style' 8-pin EPS12v plug. Which one are we talking about here?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    If you mean 24 pin ATX but you only have a 20 pinATX and 4 pin P4 it will work. But if you mean your old PSU does not have the 4 pin P4 connector it will not work.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited March 2006
    Yes, to clarify, I meant 24-pin ATX vs. 20-pin ATX. I was intent on testing the system using a power supply that has a 20-pin ATX connector AND a 4-pin AUX (Not really for P4's anymore) power cable.

So to be perfectly clear, there would be four empty receptors in the ATX socket, with the 20-pin connector plugged into the 24-receptor socket, and the 4-pin AUX/P4 connector plugged into the separate 4-receptor socket.

If I'm understanding you guys, this is acceptable at least as a temporary solution?

This motherboard does not have the new EPS12V 8-receptor socket. It only has a 24-receptor ATX socket and a 4-receptor AUX/P4 socket.
    edited March 2006
    Yes, i did it as well as lemonlime.
  • edited March 2006
    Give it a try. The worst that would happen is it would just fail to boot at all.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited March 2006
    Well, it didn't boot, but after further investigation, it would appear that my processor is missing a pin. The original PSU was burnt out, though, as it refused to power up a known-good system as well as my new one.

Oh, the joy of RMA... =[ So far I have had to RMA half of my Newegg order! They must hate me by now.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I'm sure it's more of an inconvenience to you than it is to Newegg. Hopefully the parts you get after RMA wind up being good.

The CPU was missing a pin!? That's really something.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I got a CPU from an eBay seller a couple weeks ago that was not only missing a pin, but had three or four others that were about to fall off. I promptly sent it back and was refunded my money. He was an honorable seller, just didn't know squat about computer hardware - rought 50% of computer parts sellers at eBay.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    Urgent question:

I have a new powersupply. I have an old motherboard. My powersupply has a 24 pin connector, while my board only has, surprise, 20 pins. Solution? Do I have to buy an adapter? Is there anything I can do until then?
    edited June 2006
    entropy wrote:
    Urgent question:

I have a new powersupply. I have an old motherboard. My powersupply has a 24 pin connector, while my board only has, surprise, 20 pins. Solution? Do I have to buy an adapter? Is there anything I can do until then?
    Yes an adapter is the only way. They are only about $7.00 so that's not too bad. ;)
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    Actually, I found the answer myself. Most of the apparently have an option to "disengage" the extra 4 pins - for example, mine just folded away from the rest of the plug. The four are NOT necessary - you should be able to plug any 24 into any 20, assuming you know which way to slide it over.

For the record, Antec P180 + Seasonic s12 500 = fantastic. I can barely hear this thing, and I haven't even started optimizing airflow and cutting fans.