SM6 - Signup Closed!

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited March 2006 in Folding@Home
Host One Of Our Early Rigs!
:celebrate SM6 Needs A New Home!!! :celebrate
:smokin:
The Host of SM6, citrixmeta, has decided that he needs to pass his rig on to a new Host. Folding as icrontic6, it is a Duron 1000 system. :wtf:

I should say that it was a Duron 1000 system. Since shipping this noble old warrior would cost nearly as much as it is worth he has offered the team a very generous price to just let the computer stay where it is and replace it with something with a little more oomph. As many of you have no doubt already noticed, Team 93 has recently embarked on a campaign to upgrade our lower-powered rigs. In keeping with that philosophy we are going to boost this computer up to a more modern level.

If you meet the qualifications for hosting one of our SMx machines, why not sign up to be a candidate? You could be the one chosen to house this Folding rig in your home, not to mention having that extra Folding sig to show off your status as one of Team 93's elite group of SMx Hosts.

The Hosting Requirements and Selection Process are available on the team page. Please look them over carefully before signing up.

If you feel you meet the requirements and are willing to sign the contract, announce your candidacy by posting in this thread and giving us some details about your hosting conditions (connection, environment, etc.) and your computer ability that would mark you as a suitable host for our latest SMx Folding machine.

Here's what Team 93 has assembled to replace SM6:
SM6 Specs:

Motherboard: Intel 845GV-ITE8712
CPU: 2.5GHz Celeron
Hard Drive: TBD
Display Adapter: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
Memory: 256MB PC2700 OCSystems
NIC: Realtek RTL8139 (Onboard)
Case: A brand new Case & PSU will be shipped directly to the new Host

If you happened upon this thread by accident and wonder what it is exactly that Folding hopes to accomplish, check out Join Folding for a quick summary of the F@H Project. Like many of us here, you could put your spare computer cycles to work for the betterment of mankind. Won't you consider joining us? :wave:

Sign up soon. We will give you plenty of notice before the signup period is closed and the SMx Committee vote is taken.

As per our new policy, there are no geographical limitations on hosting eligibilty.

Check out The SMx Project - Reloaded! thread for more information on the project in general. If you have any parts you could spare for future SMx rigs, go here and have a look at what we need. Memory (PC2100 or greater) and Motherboards are in extremely short supply. To keep this project going we need your help.

Good luck, everybody! :thumbsup::fold:

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I'll throw down :) I mean throw in :) I mean SM6 go!!!!!!!!!
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited March 2006
    ehh I cant really host anything for a longgg time. College is coming up in the fall and theres no use in lugging around 2 computers :(

Maybe in 4 years when I'm done with college I'll host one ;) For now, my computer is enough for me to handle.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    ehh I cant really host anything for a longgg time. College is coming up in the fall and theres no use in lugging around 2 computers :(

Maybe in 4 years when I'm done with college I'll host one ;) For now, my computer is enough for me to handle.

depending on your room situation, college is one of the best places to host... always on connection, "free" AC, you can store the computer away from where you sleep...
    edited March 2006
    I'm still not sure if my dorms are going to have ac or not. Im going to Ohio U, so its not like it will get really hot all year long. I live in pittsburgh now, and we pretty much have the same weather. It can get up into the 90's in the summer, but since im gonna be there from september - may it shouldn't be too much of a problem if i dont get AC.

also, im roooming with a good friend of mine, so the whole moving away part wont be as rough.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    This is gonna be nice folder.... I would jump in on this one but I cannot.... darn committee rules.:rant: Just kidding..

Really, this rig will be a nice stable Folder. Signup!!!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Woot for SM6.1!
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    I assume the winning candidate gets to keep the existing 34
    685 points? That's a sweet deal if ever I saw one.

Bump for a new and improved SM6, steeped in history and tradition.
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited March 2006
    Count me in!! :thumbsup: I'll throw my hat in or put my name in the hat...something with the hat?!?!?!:whatever:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Winga wrote:
    I assume the winning candidate gets to keep the existing 34
    685 points? That's a sweet deal if ever I saw one.

Bump for a new and improved SM6, steeped in history and tradition.
    Absolutely. This baby is already 2/3 of the way to the 50K Toaster. With the vastly improved hardware it's going to be party time before you know it. :D

Alrighty:

:fold: Sledgehammer70
    :fold: Buddha16

tmh88, you have several days to think it over if you change your mind. :)

Who else wants a piece of the action? :woowoo:
  • edited March 2006
    Hey prof, have you all actually tried the old TNT2 card out in that mobo or is it a pci card? I know that vid cards from that era can potentially fry a mobo if they are an old 2x AGP high voltage card.
    edited March 2006
    This is the Model 64 4X AGP card. 'Tis teh l337. :vimp:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    With a "honking" 32MB of VRAM! ;D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    May the best person win-- good luck, you two!!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    May the best person win-- good luck, you two!!
    What, you're not in this time? :scratch:
    edited March 2006
    ehh i was thinking about it, but i just think I'll hold off on hosting one for a little while. I mean i would really like to help the team out(not that the winner wont), but its just something else to tend to while in college. Guys, I'll definately put my name in later on down the road.

good luck to the winner, and thanks prof for considering me.
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited March 2006
    i'll throw my name in the hat for this bad boy!
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited March 2006
    Do you know, it's so tempting.....to have IC6 next to IC7......Mrs Crypto would go ape!!! I've got one port spare on my router.....no no I must resist.

I'll have to think about it..:smiles:

Edit:
    Just looked back...it's Intel based....so sad:eek:

No chance in Shoreham by Sea !!!!
    edited March 2006
    :fold: maximusbad

We have a few days left to sign up - anyone else interested in being an SMx Host? :)
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited March 2006
    As I look around my computer room, I find it is kinda empty. My router has spare ports, KVM has a spare port, room for more ATX cases. How can I remedy this? I know...

I would like to throw my number into the hat for the honor of hosting SMX 6!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Crypto wrote:
    Edit:
    Just looked back...it's Intel based....so sad:eek:

No chance in Shoreham by Sea !!!!

Oh don't count out those Intel's by any means. Mhz for mhz if you get folding double gromacs on that thing it will give AMD a run for it's money I can assure you! :thumbsup:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    And then there was FOUR!!! SM6 is gonna have a great host!!!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Looks like this is shapeing up to be a pretty good race!
  • Liquid81Liquid81 Westbrook,CT
    edited March 2006
    Word Gratski yo to the new hosteroni!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    if you get folding double gromacs on that thing it will give AMD a run for it's money I can assure you!
    If it gets Double Gromacs, it will compete fiercely. If it gets QMDs it will crush the competition. If it gets the garden variety Gromacs, it will be a fight to keep up! :bigggrin:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Anyone else interested in hosting this fine machine? We've already seen four fine candidates put their names in the hat... but we've got more than four more rigs planned for the future, that's for certain!
    edited March 2006
    There are just a few hours left before the signup period will be closed.

If you want in, now's the time to speak up! :rockon:
    edited March 2006
    Signup is now closed. Good luck, everybody!

:fold: maximusbad
    :fold: Donut

• Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited March 2006
    Good luck everyone!!:cheers:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited March 2006
    Best of luck to all!:fold:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian