Running two PCs off a cable modem...

LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
My sister wants to run her comp off my mother's cable line, we have two :D One's mine, the other is for her office. In any event...whats the better way to go, Router or Hub?

Is my understanding correct that with a Hub one computer needs to work as the "host" with a little mini-network setup and that a router just allows both computers to use the same device? Errr what? Not a networking guru...

Whats the difference in price with regular and wireless routers? Do you need a wireless nic then? Ejuhmuhkate me!

Linksys good brand, yes?

Comments

• EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    there is no host, just ICS type of network. A router is the easiest way. You don't need a hub unless you need more connections.

cable modem output -> router WAN port -> port 2-3-4 to computers.
    A 4 port router (wireless/wired) like the good deal below (I own one) gives you 3 wired available ports.

Linksys is excellent but nowadays they are all pretty good.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Okay, good stuff. The sis' machine is obviously gonna need a nic to plug into the router. There a difference in wired/wireless at the client side? How does that work?

Edit, answered my own question lookin around. Just a different nic. Thanks for the info!
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    When using a router there is no client/server just a LAN (Local Area Network).
    Yon can mix wireless and wired on the same LAN.
    Yeah, each computer nees a network card. Obviously, if you go wireless, you'll need a wireless NIC.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Router is the easiest way to go. I have a 4 port SMC router and it does just fine. I just had to type in my preferred dns and that was it. Oh and make sure each computer has a nic.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    Router is the most grief-free. It also acts like a switch, thereby maximizing the bandwidth for all your computers. You can get a (wired) Linksys Router w/ 4 ports for about 60 clams.

Prof
    (Loving my Linksys BFSR41):D
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I'm with profdlp-- I have my network set up on a Linksys 4port router and winXP sets it up auto for you. Love my Linksys. :cool:
  • dangeraarondangeraaron houston New
    edited June 2003
    yet another testament to the ease of set up for the lynksys.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2003
    Router is definitely the easiest and most trouble free method. If you plan to share a printer, I recommend getting a router with a print server built in. I LOVE MY SMC ROUTER/SWITCH/PRINTSERVER. :)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    MrBill said
    Router is definitely the easiest and most trouble free method. If you plan to share a printer, I recommend getting a router with a print server built in. I LOVE MY SMC ROUTER/SWITCH/PRINTSERVER. :)

My SMC also has the built in print server, but my printer is usb so it does me no good, but still a nice option.