OFFICIAL Stalker: Oblivion Lost Thread!

diabx0rdiabx0r The 7th layer of friggin' hell (Bastrop, TX)
edited September 2003 in Gaming
I am wondering first off, if we can get this stickied? This game is honestly going to have the biggest and bestest fear factor of any game EVER.

http://www.stalker-game.com <--- OFFICIAL SITE

http://www.icronticgames.com/index.php?location=2&&articleid=274 <---- 2003 preview interview and extensive photography.

http://www.oblivion-lost.com <---- AWESOME FAN SITE WITH LOTS OF INFO

Thanks a ton... more will be posted soon.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Il take the plunge and hit the button. This is one game along with half-life 2 .. that I am seriously looking forward to :)

It's gonna be the "sleeper" of the year I think. Kinda game not alot of press about.. but when it hits.. people are gonna saying "holy crap! what the hell is this!!? It's fricking awesome!"
  • SouriatSouriat Nottingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    Hmm never heard of this before, looks quite interesting ill have to keep an eye on it :)
    edited June 2003
    Check out the friggin screenies that Guru3d have! :eek:

Guru 3d Stalker page

Look at the lightmapping, shadowing and texturing!! If this plays as good as it looks, it's gonna be up there with HL2 for engine & gameplay.
    edited June 2003
    Very nice, i just know im going to have to buy a ton of upgrades for all these great looking games though, oh well damn worth it looking at all the E3 videos and pics that are around for things :)
    edited June 2003
    Definitely! My 9700pro looked at me with a not-so-smug grin this morning when I showed her those snapshots :cool:

< Off Topic > Dude.. love that avatar!! hahahahahahahaa < /Off Topic >
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I have a feeling my GF3 just isnt going to cut it anymore :(

NS
    edited June 2003
    Support for all D3D compatible accelerators, starting from 2nd generation (TNT/Voodo2/etc), optimized for Geforce2 and up.

The developers say that the X-Ray engine can work with it without struggling too hard. You won't have full detail but it will work ok :)
  • diabx0rdiabx0r The 7th layer of friggin' hell (Bastrop, TX)
    edited June 2003
    Shorty... The screenshots on the official page were all taken with a GF4 Mx 440.
    edited June 2003
    diabx0r said
    Shorty... The screenshots on the official page were all taken with a GF4 Mx 440.

Which says it all. Those screenies are immense. A game for not just GeForce FX/Radeon 9800pro owners ;)
  • LawnMMLawnMM
    wants a 9700 pro :)
    Colorado
    edited June 2003
    wants a 9700 pro :)
    edited June 2003
    Man... This game is going to be so awesome. And as I keep saying to everyone, it's not the graphics that's going to make it amazing. The physics, the AI... And most of all, the whole idea of which the game is based on.. The incident at Chornobyl sends all kinds of shivers down my spine. This game is going to keep my up at night... The screenshots alone give me goosebumps.
    edited June 2003
    HERE IS SOME INFO TAKEN FROM [url]HTTP://WWW.OBLIVION-LOST.COM[/url]

This is info about the incident at Cherbobyl:

Chernobyl - What caused the Nuclear Catastrophe?

The fatal experiment
    On the 25th of April 1986 there was an experiment to take place in the 4th block, in which the engineers and scientists wanted to check if the turbines could produce enough electricity for the power plant in case of a total failure of electricity to ensure the functioning of the emergency-cooling. To let the experiment take place under realistic conditions, the emergency programme "Average protection" was turned off, in which all the important security setups, e.g. the emergency-cooling and the retraction of the brake rods are included. The launch of the experiment, however, was postponed thus the unprepared night shift took on the carrying out of the experiment whose attempt-arrangement had made the reactor unprotected.

The accident
    Through an operating mistake of the inexperienced reactor-operator Leonid Toptunov, the performance of the reactor was extremely reduced just a few moments before the beginning of the experiment. To increase it, the operators removed the brake rods (which you can control the atomic chain reaction with) and total number of rods fell below allowed minimum limit of 28 rods. As a consequence, it was much more difficult to control the reactor.

In spite of this, the deputy chief engineer of the power plant, Anatolij Djatlov, ordered
    to start the experiment. Too many cooling-pumps were closed. Therefore, the reactor, which was working with little performance, couldn't evaporate the water. The water started boiling and the first hydraulic bangs could be heard. Akimov, the engineer in charge, and Toptunov wanted to stop the experiment, but Djatlov urged them. It was 1.22:30 am.

When the operators switched off the electricity and the turbines stopped supplying power to the water-pumps, again less cooling water was pumped through the reactor core. The water became hotter and reached the boiling temperature. Since the reactor can only be cooled adequately with enough evaporated water, its performance increased. It was 1.23:04 am.

At this point the average-protection would have kicked in and would have averted the catastrophe but it had been turned off. When Akimov noticed the mercurial performance boost of the reactor, he activated the average-protection manually at 1.23:40 am. All brake rods were retracted at once (over 200). But exactly at this point the RBMK-reactor hit its most serious construction failure: the retraction speed of the brake rods is extremely slow, much slower than the one of the West European countries. Besides there are graphite-spikes at the head of the brake rods which accelerate the chain reaction. The retraction of the brake rods, however, was supposed to stop the chain reaction. The security system of every nuclear power plant is based on this concept. The construction mistake led to the opposite. Because the graphite-spikes were inserted first, the performance was incredibly increased at his moment - the reactor that was out of control.

Unfortunately the heat had caused that the channels of the brake rods to warp and the brake rods got stuck in the reactor core. The graphite-spikes that accelerate the reaction were still inside the reactor. The catastrophe could not be averted at this point. In the active zone a chemical reaction took place of Zirconium and the steam. Hydrogen and Oxygen were created - Oxyhydrogen (detonating gas!).

At 1.23:50 am the whole reactor exploded and everything that surrounded it was obliterated. Most of the radioactive material was ejected outside. Everything started to catch fire, including houses that were in the neighbourhood. The firefighters prevented a bigger catastrophe.

In the following weeks over 30 men died because of the high radiation - including firefighters, the two operators Akimov and Toptunov, as well as other staff of the nuclear power plant.

So called "Liquidators" (Soldiers, students and volunteers) went to Chernobyl to decontaminate the power plant, to eliminate possible sources of danger that still existed and to alter the sarcophagus that encloses the already exploded 4th block. The number of people who helped there is between 600,000 and 1,200,000.
    Most of the victims died because of the late consequences - e.g. Cancer, "Chernobyl-AIDS", heart-circulation-problems and depression (suicide). From various point of views the number of victims ranges between 10,000 to 250,000! The real number will never be found out, because even today people in Europe, especially in Russia and Ukraine die from radiation related illnesses, especially cancer. There are also increases in infant mortality rate. The medical conditions of the children that grow up on the radiated land are terrifying. And these consequences will not only last for this generation.

Chernobyl is a catastrophe that will never end!

Just so those who don't know about it can get an idea about what the game is going to be about. The entire concept just scares the piss out of me.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited June 2003
    K I want it!!!

does anyone know when thatun will be released?
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    Holy Crap, I can't beleive this game got below my radar. This game looks awesome. Those screenies look amazing. Too bad my crap ass system won't cut it.
    edited June 2003
    I am glad we are attracting some new people.... This game is going to be freaking amazing.

I am starting to get VERY impatient.
  • edited July 2003
    think i might have to get a better graphics card just to do the game justice........
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    sumtimes i wish there was a smiley with hearts to show u pplz how much im in love with the game
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    Yup, that ought to give the ol' Voodoo 5 a workout...

Anyone know of any banks in the central VA area with lax security? I need an upgrade!

Prof
    (See my sig and jeer at me:rolleyes: )
  • TemplarTemplar You first.
    edited July 2003
    It would be cool if you could run the offline engine when the actual game is off as a service or something (the engine that controls NPC actions out of your 250m "bubble". It is seperate from the actual game engine that handles the graphics and perspective from the player). The game would evolve while you sleep, go outside or whatever.

You could setup a network based around cell phone network technology that updated us on our game events via PDA or cell phone (That would be.. wow.. amazing and hardcore)
    edited July 2003
    <3 Stalker.... <3 x 1000000

hehe

I can't wait.... *Shakes*
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited July 2003
    the engine looks so friggen smooth....

what is the game anyways..I never plaed any of the originals, so I don;t know the story
    edited July 2003
    Just downloaded and watched the trailer.. wow, looks damn nice lovesmile.gif .. i want this now :bawling:
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    agreed...the trailer is very nice. Hopefully the gameplay will hold up!
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    I saw someone mention HL2, which I'm assuming is Half-Life 2.

I'm not a big gamer. I do play Sim City, AOE, AOM and GTA-Vice City, but Vice City is for the PS2.

I don't keep on top of the new games, but I do know that Doom 3 is supposed to be a major advancement over what is available now.

My Question (keep in mind I'm not too "hip" on the high-end game scene): Is Half-Life 2 supposed to be in the same league as Doom 3, or perhaps even better? What do you guys think of the looks of this game? Better/Equal/Worse than Doom 3?
    edited July 2003
    They way i see it is doom 3 has got the best graphics and possibly a scary atmosphere, but other than that it looks like it would be a standard shoot everything no story style game (probably fun still though).

Whereas HL2, graphics still very nice but not quite as good as doom, will have all the nice story stuff, great looking physics and some nice interactivity. (hell i still love the part in the trailer, where using the 'picky up' gun they turn to a sign and rip a letter off it and then fires it at the enemy :))
  • LIQuidLIQuid Raleigh, NC
    edited August 2003
    daaaamn, i already know im gonna be scared as **** playing this game
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited August 2003
    There have been some recent tech demos released for this sweet looking game. You can check them out here:

http://www.gamershell.com/news_bSTALKERbTechDemoMoviesP.shtml
  • edited September 2003
    If you were ever to step into Oleg Yavorsky’s world you might end up being a frightened shell of the person you was before, you see Oleg’s world tells the story of Chernobyl and radioactivity, and lots and lots of mutant enemies. Fortunately for us, Oleg’s World is “Game World” the team behind the THQ game “STALKER: Oblivion Lost” That’s suddenly taken the computer game industry by storm.

www.icronticgames.com
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited September 2003
    Read about this game in one of my PC Gamer Magazines... Thought it sounded pretty cool then, and I knew I'd be wanting to get it when it hit the shelves... :)

So far my list has Stalker, HL2, Doom3, Halo, Tron 2.0, and Jedi Academy... Just hope I can scrounge up enough cash to feed my habit... :)