*sigh*

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited March 2006 in Internet & Media
Went to check on my Amiga forum the other day, nice to see that it had been hacked and destroyed by "Warrior Hackers for Islam". So, managed to find a backup and restored the software and the database and carried on. 2 days later "Hacked by Turkish Hackers!" *sigh* destroyed and redirecting to another site, again. Ok, so the software is a little old (last free version of invision) but... christ sake.

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited March 2006
    I play for a CoD2 clan and our site has been destroyed by turkish hackers twice in the last few months. Are we impressed by their prowess? no, do we think they are a bunch of idiots? why yes, yes we do. Petty minded fools.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    You might want to try another free forum...I know that the backed up data is something you'd like to keep, but chances are you're going to run into this problem unless you do a nice little IP ban of their range of IPs for the entire site, not just the forums. That will probably prevent this from happening again.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    You might want to try another free forum...I know that the backed up data is something you'd like to keep, but chances are you're going to run into this problem unless you do a nice little IP ban of their range of IPs for the entire site, not just the forums. That will probably prevent this from happening again.

They are most likely using random proxies so banning IPs wouldn't have any effect what-so-ever. The only decent free forums I'm aware of now are phpBB and YaBB. YaBB is well, crap IMHO and phpBB takes hours to install a single new feature as it comes with most things that forums normally need missing. :( Oh well, I'll just scrap it to be honest, not worth the effort.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Stay away from phpBB at all costs. It's notorious for being exploited on a regular basis. Unfortunately it looks like you're gonna have to pay to get a secure BB. :(
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited March 2006
    what about FUDforum? http://fudforum.org/forum/
    edited March 2006
    FUD is a possibility but I'm kinda thinking it's not worth the effort. Too many *******s to have to try and fend off. Hell, Icrontic was running VB when that was hacked so paying doesn't mean I'm likely to have something that will be much better at the added disadvantage of it also costing money, heh. Yeah, I think the trash can will be the new host.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Back then, the old icrontic was hacked via a remote exploit, not a vb exploit. They delete the db at the shell level. The site was running on a very unpatched, very old linux (iirc, it was red hat 7 or 6). So, it doesn't matter what software the site was running - the server was what got pwned.
    edited March 2006
    I've personally used WoltLabs forum system, the free version, and find it to be very nice and they have a very active community surrounding the board. The paid version (v2) is great for the money (I'm pretty sure it's less than $20).
    edited March 2006
    I have no intention of paying for forum software, as I said. I've binned the forum now anyway, the site was dead and the only activity the forum got was spam. I'm done with the website side of stuff now.
    edited March 2006
    Sounds good, sorry things didn't work out.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited March 2006
    I remember a few months back snapple's website was hacked. When you clicked on any of the navagation links for the site the hackers site would pop up saying that they hacked it.