MySQL errors for what it seems all phpbb based forums except the original

My clan is getting really frustrated with all the mysql/php errors that we are encountering. They wanted me to use the old backup of a phpnuke platinum 7.6, so I uploaded it and I created the database and I recieved nice little error messages saying you cannot open or connect to this file directly, so I played around with it I got some of the pages to work after changing some code that was suggested by a couple of websites, but then I keep getting it on some pages. So I decided to upload a fresh copy of the phpnuke platinum 7.6 and well the first thing I notice is a blank index page so I go to the admin page and sign in as the super user and well that's strange "ACCESS DENIED" so I keep trying installs of that version and phpnuke platinum 7.6.b.4 and that kind of works but I still recieve SQL errors even on a fresh install.

So I scrap the project and move onto IntegraMod 1.4 fresh install and I recieve SQL errors talking about a column was not found that exsisted. So I install it on my webhost that worked along time ago (version 1.4 and 1.3.2) and they all get simular errors. Now what I am starting to think is that none of these Free programs are compatible with php5 or mysql5.

I run on my website Vbulletin so of course I don't have any problems except for a support ticket link in the NavBar that takes you to a none exsistant page if you click on it from the main vbadvanced page but if you connect to it from the forums page it works.

But the clan does not want to drop $160 for the sweetness of vbulletin because of the $310+ bill we have for our dedicated game server. They want a solution to the problem I keep pitching the vbulletin because the chances of it working are extremely high since well you get what you pay for.

So I was wondering if there is a way that I can convince them to no hands down purchase vbulletin without the clan leader getting mad about it saying we don't have the money, etc.

If the Short-Media community can help form up something so powerful that he can't refuse along with anyone in the clan. I just wish that the IMEX would convert integramod users post, groups, etc over to vbulletin, we have had to start over with registration processes about 7 times now, and I don't know if they can take it any more.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    my recommendation for vbulletin:

Not only do I run a hosting company which hosts dozens of VB boards that work flawlessly, but I run three vb-based sites myself that are rock solid, one of which is quite large ;)

As you said, you get what you pay for.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited March 2006
    I have no php experience and though I didn't do the install of vbulletin on my site, it seems "fairly simple" but has a lot of features. I can't think of anything that doesn't work the way it's expected to.

I have nothing to compare vbulletin to, but I would recommend it. :)
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2006
    setup a new forum then override the new one with the old ones directory that way it will configure mysql for you and everything it doesnt setup you can do manualy in phpmyadmin :).

Btw if your on a debian server just type in dpkg-reconfigure phpbb2 and it will repair everything :).
  • edited March 2006
    I run vbulletin myself but they this is what I have been told. If we can't get organized with this then why should we spend $160 on vbulletin. Of course I am like huh, vbulletin is organization, etc. What I am asking is how can I put something together to tell him that vbulletin surpasses anything out there.

Some of the guys think it is a wast of money(why not get a free one)
    Only con is the price tag.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Absolutely.

The problem you sound like you are having is either a poorly configured server (yes even pro hosts can screw it up) or you aren't chmoding or permissioning key files on the install correctly.

Who is the host and more clarification on error messages would help us to help you :)

I would still say go with VBulletin. It's just professional, very security rich & has constant development & improvement :)
  • edited April 2006
    I CHMOD'ed everything correctly, the webhost they are using is Dreamhost. Not the most user friendly but they are ok. My webhost well I never had problems before and they work perfectly just with they game me a little more than 5GB, maybe 20GB like dreamhost, but I have never had any major problems except for the unsupected hard drive failure a while back.

Is there something out their that I can use to configure or check and see what php.ini file the website is using. I did the test install for vbulletin and well of course that works, everything but magic_quotes_gpc wokrs

PHP 4.4.2
    MySQL 5.0.18-standard-log

The chances of hour site being hacked is slim to none because they will probably get an error or something won't work. All this stuff used to work like a charm I don't know what's going on with the phpbb stuff.:headbange
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Put this into a PHP file..

[php]
    <php?

phpinfo();

?>
    [/php]
    and access over the internet :)

Also, what do you mean magic_quotes_gpc does not work..? I wouldn't recommend using that. Escape your own code :)