Horrible Performance w/ Pentium D and X850XT

fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Pentium D 820
PCI-Express X850XT
1024MB Corsair 5400
MSI 945P Neo-F Motherboard

I did a complete format and fresh install of windows to try and solve the problem, but it didnt solve anything. Even when I set everything to "performance" in Catalyst Control Center, I am getting around 60 frames a second in Counter Strike Source Stress Test! I was getting around 100 on my old overclocked athlon xp system with a GeForce 6800 128MB.

Windows is running great, though. Boots up quick and just feels responsive in general. So I'm guessing this is just a Video Card problem.

There has got to be some little setting in bios that I am missing. Ive been playing around in the Catalyst Control Center and nothing seems to give me great gains in performance.

Anyone know of what I can do?

Comments

• fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited April 2006
    Actually, it looks like my processor may be the problem. What is going on???
    edited April 2006
    I just lowered my fsb and vcore to default and my framerate jumped back up to 130 fps... weird. Why would my framerate lower with when my FSB increases???
  • rykoryko new york
    edited April 2006
    wow....that's really wierd. motherboard issue maybe? maybe try a BIOS flash?

where in upstate NY are you? i am in rockland county.
    edited April 2006
    Bios is updated to most current.

I live in South Glens Falls.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    Thats really weird.. Check in the BIOS to ensure that L2 and L1 cache is enabled.. something is really murdering your CPU performance..
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Unless you've got overheating problems, boosting FSB should not hurt frame rates at all. If anything, FPS should go up. What is your system temperature? Wanna bet your northbridge is getting too hot? Open your case and put your finger on the northbridge heatsink. Is it more than just warm? If yes, I recommend you install a northbridge fan. Also, if you haven't already done so, pull the northbridge sink, remove the white silicon thremal paste and apply something quality. The northbridges on all the socket 775 boards I've used get way too warm for high performance settings. Against my normal procedures (pre-Smithfield adoption) I've installed northbridge heatsinks on all my Socket 775 boards. In every 775 build, this has boosted stability and performance.

Also, I noticed your CPU vCore was at 1.475. Why so high? Set it to auto in the BIOS. Even at an OC of 3.7GHz (900MHz over stock), I don't set the vCore higher than 1.425, indicated 1.36 - 1.38 under full load.
    edited April 2006
    I just touched the northbridge, and while I can leave my finger on it comfortably, it certainly isnt cool. Id say its kinda hot.

I had the vcore that high because anythign below that Winamp seemed to crash on me. I will set it to auto, though.

Is there any kind of thermal control for the CPU that I should turn off? I havnt noticed any thermal throttling or anythign that would change the clock speed.
    edited April 2006
    Yes, there are thermal controls. Turn them off! But ensure you monitor CPU and system temperatures. 60*C CPU core is the upper limit for overclocking, but should not be a problem at all for stock settings (2.8GHz/core).

I don't understand what CPU vCore would have to do with WinAmp. What are using WinAmp to do? Overclocking the video card? Sorry, but it's been years since I even tried WinAmp.

What CPU heatsink are you using? Also, your PSU - brand, rating? Do you have all 8 pin positions occupied on the EPS12v connector? Do you have the 4-pin molex connector on the board plugged in? The MSI 945P Neo-F is a very well made, stable board. Assuming supplied voltages are healthy, temperatures are under control, and all the correct board and video drivers are installed correctly, you should be able to run anything you want on your board even up to 3.5GHz.
    edited May 2006
    Fudgam, give us an update, man. How are things going?