Suse Linux 9.3 install problems with nforce IDE chipset

fvsfvs
edited April 2006 in Science & Tech
I'm really stuck with this problem, I've been trying to install Suse 9.3 all day without sucess, every time I boot into install options, which I have tried each of, It takes me to an message that says it can't find my CD drive,
I've tried booting "insmod=ide-generic" and still can't recognize CD drive, Any help would be appreciated.

Biostar TForce 6100
processor AMD 2800 64 bit
CD Hitaci DVD/CD
HD 20 Gig WD
OS Win XP

Comments

• fvsfvs
    edited April 2006
    I've gotting past the first installation and when it reboots,
    I get this a prompt at the last line waiting for a command,
    What command do I enter?

waiting for device /dev/hda1 to appear not found
    can't access tty
    $_

AMD/Sempron 64
    Biostar TForce6100
    1 gig ram (Corsar)
    20 gig HD WD
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Are you sure all of your hardware is good? Tested the hard drive, motherboard, ram, etc.? What's the history of the hardware?
  • fvsfvs
    edited April 2006
    Are you sure all of your hardware is good? Tested the hard drive, motherboard, ram, etc.? What's the history of the hardware?
    It's new and is working fully with Win XP, I have had Mepis Distro installed also, but can't get Suse 9.3 going? I'll wait to get Fedora and see if that installs. Thanks for reply, good to see that we can rely on each other.
    Thanks again, fvs:wink:
    edited April 2006
    okay good, so at least we know it's something specific with SuSe. :)

It might be an IDE controller issue - what chipset does that motherboard use?
  • fvsfvs
    edited April 2006
    Nvida, I downloaded all drivers from CD that was supplied by Biostar that came with my motherboard. Thanks Prim.
    edited April 2006
    I'm gonna let someone with more Suse experience take over, because I don't know if there are any specific issues with suse + nforce drivers.
  • fvsfvs
    edited April 2006
    Thanks
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I'm not sure how much Linux experience you have so forgive some of the 'duh!' stuff.

How are your IDE chains are laid out, which devices are master and slave on which channel? How are your hard drives partitioned? Does your fstab correctly identify your partitions?

What kernel version are you using? Are you using udev or devfsd to manage your device nodes? Does your dev daemon start properly?

Just trying to get a starting point.

-drasnor :fold:
  • fvsfvs
    edited April 2006
    Hi drasor, I gave up on Suse 9.1 and got Fedora Core 5 and installed it, However
    I can't see my cusor on the desktop, But it highlights the menu's when I move around? I can't believe the problems that I have encounted with trying to get linux to work with this new build. I have Win XP partioned and that works floorless, Do you have any experience with Fedoria? if so how can I resore the
    cusor, BTW I did a reinstall twice. Thanks for your interest. fvs
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    The only thing I'm coming up with is to check your nVidia binary driver version, you may need to update to get proper GLX support for your card.

-drasnor :fold:
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited April 2006
    The latest Suse is 10.0 which is much better, that is something to try.