Best Games Now and To Come?

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited April 2006 in Gaming
I thought it'd be good for us to have a list of the best games out right now in the most popular categories, especially for people like me, who the last game they bought was tribes 2, and im still plaing D2 LOD, and SC, along with tribes a lot.

Although, I am thinking really hard about getting a new computer once am2 comes out, so I want to get into gaming again so that I can start having some fun again. This doesnt have to be an objective list, just what you personally like and why. as for the categories, im thinking, mmorpg, fps, and others.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Abbreviations are killing me. English please! What is AM2? D2 LOD? SC? HUH?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    AM2 - New socket and platform for amd, they had to change the name because of some kinda intelectual propery rights or something, I guess the name was already used and the company wanted royalties to use the name and amd said to hell with that.

D2 LoD is Diablo 2, lord of destruction expansion pack

sc is starcraft.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Games I've enjoyed recently or were seriously recommended by friends

F.E.A.R.
    Oblivion
    The Godfather
    Civ IV
    GUN <-- Frustrating at times but the Wild West is fun to mess with
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    America's Army

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm looking at playing some older classics soon, like Operation Flashpoint.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Titan Quest seems to be pretty D2-esque.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I hate 3D strategy games... if they ever come out with diablo III it better not be full 3D, but D2 style with better appearance and resolution.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I think it would be bad marketting for anyone to release a game that uses 2d sprites. live-rendered 3d game elements are a permanent fixture in gaming.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    No... 2D Sprites are the future man! Sorryf or the thread crap, now for my actual responce..

Eve Online is the most awsome game evar. Half Life 2 is always fun.... been thinking of gettin in some Star Craft time too.
    edited April 2006
    IMO:

Oblivion is the best RPG, right now.

Dungeon Seige 2 is the neatest dungeon crawl around.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is the best tactics game out right now.

Civ 4 is the best strategy game for single or multi-player.

Guild Wars is the best MMORPG (mostly due to the price).

Grand Theft Auto 2 has been the best LAN party game for many years. Soldat and Liquid Wars 5 are also pretty sweet (The Nexlia LAN parties get kind-of 'old school')

Unreal Tournament 2004 is a pretty good FPS, if you're into that sort of rot.

Is that all the genres?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    FPS: Quake 2.
    Dungeon Crawler: Dungeon Siege II
    3D RTS: Oblivion
    RTS: Starcraft
    LAN: GTA2 or Worms Armageddon
    MMO: World of Warcraft
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    imo, the best fps ever = cs 1.6/source
  • edited April 2006
    Well, these are the games that l like,

On the PC, (Have):
    Starcraft
    Battlefront 2
    Unreal Tournament 2004

Want:
    Call of Duty 2
    Oblivion
    SpellForce 2

And On Console (GameCube) (Have):
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (I love the story line)
    Super Smash Bros. Melee

Want:
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • dawinnerdawinner Osgood, OH
    edited April 2006
    Need For Speed: Most Wanted
    Age Of Empires III
    D2: LOD
    Counter Strike (unfortunatly not sorce)
    and all the games that sound fun at the time on: www.addictinggames.com
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2006
    I like F.E.A.R, CoD2, HL2 and the new Tomb Raider.
    Don't like 2D role play and have never played a MMOG. I seem to always abandon any game the uses 'spells'.
    What I'd like in the future is more of the same really, I like exploration and puzzles.
  • edited April 2006
    UT2K4 (or 7) HL2DM, and the new Half life 2 chapters AND SiN chapters coming next month over steam!
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited April 2006
    Think I'm gonna give Galactic Civilizations II a try.

The review I read on gamespy.com, it says the AI on this game is unreal.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Oblivion
    Battle For Middle Earth 2
    AOE 3 "kind of"
    Battlefield 2
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited April 2006
    Oblivion and Half-Life 2 are an absolute "must play"
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited April 2006
    Just bought Oblivion and will be trying it out tonight once it finishes downloading (bought it at direct2drive.com).

Other games I play are City of Heroes/Villians and Red Orchestra

RO is a WW2 shooter that is heavy on realism, I prefer it over Day of Defeat: Source at the moment.

www.redorchestragame.com
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited April 2006
    DoD - 1.3
    CS: Source
    Postal 2 (never gets old)
    edited April 2006
    I'm gonna give oblivion a try, epspecially since its a RTS/RPG, should keep me busy for awhile, and at $50 a pop, I expect it. Time to give my 6800GT a workout. hopefully my A64 2800 on a socket 754 can keep up :/

Im getting more than a little peturbed at ign's "download manager" more like bloat ware. I just want a link to the zip damnit, I can manage my own downloads.:bs: not to mention that it isnt even working, it says my request is expired. and after paying $50 i have to wait in a "line" hah, customer service for ya. Maybe i could go to eb games and get it faster.:O

EDIT:

Good news, only 3 HOURS left to download on my 5 MEG CABLE CONNECTION I feel sorry for the poor sucker on aDSL or Dial Up, foget about it..
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited April 2006
    I don't think Oblivion is an any way a RTS (Real-Time Strategy). Technically it's a single-player RPG with real-time battle in first or third-person view. As far as Oblivion keeping you busy... the main quest is supposed to take around 25 hours, and if play ALL of the other quests and explore the whole world you're looking at multiple hundreds of hours! :hair:
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited April 2006
    To Come:
    Final Fantasy VII for the PS2
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2006
    I'm gonna give oblivion a try, epspecially since its a RTS/RPG, should keep me busy for awhile, and at $50 a pop, I expect it. Time to give my 6800GT a workout. hopefully my A64 2800 on a socket 754 can keep up :/

Im getting more than a little peturbed at ign's "download manager" more like bloat ware. I just want a link to the zip damnit, I can manage my own downloads.:bs: not to mention that it isnt even working, it says my request is expired. and after paying $50 i have to wait in a "line" hah, customer service for ya. Maybe i could go to eb games and get it faster.:O

EDIT:

Good news, only 3 HOURS left to download on my 5 MEG CABLE CONNECTION I feel sorry for the poor sucker on aDSL or Dial Up, foget about it..

You do realise adsl is superior (Assuming your speaking of modren g.dmt not g.lite) you can pull well over 8mbits down and 1mbit up if your isp allows. Also unlike cable adsl connections typicly have far lower ping. [/rant]

edit: Btw oblvion rocks
    edited April 2006
    yeh, but the only adsl around here peaks out a 1.5 per sbc's spec's, and my cable conection usually stays between 2.5-3.5 I want Fiber internet, the Fios that verizon has, that would be nice. But around here the cable conection is superior to the aDSL unless you buy the business package for several hundred a month. this probably isnt true for all places, especially because cables speed goes down with the ammount of users on it, so in heavily populated areas, im sure it sucks, but here with not a whole lot of traffic, I love my cable conection and would never switch to aDSL.

Im about to install oblivion, and then go to work until 10, go to be, got back to school in the morning, go to work tomorow RIGHT after school, come home at 9:30, and proceed to delve into fantasy. and im glad, cause i asked off all weekend.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    to come

Spore

been looking at that game for a while now, can't wait till it's released!!!

http://www.spore.com/
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I keep hearing about Spore as well, and can only imagine what it'll look like once complete. Are there any other screenshots or videos of the game other than the 4 on their website? :-/
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited April 2006
    Yeah Spore looks really good! There is a Spore video on Google Video with Will Wright explaining everything and showing how it works. It looks good, you start out as a single cell organism, and go so far as to rule the universe. Check it out!
    edited April 2006
    If we're including ghostware titles, then we can't forget Duke Nukem: Forever...
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited April 2006
    I never got into hl2 dm....Just gets old fast. I like having an objective, even if its as simple as planting a bomb or getting hostages, not just killing people. (unless its slayer on halo or halo 2.....which i forgot to mention are the 2 best console games ever)