Oblivion tips and tricks (possible spoilers)

Comments

• deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited April 2006
    Chameleon:

I'd read about this on the official forums but I finally got a chance to try it last night.... if you want the game to have any kind of difficulty at all stay away from chameleon. Once you get 100% chameleon you're effectively invisible no matter what you do. You can hit people, get the sneak attack bonus with every hit, and they won't be able hit you back because they can't see you. At the moment I've got the ring of shadows (25%) a custom amulet (amulet of seethroughiness - 25%) custom gauntlets (jazz hands - 30%) and custom helmet (helmet of hidden dangers - 30%) made from sigil stones. Since I got above 100% chameleon I haven't been hit by anything. I've done 7 dark brotherhood missions and 3 oblivion gates without so much as scratching my armour. As you can imagine this makes the game a little easy.
    edited April 2006
    So, in order of effectiveness here's what I try to get, enchantment wise.

Chameleon (clothing / armour / jewellery)- As discussed above, the game becomes a bit of a walkthrough once your chameleon goes above 100%

Absorb health (weapon) - If you don't want to go the chameleon route a good absorb health weapon is a real deal maker. I've extolled the virtues of this enchantment before, but I can't stress enough how good it is. Keep it charged up and you can come out of every fight withh 100% health. Which is nice.

Soultrap (weapon) - Finding Umbra is a good way to get hold of a soultrap weapon. killing something while it has soultrap cast on it will trap the creatures soul in an available soulgem in your inventory. You can then use the soulgem to recharge your enchanted weapon.

Sheild (armour / jewellery) - like the name says, sheild acts as a shield. Stack up various bits of armour with this enchantment on and watch your armour rating go through the roof. I currently have 2 pieces enchanted with shield (a 10% and a 12%) and my armour rating goes up by about 20 when I put them on.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Erm... yesterday I finally got my mysticism skill up above 25, so I can cast soultrap. One of the loading screen tips states that you can soultrap your own summoned creatures. Basically, I can refill all my charged weapons for free by summoning a creature, soul trapping it, killing it and using the soul.

Here's a handy tip for being able to do that for "free":
    If you do the quest for the shrine of Azura, she gives you Azura's star, which acts as a soul gem that is infinitely refillable. Coupled with the summoning/soul trap combo, you can basically recharge your weapons as much as you want for free.
  • edited April 2006
    If you don't have enough money to buy stuff then i have a spoiler for you that will allow you to max out on your money.

WARNING: when i first did this i thought it was really cool. As i played the game I didn't have fun because I could always buy what I wanted so I went way back before I got the money. The second Time I only collected like 200 thousand which will run out eventually but also allows you to buy some pretty sweet stuff (and bribe a lot of people :bigggrin: ).

Spoiler: Go to the Talos District in the Imperial City. Then find Dorians house on the map. Break into his house and then max out his disposition. Next attack him until he runs out of his house. Once he has left his house run and go into his basement. If you have done this right Dorian will appear in the basement with you. Kill him then take everything he has but his gold. Next flip through the different pages on his bodey until you find the one with all the gold. If you have done this right you will take the gold but the amount will remain on his body. Basically he is carring an unlimited amount of gold on his body but you can only take it off 100 pieces at a time. I recomend saving before you do this incase it doesnt work or you regret taking too much money and want to go back.
  • conditionsconditions Wrexham
    edited April 2006
    how do you become a vampire i cant find one eney where and that dude in the darkbrothood is died can you tell me where to find some vampires
    edited April 2006
    The best way is to get into combat with a vampire, any vampire. They tend to hang out in tombs. When you're fighting them get up close and they should start to hit you... at some point you'll see a notice on screen saying 'you have contracted haemophilia' or something. Wait 3 game days after that and you should be a vampire. If you can't find a vampire there's one as a part of the 'gray prince' quest. To start this quest go to the Arena, into the bloodworks and talk to the Orc there who's practicing. He'll give you a quest to do which involves his father. Once you get to the fort his father is in, look around a bit... there's some vampires in there who'll happily smack you around a bit. Hope this helps.
  • edited April 2006
    deicist wrote:
    The best way is to get into combat with a vampire, any vampire. They tend to hang out in tombs. When you're fighting them get up close and they should start to hit you... at some point you'll see a notice on screen saying 'you have contracted haemophilia' or something. Wait 3 game days after that and you should be a vampire. If you can't find a vampire there's one as a part of the 'gray prince' quest. To start this quest go to the Arena, into the bloodworks and talk to the Orc there who's practicing. He'll give you a quest to do which involves his father. Once you get to the fort his father is in, look around a bit... there's some vampires in there who'll happily smack you around a bit. Hope this helps.

I have found one of the Grand Soul Gems, but now I need 4 more. Where are they located. I do not like the vampire thing. It is kind of cool picking locks, sneaking in and sucking blood, but I am ready to move on. Oh, if you do become a vampire do not try sneaking into the the guards barracks and sucking their blood. You will feed, but you will get caught and go to jail. Anyway, any help on those other soul gems would be great.
    edited April 2006
    4 grand soul gems? I'm guessing you need them to get De-Vamped? I've not actually been a vampire, so not done the quest to remove vampirism sorry...but soul gems (even grand ones) can be found in all sorts of places. I've found several of them in various bits of oblivion, in several caves and tombs.... basically just look everywhere. As long as your level is high enough they'll randomly spawn in crates and boxes.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    You can find grand soul gems laying about in the various mages guilds too. Or you can steal them from locked display cases in magic shops.
    edited April 2006
    Not really a spoiler this one, just a fun thing to do. The developers left in a 'testing hall' full of every item in the game and loads of different testing rooms. There's a room with one of every creature in the game fighting it out, one with every weapon in game etc... the hall isn't connected to the rest of the game map but you can get there by typing 'player.coc testinghall' from the console.
  • manicmushroommanicmushroom essex, under a giant raincloud
    edited April 2006
    i dont consider any of this spoiler, but anyone who likes to moan about such things, propbably shouldnt read this forum anyway...

by far the best way to make money (sans glitch) for me is stealing. do the dark brotherhood and theives guild quests you can get REAl good at sneak and security. also gets you some pretty narly armour, weapons, horsies, whatever - do the bonuses!

Anyway, making money. between 1 and 6 (am) most people r asleep. heres where all that funky sneak skill comes in handy. i made 2000 gold in about 1 hour (real time, not game time) from stealing from shops. best are those around imperial city. you need to be in the theifs guild though because people instintively know your stuffs stolen, and guards random theivery senses mean they take it all away if your caught with it on you. only to theif guild fenses can you sell stolen stuff.

on the subject of vampires, the easiest way to become one is do the db quests. after a while you can make it happen (ill say no more...). for being a theif being a vampire is the best cause of detect life - keep an eye on victims asleep upstairs while you rob them downstairs.

at lvl 11 after so many theif and db quests, my sneaks so high i can attack then sneak back into a shadow and enemies lose sight of me, so i always get x3 sneak attack bonus with my bow DRYLEAFSBANE (dwarven, + 30 fire dmg).

final note- join the mages guild and get into arcane uni. you can steal as many soul gems as you want from them, and then enchant things to your hearts content.

wow i said alot... i havent even started the main quest yet
    edited April 2006
    Something I noticed last night, was wondering if anyone could enlighten me: At the temple where Martin Septim is staying during most of the main quest, if you stand at the main entrance (outside the actual temple, not in the courtyard) and look off to the left, in the distance on the side of the mountain you can see a set of steps. If you hike over there it's what seems to be an altar or something just stuck randomly in the side of the mountain...there's a chest with a wolf pelt and a small amount of gold but nothing else. Is this part of a quest I haven't done yet?

Oh, and a little warning... be careful what you steal! When I first joined the Thieves guild and was looking to make some cash so I could advance I noticed that I had the keys to castle lleyawin in my inventory (think I got them during the dark brotherhood mission where you have to kill someone in lleyawin...) so I decided to nick loads of stuff from the castle. Including the contents of the countess' jewellery box. Which I then fenced to the Nordic dude in Bruma. Later in the thieves guild quests I have to recover a ring which, it turns out, is (or was) in that very same jewellery box. I've been back to the guy in Bruma but he no longer has the ring (or at least it doesn't show up in his inventory) so I'm a little stuck :(
  • edited April 2006
    Great thread. It inspired me to start again because i had used several cheats before. I finished the Dark Brotherhood quests and have joined the Mage's Guild.

I just wanted to know if you could give me a more detailed explination of where Umbra is?( Drrection from Imperial City and Ruins/Cavern name) I have looked in all the ruins and caverns near Imperial City and can't find it.

Oh yeah, is Chrysmere (can't remember how to spell it) also in oblivion?
  • edited April 2006
    deicist wrote:
    Oh, and a little warning... be careful what you steal! When I first joined the Thieves guild and was looking to make some cash so I could advance I noticed that I had the keys to castle lleyawin in my inventory (think I got them during the dark brotherhood mission where you have to kill someone in lleyawin...) so I decided to nick loads of stuff from the castle. Including the contents of the countess' jewellery box. Which I then fenced to the Nordic dude in Bruma. Later in the thieves guild quests I have to recover a ring which, it turns out, is (or was) in that very same jewellery box. I've been back to the guy in Bruma but he no longer has the ring (or at least it doesn't show up in his inventory) so I'm a little stuck :(

Save it and then kill him, unless you already tried that...Other than that try to pickpocket him or search his home maybe in like chests and boxes.
    edited April 2006
    ulag-mor wrote:
    I just wanted to know if you could give me a more detailed explination of where Umbra is?( Drrection from Imperial City and Ruins/Cavern name) I have looked in all the ruins and caverns near Imperial City and can't find it.
    Thrax wrote:
    Thought I'd give a clarification to Deicist's post.
    At roughly level 13, you can get the fabled Umbra sword and a full suit of Ebony Armor from a woman concealed quite nimbly within the shadows of a dungeon called Vindasel (Southwest of Lakefront, ~7 o'clock on the road)..

I'm not 100% sure Umbra is levelled like everything else in the game, although Thrax said level 13 there I'm pretty sure I found Umbra long before that, something like level 8, which would seem to show that it's not levelled. I could be remembering it wrong though :) anyway, by Lakefront I think he means the waterfront district of the imperial city.
    edited April 2006
    Just found a cool interactive map, by clicking the various icons at the top you can show / hide the various shrines / forts etc...

linky

ulag-mor: If you click the ayelid ruins icon filter above the map and look just below and to the left of the imperial city you'll see a place called vindesal, Umbra is lurking in there.
    edited April 2006
    Deicist: You can pickpocket it from the Countess. Did you steal the ring when she was sleeping? There were two "fake" rings in there when I tried it. The real one is called "A....'s Keepsake" (I forgot her name already). There was some sort of brass jade ring and another ring in that jewelry box when I stole from it. If she's not sleeping next to it, the ring is on her person. It's only in the box when she's in bed.
    edited April 2006
    Ah.... cheers for that little tidbit. The actual problem I'm having is that my Journal is telling me I need to speak to the countess' handmaiden, but she's nowhere to be found. If I go to the marker on my map I find a horse wandering on it's own in between leyawin and Bravil but no hadnmaiden. I assumed that this was a bug due to my earlier pilfering but I'll try pickpocketing instead....
    edited April 2006
    The handmaiden is almost always with the countess :eek3:

Any given time during the day, the count, countess, and handmaiden are milling around in the throne room..
    edited April 2006
    Aye, well she's not there whenever I go to the castle.... and the marker shows me she's somewhere off in the wilderness. Maybe it's not the handmaiden I'm thinking of, but I'm pretty sure it is.
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited April 2006
    deicist wrote:
    I thought if you fed every night that the 'bad' effects of vampirism were negated, it's only if you don't feed that the sunlight damage comes into play and your appearance changes.

Also, once you can afford it, you can purchase a house in Skingrad. When you go to pick out your furnishings, you can also hire a maid who will move in to your house to tidy things up and cook for you.

If you are a vamp, you now have a built-in meal ticket. Just sneak into her room while she is asleep and you're all set. Since you are in your own home, chances of being caught are almost nil...

I heard of this tip from one of the various Oblivion threads out there on one of the various Oblivion sites... Can't remember which one currently however.. :(
    edited April 2006
    deicist- doesnt it say that the queen always eats at 8 pm. if your not completely sure, her maid will almost certainly be there at that time near her. if she isnt you can be fairly sure youve buggered it up :P

normally you cant sell quest items, (or normally get to/find them) before the quest (like the blade of woe or whatever its called, the dagger)

i finally finished theives guild quests. with the *final reward* i now have 131 sneak, :

rumour my friend told me * apparently you can get a suit of light and heavy armour which is above above anything else you get at your level, as well as rare weapons, in a tavern north of the sewer exit gate, the first one you come out of into the sun at the begginning of the game. the tavern is on the ring road around imperial;D
  • edited April 2006
    I have just found the best book in the game!

It may not be the most exciting but it proves that some of the greatest weapons and armour from Morrowind are also in Oblivion. Unfortunatly it does not list their positions.

The book can be found in "First Edition" in the Imperial City Market District, behind the counter on the bottom shelf of a bookcase. It is called something like "Tamierial Lore".

Just thought this might be interesting. I know the location of 3 or 4 of these artifacts. I've only had 2 or 3 of them though because I'm not sure if the Necromancers Amulet is in the book.

Got a tip for training Athletics too:

Use Auto-run (default "Q") up against the wall if you are going out somewhere or taking a break, your character will keep running into the wall and train Atletics at the same time.
  • edited April 2006
    If anyone reads the book and knows the whereabouts of Chrysamere or The Lord's Mail, tell me!!!

What should I do, now that I've completed the Arena and finished the Dark Brotherhood and Mages guild quests?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    rumour my friend told me * apparently you can get a suit of light and heavy armour which is above above anything else you get at your level, as well as rare weapons, in a tavern north of the sewer exit gate, the first one you come out of into the sun at the begginning of the game. the tavern is on the ring road around imperial;D

I'm not sure about the light armor, but I think I've been in the tavern you speak of, and there's a lady in there wearing a full suit of (heavy) Dwarven or Orcish (I don't remember which exactly) armor. You'd probably have to kill her to get it though.
    edited April 2006
    umbra sword is a daedra prince quest, and he wants a powerful champion to do his quest. lvl 20 ive heard on some forums
  • edited April 2006
    umbra sword is a daedra prince quest, and he wants a powerful champion to do his quest. lvl 20 ive heard on some forums

isn't that Goldbrand? You just have to kill Umbra in some ruins to get the sword and armour
    edited April 2006
    ulag-mor wrote:
    isn't that Goldbrand? You just have to kill Umbra in some ruins to get the sword and armour

It's both really....Umbra is part of a quest, but for some reason the door to the ruins she's in isn't locked, so you can get in there at any time even when not doing the quest.
    edited April 2006
    works pretty good, im level one, and my athletics are now 48, started at 15. I have a sneaking suspicion that I will also be able to train my sneak like this. Not sure if this is cheating, or taking advantage of the auto run, but it works.:tongue:

It works for sneak as well, but you have to be close to someone... basically the game only considers you to be 'sneaking' if someone would be able to see you if you stood up.
  • edited April 2006
    Does erm anyone know where to get Dragon armour from?