Bad Hdd Sectors .. NEED HELP !!!!!

edited April 2006 in Hardware
hy there , i`m new here and i`d like to tell you my problem.I have a 80Gb Maxtor Hdd , 8mb Buffer , Ata 133 .. and it looks like i have some bad sectors ... i checked it with a software and saw the bad sectors . How can i repair/delete them?
Thanks a lot

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2006
    What software did you use? If it wasn't the PowerMax program from Maxtor you should try that.

In my opinion, once a drive starts developing bad sectors you should replace it as soon as possible, it's only likely to get worse and worse. :(
  • sgtwilliamssgtwilliams Grand Rapids MI
    edited April 2006
    By the time Windows Event log is writing bad sectors you are on borrowed time.

If you are lucky enough to know about it ahead of time grab a USB drive move your important stuff and get a new Drive. Or if needed get a new drive reload, then slap the "bad" drive in as secondary and hope for the best.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    In my opinion, once a drive starts developing bad sectors you should replace it as soon as possible, it's only likely to get worse and worse. :(

Absolutely.. I totally agree. Every drive I've seen with bad sectors continues downhill :(
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Every second counts by this time, so basically make sure the machine is turned off every second it's not in use. The longer you leave it, the more will be damaged.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited April 2006
    The problem with downhill hard disk drives, is the in vain time spent on them trying to fix the problem.

Just get a new one for the peace of mind.

However I understand if you like to learn it all by yourself, so here is the address to Maxtors help and rescue software that you can play around with.

They should have an utility that enables you to make an low formatting of the drive.
    Bad sectors will be removed from being used by the system.

Note,
    If you install a new OS like Win-XP, then execute full NTFS formatting on the whole disk.
    It will also scan the disk for bad sectors and remove them.

Also I haven't got any Maxtors drives (only Hitachi @ Seagate) so I haven't used the Maxtor software.

Also you can download ultimate boot cd, and burn one bootable CD disk.
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/